B
Bohm_Bawerk
Guest
In Matthew 5:15, Jesus says: “Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:15-16). What Jesus is saying in these verses is that believers should practice good deeds in public, in the hope that it may be seen by men and give glory to god. It has parallels to St. Francis of Assisi’s advice: “Preach the gospel at all times - use words when necessary”.
But Jesus proceeds to go on to criticize: “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:5-6). This, however, is a contradiction of Jesus’ earlier advice for his followers to practice their deeds out in open so that their good works may give glory to god. What we find here is that in a rapid turn of events, Jesus is now telling his followers to pray in secret so that they may receive all of the alleged rewards in an afterlife by his “Heavenly Father” rather than receiving an earthly, temporal reward of applause by men.
Can anyone care to explain the contradiction? Please don’t give me, "oh, that’s sola scriptura, the Church says XYZ [insert long passage from Catechism]. That’s circular logic - “the Bible is correct because the Church says so”. That’s tantamount to, “the Quran is correct because a Muslim scholar says so” or “The God Delusion is correct because Richard Dawkins says so”. It’s also important to note that I’m not “nitpicking” verses so to speak. I’ve clearly understood the context, and I think I’m proposing this question in an atmosphere that’s just.
But Jesus proceeds to go on to criticize: “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:5-6). This, however, is a contradiction of Jesus’ earlier advice for his followers to practice their deeds out in open so that their good works may give glory to god. What we find here is that in a rapid turn of events, Jesus is now telling his followers to pray in secret so that they may receive all of the alleged rewards in an afterlife by his “Heavenly Father” rather than receiving an earthly, temporal reward of applause by men.
Can anyone care to explain the contradiction? Please don’t give me, "oh, that’s sola scriptura, the Church says XYZ [insert long passage from Catechism]. That’s circular logic - “the Bible is correct because the Church says so”. That’s tantamount to, “the Quran is correct because a Muslim scholar says so” or “The God Delusion is correct because Richard Dawkins says so”. It’s also important to note that I’m not “nitpicking” verses so to speak. I’ve clearly understood the context, and I think I’m proposing this question in an atmosphere that’s just.