R
ReturningToRome
Guest
Protestants are offended by this since they are already Christians. And in Scripture that term is used to describe an unbeliever becoming a believer, as in Acts 15:3 and Romans 16:5. Thanks for your insights.
This is very true. Conversion is one of the three vows of Cistercian Monks⦠Stability, Obedience and Ongoing Conversion.Also worth noting that for Catholics, conversion is not a one-time thing but a process to which each of us is called, on a daily basis - to āturn away from sin and embrace the gospel.ā The Catechism uses the term āconversionā in this sense over and over again.
At the parish where I was Confirmed, they have always made the dinstinction between the catechumen and the candidates very clearly. Colloquially, however, every former-Protestant Iāve met there - and we have dozens - calls him- or herself a convert.In RCIA, a distinction ought to be made between a convert, and a Christian who is pursuing full communion. Here is a quote from the National Statutes for the Catechumenate (USA).
The term ācatechumenā should be strictly reserved for the unbaptized who have been admitted into the order of catechumens; the term āconvertā should be reserved strictly for those converted from unbelief to Christian belief and never used of those baptized Christians who are received into the full communion of the Catholic Church.
However, it is unlikely that you will see this well-observed in practice, since the English word āconvertā is often used in our society for changes in belief or affiliation. I was raised Methodist and become Catholic once older, and I did not perceive this as a change in religion, so I know what you mean. I frequently have designated myself as a convert, so that I will be understood. When I say āconvertā, I know it will be understood that I was not raised Catholic, with one convenient word.
Iām glad your parish does a good job with the distinction.At the parish where I was Confirmed, they have always made the dinstinction between the catechumen and the candidates very clearly. Colloquially, however, every former-Protestant Iāve met there - and we have dozens - calls him- or herself a convert.
Personally, I find this term perfectly appropriate, especially given the deffinition I was always taught by the Christian Reformed Church (Calvinist) in which I was raised. The denomenation that brought me up defined conversion a ā180-degree turnā from the rejection of God to acceptance of Him and His teachings. While I did, indeed, seek to follow His Truth in the CRC, I was āconvertedā because I came to see that the founder(s) of that tradition built it, and thus my Calvinist worldview, on the direct rejection of the Church that Christ founded (i.e. on the direct rejection of the Body of Christ). Therefore I see myself as a convert because, the moment I realized I was actually standing with my back to Christ (albeit inadvertantly), I made a 180-degree turn by the grace of God and come home to the Church that my ancestors turned their backs on. Therefore, offensive or not, I find it completely resonant with my experience to call myself a Catholic convert.
Mmmm. I do particularly like I Peter 2:25. Not only is it pretty much the exact description of both my initial conversion to Rome and also of the continuing conversion of every Christian (myself included), but itās also taken straight from the very first Papal encyclical ever!Iām glad your parish does a good job with the distinction.Ours has improved a lot in that regard. I understand your analogy to a 180 degree turn. So much of the bible talks of returning or turning to God. A particular line that comes to my mind right now (quoted from the Douay Rheims) is
Lamentations 5:21 Convert us, O Lord, to thee, and we shall be converted: renew our days, as from the beginning.
Iām not sure why this verse comes to mind here, but it does. So does this one, quoted from the RSV, but if I chose the DR again, you would see the word āconvertedā there
1 Peter 2:25 For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.
Perhaps these come to mind because we must always think of these verses as we continue our lives.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. But having been a Lutheran many years, with many good, holy Lutheran (and other Protestant) friends and family (including my wife), my loved ones and I are intimately experiencing the pain of the wounds in the Body of Christ since I have become a Catholic. The Catechism in 817 - 822 addresses this wound, and how the Church should desire and work to heal it: āThe desire to recover the unity of all Christians is a gift of Christ and a call of the Holy Spirit.ā (CC 820) Interestingly, āconversion of heart as the faithful try to live holier lives according to the Gospelā is mentioned as one requirement in order to respond adequately.At the parish where I was Confirmed, they have always made the dinstinction between the catechumen and the candidates very clearly. Colloquially, however, every former-Protestant Iāve met there - and we have dozens - calls him- or herself a convert.
Personally, I find this term perfectly appropriate, especially given the deffinition I was always taught by the Christian Reformed Church (Calvinist) in which I was raised. The denomenation that brought me up defined conversion a ā180-degree turnā from the rejection of God to acceptance of Him and His teachings. While I did, indeed, seek to follow His Truth in the CRC, I was āconvertedā because I came to see that the founder(s) of that tradition built it, and thus my Calvinist worldview, on the direct rejection of the Church that Christ founded (i.e. on the direct rejection of the Body of Christ). Therefore I see myself as a convert because, the moment I realized I was actually standing with my back to Christ (albeit inadvertantly), I made a 180-degree turn by the grace of God and come home to the Church that my ancestors turned their backs on. Therefore, offensive or not, I find it completely resonant with my experience to call myself a Catholic convert.
My family is experiencing the same wounds since my parents are still Protestant - originally Christian Reformed, now more⦠whatever church meets their fancy (Pentecostal, Baptist, etc.) where they live. My wifeās parents are still Free Methodist, though her younger brother and his wife just became Catholic this past Easter. One of her two remaining grandparents is Catholic (the other suffers from schizophrenia, so Iām not sure what she believes), and all four of my grandparents are Christian Reformed. My Momās parents know weāre Catholic and are supportive/respectful, and my dadās, well⦠no one has told them, as far as we know, and if they do know weāre pretty sure theyād prefer to never speak of it (although if they donāt know, theyāll probably find out when they ask us why we name our as-yet-unborn son what weāre planning to name him - donāt ask, itās a secret till he pops outYes, I understand what you are saying. But having been a Lutheran many years, with many good, holy Lutheran (and other Protestant) friends and family (including my wife), my loved ones and I are intimately experiencing the pain of the wounds in the Body of Christ since I have become a Catholic. The Catechism in 817 - 822 addresses this wound, and how the Church should desire and work to heal it: āThe desire to recover the unity of all Christians is a gift of Christ and a call of the Holy Spirit.ā (CC 820) Interestingly, āconversion of heart as the faithful try to live holier lives according to the Gospelā is mentioned as one requirement in order to respond adequately.