Why does it seem God has a double standard

  • Thread starter Thread starter helpmelord
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m reminded of a story about St. Teresa of Avila. Once, when she was going through a particularly difficult time, she complained about it to our Lord. Jesus answered her, “But Teresa. That’s how I treat my friends.”

She immediately snapped back, “No wonder you have so few!”

God once gave St. John of the Cross the opportunity to ask Him for anything he desired. You’ll never guess what he asked for. He asked that he be allowed the privilege of suffering greatly.

I read somewhere that if the angels in heaven were capable of envy, they would envy us two things. The first is the Eucharist. The second is our ability to suffer.

When we look at suffering the way the world does, all we see is its awfulness. But when God looks at it, I think He sees far more than that. He sees it battling sin. Look what Christ’s suffering did. Look at what our suffering does, which is why St. Paul could say, “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the affictions of Christ on behalf f his body, which is the church.” (Colossians 1:24)

You said you sometimes feel like Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. I don’t know if you realize just what you said there. You said you feel Christ-like–and you are right.

Please lay all of this at the feet of Christ. Please remember to offer up all you’re going through for the salvation of souls. God, by allowing your suffering, has sent you a powerful weapon in the battle against darkness.
 
Adding my prayers for you and your family, especially at Christmas time.
 
I’m reminded of a story about St. Teresa of Avila. Once, when she was going through a particularly difficult time, she complained about it to our Lord. Jesus answered her, “But Teresa. That’s how I treat my friends.”

She immediately snapped back, “No wonder you have so few!”

God once gave St. John of the Cross the opportunity to ask Him for anything he desired. You’ll never guess what he asked for. He asked that he be allowed the privilege of suffering greatly.

I read somewhere that if the angels in heaven were capable of envy, they would envy us two things. The first is the Eucharist. The second is our ability to suffer.

When we look at suffering the way the world does, all we see is its awfulness. But when God looks at it, I think He sees far more than that. He sees it battling sin. Look what Christ’s suffering did. Look at what our suffering does, which is why St. Paul could say, “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the affictions of Christ on behalf f his body, which is the church.” (Colossians 1:24)

You said you sometimes feel like Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. I don’t know if you realize just what you said there. You said you feel Christ-like–and you are right.

Please lay all of this at the feet of Christ. Please remember to offer up all you’re going through for the salvation of souls. God, by allowing your suffering, has sent you a powerful weapon in the battle against darkness.
I had to laugh at the response St. Teresa gave in return. When I made the statement about feeling like Christ in the movie the Passion what I meant was the way he was all battered an bruised on the outside after his beating, I feel beaten up like that on the inside. I know my suffering is nothing compared to our Lord, but it feels like I have been pistol whipped and everytime I try to get up, I get a knee to the gut and knocked back down again. (I hope that makes more sense)! Dispite everything I have been through, I do my best to convey hope and faith to those I come in contact with that are suffering and losing faith. Thank you for your words and have a Beautiful Christmas!
 
When it comes to crosses, your post shows me that you have being given the gift of faith in abundance and an ability to carry more weight than the others you wrote about in your first post. I also think that God loves you very much and you will be rewarded for your patience.

I’ll be praying that He gives you graces to carry these crosses and that you don’t receive more than you can bear.
 
When it comes to crosses, your post shows me that you have being given the gift of faith in abundance and an ability to carry more weight than the others you wrote about in your first post. I also think that God loves you very much and you will be rewarded for your patience.

I’ll be praying that He gives you graces to carry these crosses and that you don’t receive more than you can bear.
Thank you…I hear so many times from my family members (sisters) that all my pain is my own doing because I didn’t date my husband for a bazzillion years before I married him (he was nice when we dated and turned into Jekel and Hyde after) and that because of that choice, my life would be miserable. 😦
 
.God wants us to say “yes” to him.
To Him not to others.
My ex and his wife smoked around the children knowing they had asthema and they also had sex in front of them leading my oldest one to attempt suicide.
Were you there when they did this? How could you allow that?
Every time I pray for something that would be good for me and my family, God always slams the door in my face while he askes something of me, we are expected to say yes right away and I do,
Is it because you allow others to take advantage of you?
I am hanging onto my faith by a thread…please help me to believe and understand this insanity. Pull me up Lord!
Maybe you have to stand up more for yourself.
 
Were you there when they did this?
If children are with the other parent during a period of joint custody there is very little you can do. She would have to *prove * that her ex and the new wife had sex on a regular basis in front of the child on purpose, and she would have to prove that the suicide attempt was the other parent’s fault. That is very difficult to do in a court setting, and it is also extraordinarily expense to attempt to do those things. Thousands and thousands of dollars.

It does not sound like she ever had a divorce lawyer. It sounds like she established child support through the state. Otherwise, the state would not have taken her child support for a legal action her ex wanted to take (restoring visitation). That never would fly in any family court where she had legal represenation. If she had a lawyer, she never would have been getting $300 a month in child support when her ex and his new wife made $125,000 a year, but now that her son is 19 there’s nothing she can do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top