T
TrueLight
Guest
You are right. That is holding me up. Years of indoctrination. Although I do believe in biblical references as much as possible, I am beginning to understand the concept of tradition, which I do find beautiful.I think my dear friend that one of the issues hanging you up is the belief that everything we do today must be explicitly spelled out in Scripture.
What may help is to keep in mind that the Church holds both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition in equal standing and our faith practices are built on both, neither contradicting the other.
But also, for me it would help if I knew the Apostles or immediate predecessors also followed this tradition as opposed to something that developed 400 years down the road. I don’t believe the church is infallible. Should I?
I do realized I have a lot to learn about church history.
The early Church Fathers were the first “recorders” if you will of that Sacred Tradition which we carry on today. If the early Church did not baptize infants then I am certain that Tradition would have been carried down from the Apostles to the early Fathers to today through the Papacy and Magisterium. If the Magisterium suddenly decided that now we can baptize infants, it would have been recorded.
My takeaway point is that when you look at the rituals and teachings of the Church you need to keep in mind you are looking at 2,000 years of continuous guidance under the Holy Spirit starting from the hands-on and oral teaching of Jesus, passing on to the Apostles (with some of it being recorded in Scripture) through the Magisterium and Papacy up to today.
Thank you. Very helpful.Sorry if I rambled, hope it helps.