U
Usagi
Guest
I’ve read a fairly good argument (from Protestant sources) that the Beloved Disciple is Lazarus rather than John, though that gets a little weird since Lazarus is also mentioned by name elsewhere in the Gospel (but, unlike Mary Magdalene, never in the same scene as the Beloved).
If I recall the main points correctly, they are as follows:
Usagi
If I recall the main points correctly, they are as follows:
- Lazarus was a disciple, but not an Apostle, of Jesus, and it is explicitly stated (when Jesus weeps at Lazarus’ tomb) that Jesus loved him.
- The Beloved Disciple is said to have connections with the High Priest’s family, which makes more sense for Lazarus (an affluent man from Bethany, near Jerusalem) than for John (a fisherman from distant Galilee).
- The “cover name” is presumed to be the result of people trying to assassinate Lazarus, since he is walking proof of one of Jesus’ greatest miracles.
- It adds an extra bit of explanation of the rumors of the Beloved Disciple’s immortality, mentioned at the end of the Gospel, if the Beloved is a man already known to have died and returned.
Usagi