Why does it seem God has a double standard

  • Thread starter Thread starter helpmelord
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

helpmelord

Guest
We are taught to treat others the way we wish to be treated…God wants us to say “yes” to him. I live every day of my life doing to and unto others as I would have others do and undo unto me, yet I’m to the point I’m afraid to provide acts of kindness to others because when I do, it seems like there is always something bad right around the corner waiting to happen to me for my good deeds. (No good deed goes unpunnished!) For instance, I was married for 13 years and I was a good and faithful wife and mother…this man was treated like a king and he repaid me by having an affair and marrying the woman he cheated with. I decided to remain single and devote my time to my children and God. My ex and his wife smoked around the children knowing they had asthema and they also had sex in front of them leading my oldest one to attempt suicide. My youngest almost died of meningitis…everything fell in my lap, my ex did nothing to help he only worked to make matters worse. He and is wife live very comfortably on a salary of $125,000 a year while I struggle (after losing my job due to the economy) on less than $24,000 a year. I have always had total responsiblity for the children while he just has a good time. One Sunday, I greeted at church for a 1/2 hour, passed out communion then proceeded to a nursing home where I passed out communion to the shut-ins for 2 hours. When I got back to the church, I had my car sitting in the parking lot with a flat tire. Two days later, my mother fell and cracked her head open, three days later I lost my job and two weeks later, my mother died. When I had a bad job in the past…the first job I had for a few years and I was going through a bitter divorce, the boss at this job was vicious to me. Every day I went home, locked myself in my room, cried and prayed that the next day would be better. Well, the next day was even worse than the day before. Every time I pray for something that would be good for me and my family, God always slams the door in my face while he askes something of me, we are expected to say yes right away and I do, but when I need something, I pray the rosary, say yes to God, etc., etc., etc., but I’m supposed to do it for like 20 years and after all that if God feels like it, he might give us a little bit of relief! I’m sorry if I sound so cold, but there were many a times I was greeting at church and I would have rather jumped off a bridge to my death because I have been so lost and depressed, but I glued a smile on my face and welcomed everyone entering the church including those who were responsible for my pain. I see people who have beautiful homes, new cars, vacations, big diamonds who never attend church who keep on getting. And here I am struggling to put food on the table and dispite my confusion continue to pray and thank God for what little we do have and yet I can’t even get enough numbers on my powerball to win a free ticket. My paster say’s you have to help with the miracle. Well, I do help, but God leaves me high and dry and all I see is him rewarding the ones who have pleanty and pounding those who are ready to give up on their faith for a lack of seeing God’s help.

I have had many rough times like this, but I think this gives you and idea of where I am going? If God is supposed to answer prayers if what you are asking for is for the good, Why then every time I pray that my son returns to Jesus (and believe me I have been saying rosaries for years) and he is as close to an athiest as you can get. He thinks it’s funny to punch 666 on the microwave and thinks the devil is cool. He is almost 19 years old. Why should I have to pray for the next 20 years to get this answered? Why should I have to pray and sacrifice for the next 30 years of my life hoping that one day I may be able to afford more than macaroni and cheese to feed my family??? Once, my ex was late on paying child support and I asked God…please, let my ex pay because I really need the money to support the family. Well, the next day I saw my ex made his $300 support payment and I was thanking God all the way to the bus stop only to arrive home and find a letter from child services. My ex wanted to regain his visitation and it was going to cost me $275 in court costs for this. So actually, I only received $25 support. My thank you was a bit premature! Does God enjoy playing mind games on those faithful to him? How can a good God treat someone like this. If a person did this to another person, it would be deeded evil so how can God be classified as good when he does evil things like this??? God screws with your mind and you are supposed to drop to your knees and kiss his feet. I am hanging onto my faith by a thread…please help me to believe and understand this insanity. Pull me up Lord!
 
Hi helpmelord,
I hope my answer can be of a bit of help to you. I’m not the best with people, so please forgive me if these aren’t the type of answer you were looking for - I have some theological ideas to help answer your question. Maybe you’re looking for emotional support? Anyway, I’ll give it a shot.
I have to say first, I haven’t experienced the trials you have gone through so I can’t really understand. But here are some answers I’ve found:
  1. The suffering we endure doing the right thing in this life is a blessing for us. It will mean less time in purgatory. To live in luxury is not a blessing at all, it will mean more suffering after death. So poverty might actually be a blessing.
  2. Suffering and problems can force us to pray. Prayer lets us grow closer to God. Being close to God is more important than anything else. If our suffering brings us closer to God, maybe it was worth it.
  3. Of all the sacrifices we can make for God, thanksgiving is the one God loves most. Pray to be able to see the good in the bad, so that you can thank God more fully for your life.
    P.S. welcome to the forum!
 
That sounds miserable. I have no idea how to answer your question. Please accept my prayers.
 
HelpmeLord, actually I do know how you feel. I have had the same kinds of things happen to me my entire life, from the time I was six years old. I don’t go into detail about them because people do not understand. Many would think I was either feeling sorry for myself or lying if I told a very straight version of the truth, so I don’t bother telling people. I used to believe I was cursed.

The answer for me is to rely more deeply and heavily on the Sacred Heart of Jesus and his Divine Mercy. Few of your peers may understand, but you do have peers in heaven. The saints have suffered even more, and they lovingly offer their friendship and intercession.
 
Why should you pray, sacrifice etc.? Because you love God. I often feel the same way, but I dont have to look very far before I see someone has suffered more than I. You have my prayers, especially for your son.

I am sure someone here can explain the pupose of suffering, I would like to hear it as well.
 
“There is no pit so deep but Christ is deeper still.”
-Corrie Ten Boom

Written in a nazi death camp.

I will pray for you.
 
Please know God is not doing these things.Satan came to steal,kill and destroy your faith.Thats his goal for all of us.Sometimes we look around and see that some people seem to prosper even though they make no attempt to live for the Lord.Their success is only temperal.There is a judgement.Things happen in my life I don’t understand.I tell the Lord this and try to understand that :no weapon formed against me shall prosper(Is.54:17)We are partakers in Christ’s sufferings(1Pe.4:12-13,1Pe.5:6-11)And also as St.Paul Stated in Ro.8:18:For I reckon that the suffering of this present tim are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.You are not alone.Praying for you,your son and family.May the peace of our Lord be with you.Rocky.:signofcross:
 
Hi helpmelord,
I hope my answer can be of a bit of help to you. I’m not the best with people, so please forgive me if these aren’t the type of answer you were looking for - I have some theological ideas to help answer your question. Maybe you’re looking for emotional support? Anyway, I’ll give it a shot.
I have to say first, I haven’t experienced the trials you have gone through so I can’t really understand. But here are some answers I’ve found:
  1. The suffering we endure doing the right thing in this life is a blessing for us. It will mean less time in purgatory. To live in luxury is not a blessing at all, it will mean more suffering after death. So poverty might actually be a blessing.
  2. Suffering and problems can force us to pray. Prayer lets us grow closer to God. Being close to God is more important than anything else. If our suffering brings us closer to God, maybe it was worth it.
  3. Of all the sacrifices we can make for God, thanksgiving is the one God loves most. Pray to be able to see the good in the bad, so that you can thank God more fully for your life.
    P.S. welcome to the forum!
Thank you, that does help…it’s just there are so many people in this world. It’s not like I want anything bad to happen to other people, I just wish God would give me about a 6 month break!
 
That sounds miserable. I have no idea how to answer your question. Please accept my prayers.
I don’t know if you ever saw the Passion of the Christ, but the way Jesus looked after his beating is the way I feel on the inside. Thank you for listening and for your prayers!

Merry Christmas
 
HelpmeLord, actually I do know how you feel. I have had the same kinds of things happen to me my entire life, from the time I was six years old. I don’t go into detail about them because people do not understand. Many would think I was either feeling sorry for myself or lying if I told a very straight version of the truth, so I don’t bother telling people. I used to believe I was cursed.

The answer for me is to rely more deeply and heavily on the Sacred Heart of Jesus and his Divine Mercy. Few of your peers may understand, but you do have peers in heaven. The saints have suffered even more, and they lovingly offer their friendship and intercession.
Thanks…I know what you mean about people thinking you are feeling sorry for yourself…I’m not, I’m just looking to understand. I too feel like I was cursed as I was physically and mentally abused by my mother since I was 2 years old. Some of it I don’t even remember, my older sister filled me in. I remember from when I was three years old though. Even though I don’t undestand it all, God give me strength to endure it!

Merry Christmas
 
Why should you pray, sacrifice etc.? Because you love God. I often feel the same way, but I dont have to look very far before I see someone has suffered more than I. You have my prayers, especially for your son.

I am sure someone here can explain the pupose of suffering, I would like to hear it as well.
Thank you and Merry Christmas.
 
Please know God is not doing these things.Satan came to steal,kill and destroy your faith.Thats his goal for all of us.Sometimes we look around and see that some people seem to prosper even though they make no attempt to live for the Lord.Their success is only temperal.There is a judgement.Things happen in my life I don’t understand.I tell the Lord this and try to understand that :no weapon formed against me shall prosper(Is.54:17)We are partakers in Christ’s sufferings(1Pe.4:12-13,1Pe.5:6-11)And also as St.Paul Stated in Ro.8:18:For I reckon that the suffering of this present tim are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.You are not alone.Praying for you,your son and family.May the peace of our Lord be with you.Rocky.:signofcross:
I realize it is actually the devil trying to shake our faith which is something I will never allow…however, God has to permit Satin do proceed. I can understand God wanting to test our faith, but does he need to do it every hour of every day?

Thank you and Merry Christmas.
 
🙂 hi helpmelord: you have the greatest faith of any one i have ever met here at CAF or any where else in my life time…most people had they lived your life would have gave up on God,but you certainly haven’t: not by a long shot.
you are definately a living SAINT,God bless you.
 
🙂 hi helpmelord: you have the greatest faith of any one i have ever met here at CAF or any where else in my life time…most people had they lived your life would have gave up on God,but you certainly haven’t: not by a long shot.
you are definately a living SAINT,God bless you.
I think you’ve left most of us gasping for air with all the sadness and troubles of your life. Many of us know what you mean to some degree or other. The thought that came into my mind, apart from the fact that when by God’s mercy I’ll meet you in heaven with the biggest hug my spirit can give, was **Isaiah 52 verses 13-15 through Isaiah 53, verses 1-12 There you will find the story of your life in Christ’s image. **Carefully note verses 11-12

I was looking through my files for the full copy of the text to post, when I came across this file
"At times, it is true, this divine Savior makes us feel all the bitterness of the chalice that he is offering our soul. When he asks the sacrifice of all that is dearest in this world, it is impossible, without a very special grace, not to cry out like him in the garden of agony: “Father, let this chalice pass from me…however, may your will be done and not mine.”

It is very consoling to think that Jesus, the Strong God, knew our weaknesses, that he trembled at the sight of the bitter chalice, this chalice that he had in the past so ardently desired to drink…

Your lot is very beautiful since Our Lord chose it for himself and since he first wet his lips with the cup he is offering you.

A saint has said: “The greatest honor God can give a soul is not to give it much but to ask much from it!” Jesus is treating you then as a privileged one. He wills that you already begin your mission and that through suffering you may save souls. Is it not in suffering, in dying that he himself redeemed the world?..I know you aspire to the joy of sacrificing your life for the divine Master, but martyrdom of the heart is not less fruitful than the pouring out of one’s blood, and now this martyrdom is yours. I am right, then, in saying that your lot is beautiful, that it is worthy of an apostle of Christ…

Let us work together for the salvation of souls; we have only the one day of this life to save them and thus to give the Lord proofs of our love. The tomorrow of this day will be eternity, and then Jesus will restore to you a hundredfold the very sweet and very legitimate joys that you sacrificed for him. …From a letter by St. Therese of Lisieux

With love and prayer…and whenever I feel sorry for myself I’ll think of you, Love…
your sister Trishie
 
I heard a quote today that saud “Without suffering, there would be no compassion.”

My life hasn’t exactly been hunky-dory, and I know exactly how you feel. You really sound like me on my bad days. I feel like I’ve “played by the rules” and I’ve just got slammed time and time again. Although, I will say I haven’t faced anything quite as crushing as an unfaithful spouse.

All I can really say is that it sounds like you are a powerful woman of God, or satan would not be after you this much. God isn’t doing any of this to you, but satan is. Continue to pray! I am sure your prayers are very powerful, and your faith is deeper than you think to endure all this. Continue to stand strong, and know that this is satan attacking you.

As far as your son goes, I want to point you to the story of St. Monica, who prayed for her whole family (including her sons) and she saw them all (husband and sons) turn to Christ. One of these boys was St. Augustine. Continue to be a godly woman and a godly example to your son and you don’t know when that will come through for him. But I am sure it will.

God is doing marvelous things in you, I believe that with all my heart, because if he wasn’t, satan wouldn’t be after you. I will pray for you, and keep running the good race!👍
 
I think it’s important for you to know that we don’t imagine that our caring words will eliminate and prevent future waves of similar interior struggle and sense of being crucified in your life. I know I woke up at 4 am last night and was struggling with a pale shadow of what you are, and even wondering if my presence for my sisters and brothers on the forum as a prayer warrior was ineffectual

but then hours later when I checked my PM Box I found this message from a poster with whom I’ve had no previous engagement
Hi there, Trishie. . .
I just wanted to let you know how much I love reading your responses. They simply radiate the kindness of Christ-like love, something I’d do well to imitate.
So thank you for sharing the Love that is in you, the Love from Whom ALL blessings flow! God bless you this Christmas, Trishie.
Kindly,

and it helped…because we can only go from day to day, and I know this is how you live…with the burdens you bear there’s no other way.

Do reach out for us any time you need to, don’t feel, I can’t bother them again, because that’s not how we feel.

Maybe print out our responses to you today and keep them to read again when you wish to be reminded that others are praying for you.

For myself I ask Jesus to place you, always, in my prayers and Masses each day for all of my life whether I think of you when my hair finally turns white and I’m a bit more forgetful than usual or not…so you’ll be in my prayers and daily Masses as long as I live…Trishie
 
I will keep you in my prayers. You are a shining witness to those who are also suffering around you because You have acknowledge all these and yet I know deep within your heart you also know that God still works and will continue to work in your life. No matter how hard it may seem, no matter how unbearable it may be, just know that God is still at work. He works for all the good of those who trust in Him. He works in ways we cannot comprehend and understand and yet, at the end of it all, His glory is revealed and His goodness is forevermore praised. I pray for that day for you and your family. For now, I claim God’s victory in your life.
May the good Lord be with you always
 
I heard a quote today that saud “Without suffering, there would be no compassion.”

My life hasn’t exactly been hunky-dory, and I know exactly how you feel. You really sound like me on my bad days. I feel like I’ve “played by the rules” and I’ve just got slammed time and time again. Although, I will say I haven’t faced anything quite as crushing as an unfaithful spouse.

All I can really say is that it sounds like you are a powerful woman of God, or satan would not be after you this much. God isn’t doing any of this to you, but satan is. Continue to pray! I am sure your prayers are very powerful, and your faith is deeper than you think to endure all this. Continue to stand strong, and know that this is satan attacking you.

As far as your son goes, I want to point you to the story of St. Monica, who prayed for her whole family (including her sons) and she saw them all (husband and sons) turn to Christ. One of these boys was St. Augustine. Continue to be a godly woman and a godly example to your son and you don’t know when that will come through for him. But I am sure it will.

God is doing marvelous things in you, I believe that with all my heart, because if he wasn’t, satan wouldn’t be after you. I will pray for you, and keep running the good race!👍
I know I can never let go of my faith. I know how hard the devil is trying to pull me under…but that will not happen…he will not succeed because when you give in to him, all is lost!

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top