Why don't Catholics Evangalize?

• Thread starter Thread starter dhgray
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dhgray

I have read recent posting about Catholics complaining that the Mormons, Jehova"s Witnesses, Church of Christ etc. go door to door and evangalize. Why don’t Catholics have the same zeal as these groups?"

These groups go out armed with partial truths and major doctrinal problems, yet they gain converts by the sole fact that they are “out there” doing it.

Are there any Catholic parishes taking The Great Commission (Matthew 28: 19-20) seriously and banging on doors sharing the truth af Jesus and His Church?

Because many Catholics don’t really know their faith…many are just “pew potatoes” and haven’t got a clue…:twocents:

Who says Catholics don’t effectively evangelize? Mel Gibson & Company evangelized me. Thanks in large part to his film, I’m now in RCIA.

And I wonder just how effective the JWs, Mormons and others who go door-to-door really are? Just because you see them out there doing it a lot doesn’t mean they have cornered the market on converts. Are there any good statistics that can verify that door-to-door evangelization is somehow superior to other forms of evangelization such as revivals, Billy Graham-style “crusades,” or a popular movie?

My gut feeling is that door-to-door evangelizers probably turn more people off than convert them.

Jesus said that the world would know the truth of our witness by how we love one another–that is the first way Catholics can evangelize.

Another is to pray–although not seen it is basic and necessary.

We are to be “ready to give an answer for the hope that is within us”. Sometimes that isn’t apparent until a non-Catholic challenges a Catholic’s beliefs. Many a Catholic comes to life when told what they believe is “a tradition of men” or “unbiblical”, etc.

The Great Commission was given to the Apostles first of all. We lay people cooperate in it by the witness of our lives and being open to talking about our faith, but most of us aren’t the sort to go out and grab people by the collar demanding they repent/convert.

And there are Catholic organizations that promote the faith by going door to door. The Legion of Mary was established to do that very thing–visit people of the parish that hadn’t come for a while. Unfortunately, many Catholics lost any interest in it when the Blessed Virgin was seemingly downgraded in importance in Catholic life after Vatican II. She wasn’t set aside by the Council but by those who used Vatican II to do what they always wanted to do–make Mary disappear in our parishes and our devotional lives. Sadly, they succeeded all too well. But, Marian devotion and evangelization are making a big come back, as they had to do, in our parishes due to those who remained faithful and who desire to take our precious faith to others.

So, there are some good things happening in evangelization now even if it doesn’t always include bothering uninterested people on their doorsteps.

The greatest form of evangalization is your living example. I work in an office environment with many outspoken members of different faiths. I have a rosary on my desk and a small statue of Mary and St. Pio which often stimulate conversation. I am working at being well versed in the faith. One person was/is agnostic but after a discussion about salvation as protestants see it vs. Redemption as Catholics see it and he found he shares a common view with us. Now he is left scratching his head. I know he will come with more questions soon and I am reading and preparing for him or another. I don’t have to beat anyone about the head and chest, they come and discuss freely.🙂

When our branch of the Legion of Mary looked for permission from the parish priest to do house to house visitation it was refused because people might think we were JW’s and be disturbed.:confused:

I feel that Catholics do evangelize but only in a more quiet, non-confrontational manner. I was told at a very young age not to talk about your faith because people might see it at prosetytizing. I am more vocal today to challange my own personal faith. I find that I can “minister” and bring some clarity to those that do not see Catholics as Christian. Yes, Mel Gibson should be thanked…he allowed many to know we do believe in Christ. He opened up a dialogue between us and other faiths! Bless Mel and keep him!

I wondered myself. This faith is so rich and beautiful. But I think most people have such incredible misconceptions about being Catholic (you know they worships saints and Mary and other wierd things…) I think exposure to Catholics like Father Keating is VERY inspirational. Our state Contemplative Prayer group has many Catholics and they bring in speakers and do workshops. I think one of the most inspirational people I met was a convert from a Protestant faith. She was even a PK. But as she explained why she converted I realized I was inspired by the same things. I am currently in RCIA as a result of simply getting exposure to Catholics who live their faith.

I do think that “evangalizing” has a bad name as a result of both TV preachers and people like JWs who accost you on the street. I don’t think that pushy attitude works. Something quieter and more heart touchings is effective.

Lisa N

My generation (40-60yrs old) is basically ignorant of their faith. Their children will learn from them. :yawn:

But there is a growing number who recognize this - witness the number of apologists these last 10-15 years. And more and more young seminarians promise to become excellent priests.

Apologetics ceased to be taught in seminaries (a fruit of Vat II??), and we went downhill after that. If seminaries don"t train priests to teach, share, and defend the faith, the priests can’t give proper training to their flocks (homilies, bible studies, adult ed etc). And the parents can’t teach their kids…using the excuse of jobs, outside activities etc, when the real reason is they don’t know…and many don’t care.

Answer… everyone here has had to learn something more of their faith in these posts…so now read, listen to tapes/CDs…study and share. If one person in your parish is willing to moderate an apologetics class support them! Or better yet try it yourself. Learn one topic as well as you can…put it down in writing…insert it into your church bulletin. Start somewhere.

Be the mustard seed. Our souls depend on it.

I have responded to this question on 2 other threads in the last 24 hours. have some fun with the search function and see what you can find before you post, please.

Puzzleannie,

I am sorry, but I had to respond although I know you said there are 2 other posts out there about this same subject. I am guilty of not using the search engine, too.

But I wanted to respond by saying that Catholics do reach out to others with hopes of them entering the church. I will give you the best example that I know of where this played a big part in bringing me to the church. I joined at Easter this year, and it had a lot to do with EWTN (Etnernal Word Television Network). Father Corapi is one of my favorites.

So, I feel that we should support their efforts. But I disagree with the idea that we should be silent about our faith. If we confess our Lord before men, He will confess us before His Father in Heaven. I believe that we should talk about our Catholic faith. So many are silent, because I have found this out being a new convert. And if anything will lead a person away from the church, this is how to make it happen. Because it frustrates me that so many (not all) cradle Catholics are so hesitate to talk about their faith. That is why I had to join this group. My sponsor told me that we are not to question things, even if we know they are wrongs done by the church. I disagree.

I also agree that JW and Mormons going door to door has never done anything to inspire me. I have actually told them many times at my door that I don’t believe what they believe. So I don’t think these groups going door to door is leading more people to their church.

Today, I believe more people are looking for the more traditional aspects of worship from days gone by, and I constantly pray that even the Catholic church will return to a more traditional or conservative type of worship where sheer reverence is again a virtue in the church. But nowhere will a person be able to “truly” receive the Eucharist in any church but the Catholic church. So, I am glad I am hear, even if she does have a few problems.

God bless,
lefthand36
Brenda

We do! Just not enough of us, yet. I’m in the Legion of Mary and we evangelise ‘door-to-door’ a lot, especially in the summer months. As for it’s effectiveness, well success depends on God, but the J.W.'s do have success and they make converts, many of whom are Catholics. Also, the Legion is growing again in the States after years of stagnation. New governing councils have been established in Seattle, San Francisco, and parts of Texas, and that,s just the ones I can remember now. Membership has more than doubled in some areas. You lot should join.

40.png
dhgray:
Are there any Catholic parishes taking The Great Commission (Matthew 28: 19-20) seriously and banging on doors sharing the truth af Jesus and His Church?
Back in about 1977 we had a conference on Evangelizaion in the Catholic Church. I met a man from a parish in Boca Raton, Florida which had an organized program for going door to door. doing just that. There was a group from there which published a magazine called “The Catholic Evangelist.”

In our rite of Baptism we learn that we as Baptized Christians share in Christ’s threefold mission as priest, prophet, and king. As prophets we are called upon to proclaim the Gospel to our brothers and sisters who inhabit this world. I am astonished at the number of good practicing Catholics who don’t know this.

Dear friend

We do, if you simply smile and say ‘Thank you and God Bless you’ to someone , say at a check-out etc, on telephone banking etc you have evangelised. People do not expect it for a start, recently I called a bus travel service because I have to make a journey and the man was very helpful, he could not have been kinder to me, even told me how to save money on my fare. At the end of the call i said, ‘Thank you and God Bless you’ and he said ‘oh that’s kind, are you Christian’ I said, ‘Yes I am Catholic’ we had a brief chat and said good bye. This IS evangelisation. I recently got into a cab and the guy was in a bad mood, he had turned up to 4 jobs and the people had left, he was very rude to me and my food shopping!!:rotfl: , he didn’t seem to want to help me, we chatted a bit and I said you seem upset, he explained how bad his day had been and we chatted a bit more, then I tipped him and said, ‘God bless you’ and his eyes went to the floor, he looked sad and told me about a friend of his in Ireland who was terminally ill with cancer, I told him I would pray for his friend. THIS IS EVANGELISING! I booked a cab recently (Idon’t drive nor do I want to…I;'d be a hazard I’m sure!!) and the driver said, where to? I said to church and he had no practicing faith but said he believed in God, said he’d attended a baptism at the church where I was going to and it had made him think…he asked me alot of querstions and I answered best i could, THIS IS EVANGELISING.

Wearing your crucifix is evangelising, smiling at everyone is evangelising, walking to church and when someone asks you where you are going and you say Mass, is evangelising.

It’s simple, not as hard as you may think (if a fool like me can do it) tell people what you do and why…

The smallest seeds planted grow into big trees!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Teresa what a beautiful post. Your suggestions are so easy and don’t even cost a thing! And you are right even a simple acknowledgement of someone’s situation may well plant a seed. I still remember YEARS ago when I’d attended a funeral and on my way home had to stop for groceries. I must have looked distraught as the checker asked what was wrong. I told her I’d been to a funeral for a wonderful man who’d died too young and it was just devastating for his family. She said she’s pray for the family and for me. I almost cry thinking about that moment even today. A complete stranger offering prayers. It does touch people’s hearts. Thank you

Lisa N

The most effective evangelisation is through our lives being examples. I believe few are convinced by street corner preaching or by being stopped in the street / knocking on doors. We must know our faith if people enquire though, this is generally from people we know in my experience.

There would be no need for sermons, if our lives were shining; there would be no need for words, if we bore witness with our deeds. There would be no pagans, if we were true Christians.
St. John Chrysostom

I went to a diocesan evangelization conference a few years ago, and I didn’t learn a thing except for that: our director of music was no Mozart (rather, he was Barney-esque); and that a lot of lay people high up in the diocese were whining and complaining about how the Church hurt them 30 years ago( over petty school kid stuff); how mean Mother Angelica is; to sell us books written by heterodox theologians; and what exactly Base Communities are/were (God Help Us!). I have also prayed with a group of southern Baptists, invited by a coworker. We prayed for strangers in local bars, apts, and hospitals, I did so in the name of my Church. I was happy to pray w/ them, but by the way many of them worded their prayers, I could tell that I was their “target” for conversion. I had to defend my faith all of the time, and had to listen to ex-seminarians from my diocese “give witness” on how much they hated my Church, which had hurt them very deeply. Eventually I had to leave because I wouldn’ t convert. But, this “cell group” also had two wonderful women in it who eventually became the missionaries in Afghanistan who were rescued. Those two girls always treated me with love and respect. The older missionary is a great admirer of Mother Teresa, and I gave her a book about her while in the cell group.

I evangelize everywhere I go. The Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t come to visit me anymore because I evangelize them. If coworkers have questions about Catholicism, they ask me about it. Even though I could get in trouble for it, I leave Catholic magazines at work. I can’t help myself. I love Jesus and I want everyone to love Him too. I pray for anyone who wishes. Posting here is a form of evangelization. Distributing pamphlets offered here is evangelization. I also asked the “Vote The Rock” website to post a Catholic link for their links page to Christian voter’s guides. I was happy that they accepted the Catholic Answers link. The Knights of the Immaculata put out info ( Catholicity website). A web page can evangelize, or music. Or giving a donation to a missionary order.

I guess what I’m trying to say that the best ways to evangelize are to reach out to others and try to help them whatever way you can, letting them know you love them, all the while affirming your Catholicity. If it is true that Catholic Charities in CA is no longer considered a Catholic organization, by law, I sure wouldn’t give to it because it would seem they wouldn’t be able to evangelize by law. So evangelize by NOT donating. What good is it to give someone the whole world, if you forfeit your soul, and theirs, to do so?

I pray for vocations to the priestly and religious life, and for all of those currently living such vocations; their lives are a form of evangelization, and the declining number of nuns and sisters especially, a horrible lack…

I also think that those with authority in the Church should openly chastise the rich who try to keep the poor from bettering themselves, or the poor who steal, or the utilitarian that believe that if you are can’t contribute to society then you should die, but if you can’t defend yourself then your body parts are up for grabs, or if nobody wants you, or cares to defend you, then you can die. If people support these things publicly, they should be given the chance (privately) to repent, or be publicly excommunicated. How can God forgive what isn’t repented of? Here too, would be evangelization. Often it is cruel to be kind…

More stuff to pray about, I guess.

Thank you for letting me voice my thoughts. If I say anything odd or wrong, I trust someone will let me know, and iron will sharpen iron…God Bless you.

Love,

:angel1: Angelina

There was a period of about 15 years where I could easily have been recruited by a Catholic evangelist. (I won’t say “converted” because I had no religion at all, except of course the great pagan Church of Myself.) JW and Mormons didn’t interest me–maybe it was a case of not wanting to belong to any club that would have me as a member. But I did sense that their sects were new and inauthentic and probably anti-intellectual to boot. But I was living such a rotten, demi-monde type of existence that I felt like hypocrite approaching the Church on my own. Probably I feared the yoke of morality as well. Easy to be moral when you’re old. 😦

Eventually I had to evangelize myself, and that happened only because I had come into contact with a priest at a hospital when my first husband was dying. And even the priest didn’t reach out–I had to ask and he was surprised about my interest. (What gives??) And when I joined RCIA they didn’t want to teach me anything. Thank God for the Internet and Amazon.com!

Personally I would love to go door-to-door. “Interested in being a Catholic” NO. “Okay, God bless you…”

Mormons go door to door and they are one of the fastest growing religious groups in the world. It may work but one thing it will do – teach the young mormon to speak easily about his faith.
I am 56 years old and NOT ONCE has a Catholic (with the exception of Catholic School) approached me to tell me about his faith . It is good to be kind and live your faith but this will only make you new friends not new Catholics. You HAVE to talk about your faith.

I think a good approach would be to simply go door to door and ask people to come to your parish . Then leave behind a flyer explaining what Catholics believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back