Why does the Catholic Church use the term "Conversion" when talking about a Protestant becoming a Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReturningToRome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ReturningToRome

Guest
Protestants are offended by this since they are already Christians. And in Scripture that term is used to describe an unbeliever becoming a believer, as in Acts 15:3 and Romans 16:5. Thanks for your insights.šŸ™‚
 
In Scripture there was only one body of believers, there was none of the denominations we have today. So there could only be an unbeliever becoming a believer, there simply could not be a believer from another church coming to a different one.

Saying someone converted doesn’t mean they weren’t already Christians. It merely says they were not Catholics and became so. It has no implications on what they were previously.
 
Technically baptised Christians are not converted, they are received into full Communion. They are not called catechumens but candidates.

Non-technically, we really don’t have another word to describe the process of entering the Church from one of the separated communions - or at least I can’t think of one.

Also worth noting that for Catholics, conversion is not a one-time thing but a process to which each of us is called, on a daily basis - to ā€œturn away from sin and embrace the gospel.ā€ The Catechism uses the term ā€œconversionā€ in this sense over and over again.
 
Probably because the Catholic Church doesn’t bother with every straw man argument people come up with. Therefore, the Church doesn’t worry about coming up with another word to describe the process of ā€˜converting’ from one denomination to another.

This would be like me being offended every time a Protestant asks me if I’m saved, because my definition of being saved is different than theirs, and then asking them why they continue to use the term even though I’m offended by it.
 
Also worth noting that for Catholics, conversion is not a one-time thing but a process to which each of us is called, on a daily basis - to ā€œturn away from sin and embrace the gospel.ā€ The Catechism uses the term ā€œconversionā€ in this sense over and over again.
This is very true. Conversion is one of the three vows of Cistercian Monks… Stability, Obedience and Ongoing Conversion.

-Tim-
 
In RCIA, a distinction ought to be made between a convert, and a Christian who is pursuing full communion. Here is a quote from the National Statutes for the Catechumenate (USA).

The term ā€œcatechumenā€ should be strictly reserved for the unbaptized who have been admitted into the order of catechumens; the term ā€œconvertā€ should be reserved strictly for those converted from unbelief to Christian belief and never used of those baptized Christians who are received into the full communion of the Catholic Church.

However, it is unlikely that you will see this well-observed in practice, since the English word ā€œconvertā€ is often used in our society for changes in belief or affiliation. I was raised Methodist and become Catholic once older, and I did not perceive this as a change in religion, so I know what you mean. I frequently have designated myself as a convert, so that I will be understood. When I say ā€œconvertā€, I know it will be understood that I was not raised Catholic, with one convenient word.
 
In RCIA, a distinction ought to be made between a convert, and a Christian who is pursuing full communion. Here is a quote from the National Statutes for the Catechumenate (USA).
The term ā€œcatechumenā€ should be strictly reserved for the unbaptized who have been admitted into the order of catechumens; the term ā€œconvertā€ should be reserved strictly for those converted from unbelief to Christian belief and never used of those baptized Christians who are received into the full communion of the Catholic Church.

However, it is unlikely that you will see this well-observed in practice, since the English word ā€œconvertā€ is often used in our society for changes in belief or affiliation. I was raised Methodist and become Catholic once older, and I did not perceive this as a change in religion, so I know what you mean. I frequently have designated myself as a convert, so that I will be understood. When I say ā€œconvertā€, I know it will be understood that I was not raised Catholic, with one convenient word.
At the parish where I was Confirmed, they have always made the dinstinction between the catechumen and the candidates very clearly. Colloquially, however, every former-Protestant I’ve met there - and we have dozens - calls him- or herself a convert.

Personally, I find this term perfectly appropriate, especially given the deffinition I was always taught by the Christian Reformed Church (Calvinist) in which I was raised. The denomenation that brought me up defined conversion a ā€œ180-degree turnā€ from the rejection of God to acceptance of Him and His teachings. While I did, indeed, seek to follow His Truth in the CRC, I was ā€œconvertedā€ because I came to see that the founder(s) of that tradition built it, and thus my Calvinist worldview, on the direct rejection of the Church that Christ founded (i.e. on the direct rejection of the Body of Christ). Therefore I see myself as a convert because, the moment I realized I was actually standing with my back to Christ (albeit inadvertantly), I made a 180-degree turn by the grace of God and come home to the Church that my ancestors turned their backs on. Therefore, offensive or not, I find it completely resonant with my experience to call myself a Catholic convert.
 
At the parish where I was Confirmed, they have always made the dinstinction between the catechumen and the candidates very clearly. Colloquially, however, every former-Protestant I’ve met there - and we have dozens - calls him- or herself a convert.

Personally, I find this term perfectly appropriate, especially given the deffinition I was always taught by the Christian Reformed Church (Calvinist) in which I was raised. The denomenation that brought me up defined conversion a ā€œ180-degree turnā€ from the rejection of God to acceptance of Him and His teachings. While I did, indeed, seek to follow His Truth in the CRC, I was ā€œconvertedā€ because I came to see that the founder(s) of that tradition built it, and thus my Calvinist worldview, on the direct rejection of the Church that Christ founded (i.e. on the direct rejection of the Body of Christ). Therefore I see myself as a convert because, the moment I realized I was actually standing with my back to Christ (albeit inadvertantly), I made a 180-degree turn by the grace of God and come home to the Church that my ancestors turned their backs on. Therefore, offensive or not, I find it completely resonant with my experience to call myself a Catholic convert.
I’m glad your parish does a good job with the distinction. šŸ™‚ Ours has improved a lot in that regard. I understand your analogy to a 180 degree turn. So much of the bible talks of returning or turning to God. A particular line that comes to my mind right now (quoted from the Douay Rheims) is
Lamentations 5:21 Convert us, O Lord, to thee, and we shall be converted: renew our days, as from the beginning.
I’m not sure why this verse comes to mind here, but it does. So does this one, quoted from the RSV, but if I chose the DR again, you would see the word ā€œconvertedā€ there
1 Peter 2:25 For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.
Perhaps these come to mind because we must always think of these verses as we continue our lives.
 
n. (knvĆ»rt) Meaning of ā€˜convert’
One who has been converted, especially from one religion or belief to another.

Convert actually has broad meanings, and is not a derogatory term when used in the context you mention.
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/convert

Definition of CONVERT

transitive verb
1
a : to bring over from one belief, view, or party to another

thefreedictionary.com/convert

God bless you šŸ™‚

Warmly, Trishie
 
I’m glad your parish does a good job with the distinction. šŸ™‚ Ours has improved a lot in that regard. I understand your analogy to a 180 degree turn. So much of the bible talks of returning or turning to God. A particular line that comes to my mind right now (quoted from the Douay Rheims) is
Lamentations 5:21 Convert us, O Lord, to thee, and we shall be converted: renew our days, as from the beginning.
I’m not sure why this verse comes to mind here, but it does. So does this one, quoted from the RSV, but if I chose the DR again, you would see the word ā€œconvertedā€ there
1 Peter 2:25 For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.
Perhaps these come to mind because we must always think of these verses as we continue our lives.
Mmmm. I do particularly like I Peter 2:25. Not only is it pretty much the exact description of both my initial conversion to Rome and also of the continuing conversion of every Christian (myself included), but it’s also taken straight from the very first Papal encyclical ever! šŸ‘ 😃
 
At the parish where I was Confirmed, they have always made the dinstinction between the catechumen and the candidates very clearly. Colloquially, however, every former-Protestant I’ve met there - and we have dozens - calls him- or herself a convert.

Personally, I find this term perfectly appropriate, especially given the deffinition I was always taught by the Christian Reformed Church (Calvinist) in which I was raised. The denomenation that brought me up defined conversion a ā€œ180-degree turnā€ from the rejection of God to acceptance of Him and His teachings. While I did, indeed, seek to follow His Truth in the CRC, I was ā€œconvertedā€ because I came to see that the founder(s) of that tradition built it, and thus my Calvinist worldview, on the direct rejection of the Church that Christ founded (i.e. on the direct rejection of the Body of Christ). Therefore I see myself as a convert because, the moment I realized I was actually standing with my back to Christ (albeit inadvertantly), I made a 180-degree turn by the grace of God and come home to the Church that my ancestors turned their backs on. Therefore, offensive or not, I find it completely resonant with my experience to call myself a Catholic convert.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. But having been a Lutheran many years, with many good, holy Lutheran (and other Protestant) friends and family (including my wife), my loved ones and I are intimately experiencing the pain of the wounds in the Body of Christ since I have become a Catholic. The Catechism in 817 - 822 addresses this wound, and how the Church should desire and work to heal it: ā€œThe desire to recover the unity of all Christians is a gift of Christ and a call of the Holy Spirit.ā€ (CC 820) Interestingly, ā€œconversion of heart as the faithful try to live holier lives according to the Gospelā€ is mentioned as one requirement in order to respond adequately.
 
Yes, I understand what you are saying. But having been a Lutheran many years, with many good, holy Lutheran (and other Protestant) friends and family (including my wife), my loved ones and I are intimately experiencing the pain of the wounds in the Body of Christ since I have become a Catholic. The Catechism in 817 - 822 addresses this wound, and how the Church should desire and work to heal it: ā€œThe desire to recover the unity of all Christians is a gift of Christ and a call of the Holy Spirit.ā€ (CC 820) Interestingly, ā€œconversion of heart as the faithful try to live holier lives according to the Gospelā€ is mentioned as one requirement in order to respond adequately.
My family is experiencing the same wounds since my parents are still Protestant - originally Christian Reformed, now more… whatever church meets their fancy (Pentecostal, Baptist, etc.) where they live. My wife’s parents are still Free Methodist, though her younger brother and his wife just became Catholic this past Easter. One of her two remaining grandparents is Catholic (the other suffers from schizophrenia, so I’m not sure what she believes), and all four of my grandparents are Christian Reformed. My Mom’s parents know we’re Catholic and are supportive/respectful, and my dad’s, well… no one has told them, as far as we know, and if they do know we’re pretty sure they’d prefer to never speak of it (although if they don’t know, they’ll probably find out when they ask us why we name our as-yet-unborn son what we’re planning to name him - don’t ask, it’s a secret till he pops out šŸ‘; could be a very interesting conversation)…

All that being said, in the muddle of all those wounds to unity, no one has ever expressed any discomfort or even confusion with respect to our using the word ā€œconversionā€ to refer to our journey across the Tiber. 🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top