F
FuzzyBunny116
Guest
I know that it never says “its right,” but it never says that its wrong either.
Please don’t take anything I say as condoning slavery, especially the exploitive practices that developed as economies developed beginning after the Dark Ages.I know that it never says “its right,” but it never says that its wrong either.
Generally, i would disagree with this teaching. I think it would be against the natural law for a white European to hold title over an African man or woman, and to be his or her slave master. I think it is wrong and that such a title would be unjust.Slavery is like gambling, or war. It can be justified in moderation…if you treat the slaves kindly, and have just title to them, etc…it is not against natural or divine law intrinsically for one man to have title to a lifetime of labor from another man.
Depends how they got that man or woman.Generally, i would disagree with this teaching. I think it would be against the natural law for a white European to hold title over an African man or woman, and to be his or her slave master. I think it is wrong and that such a title would be unjust.
My personal opinion is that it would **not **depend on how they got that man or woman. I think that it is wrong for a white European to enslave an African man or woman in any case. I am strongly opposed to the enslavement of African women by the European white male as this leads to prostituion in many cases. So I disagree with you that it depends on how they got her.Depends how they got that man or woman.
.
Where are you getting your information?But that doesn’t mean that war or slavery cannot theoretically be justified and carried out in a moral way.
The Catholic Encyclopedia:Where are you getting your information?
I don’t agree with the teaching that slavery is morally licit. I think it is always wrong to enslave people. I am especially opposed to the enslavement of African women by the European white male. It inevitably leads to prostitution and implicit in the enslavement of African women is the idea that the white European male is somehow superior to the African. I thought that Abraham Lincoln made a brave stand in hie opposition to slavery and many good and decent people died in the US civil war in the fight against slavery. It is simply wrong to take people from their families and homes in African, whip them, place them in chains, tie them down on boats, and bring them as slaves to the USA to be used as slaves for the Catholic Dominicans, Jesuits, Franciscans and Carmelites in the New World. According to the book, “The Slave Trade,” by Hugh Thomas, page 437:“The French Father Labat, on his arrival at the prosperous Caribbean colony of Martinique in 1693, described how his monastery, with its nine brothers, owned a sugar mill worked by water and tended by thrity-five slaves, of whom eight or ten were old or sick, and about fifteen badly nourished children.”The point is the same as I made earlier. Slavery is morally licit if it is imposed for a time or perpetually to satisfy justice. .
The Bible most certainly is the be-all. It says “do unto others as you would have others do unto you”. I don’t think you would want to be a slave …would you? The Bible doesn’t condemn slavery and it doesn’t promote women’s rights either. It doesn’t promote anyone’s rights. It calls for people to take up their cross and forget about their own rights. Jesus gave up his rights when he went to the cross. The Bible says that sin is the reason for all social injustice and it tells us what happens to people when they chose a sinful life. It also shows us how an individuals sin affects other human beings. One thing is for sure once an individual accepts Jesus as their Lord and Savior and they begin to conform to his image they will not want to oppress people with slavery or deny women their dignity. They will become less concerned about their own rights and become more concerned about treating other people the right way.Because God never intended the bible to be the be-all, end all sourcebook of morality and truth. That’s a protestant notion.
As catholics, we need have no fear of admitting that as of the time the canon of scripture was closed, humanity had not yet grasped all the implications of being created in the image and likeness of God and that such dignity was fundamentally incompatible with chattle slavery.
Hey, it’s one of the major perks of being catholic: we don’t have to reinvent the moral / spiritual wheel every generation!