Why don't more priests explain subjectivism vs. objectivism in their homilies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ManOnFire
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ManOnFire

Guest
It would bring such clarity to our modern struggles. People seek answers, but many are seeking an answer that fits their expectations, when it is their expectations which are misguided. Why not make it easier to provide a real life answer for people with misguided expectations?
 
It would bring such clarity to our modern struggles. People seek answers, but many are seeking an answer that fits their expectations, when it is their expectations which are misguided. Why not make it easier to provide a real life answer for people with misguided expectations?
I think it is because, sadly, when people don’t hear what they want to hear, they go elsewhere.

Have you ever wondered why preachers like Joel Olsteen are so successful?
 
I think it is because, sadly, when people don’t hear what they want to hear, they go elsewhere.

Have you ever wondered why preachers like Joel Olsteen are so successful?
Yes, but maybe if they made it a little too deep for the average person to understand on the surface, then people would walk out asking themselves “what was he talking about?” Maybe they would then get the message later. As my wife would say, another casualty of birth control.
 
Yes, but maybe if they made it a little too deep for the average person to understand on the surface, then people would walk out asking themselves “what was he talking about?” Maybe they would then get the message later. As my wife would say, another casualty of birth control.
I have a twenty year old daughter. My wife and I have found that telling her what she should and should not do can become counter-productive.

Instead, we “plant the seeds” with her and watch them grow. She’s got a good head on her shoulders and usually comes up with the same conclusion “on her own” as we wanted her to do in the first place.

Perhaps that is similar to what you are talking about?
 
It would bring such clarity to our modern struggles. People seek answers, but many are seeking an answer that fits their expectations, when it is their expectations which are misguided. Why not make it easier to provide a real life answer for people with misguided expectations?
In practice, hashing out difficult or complicated ideas in sermons leads to more confusion. It’s just not worth it. Some things are better left for philosophy class not mass.
 
In practice, hashing out difficult or complicated ideas in sermons leads to more confusion. It’s just not worth it. Some things are better left for philosophy class not mass.
Are we talking about “complicated ideas” or simply things like, “Hey, sex out of wedlock is bad… abortion is bad…” things that are not said at the pulpit anymore.
 
Are we talking about “complicated ideas” or simply things like, “Hey, sex out of wedlock is bad… abortion is bad…” things that are not said at the pulpit anymore.
I’m talking about a critique of subjectivism as a philosophical problem that takes into account the phenomenon of shared reality and the paradoxes that arise from various approaches to objectivism. That sort of thing should never be attempted outside a university philosophy course. Otherwise on the drive home your wife is going to turn to you and say something like, “Did father actually say that all knowledge comes through the senses? What about a priori schemas?” If you want to save your marriage, you would have to reply, “Honey, I married you because you are beautiful and a Kantian.”
 
I’m talking about a critique of subjectivism as a philosophical problem that takes into account the phenomenon of shared reality and the paradoxes that arise from various approaches to objectivism. That sort of thing should never be attempted outside a university philosophy course. Otherwise on the drive home your wife is going to turn to you and say something like, “Did father actually say that all knowledge comes through the senses? What about a priori schemas?” If you want to save your marriage, you would have to reply, “Honey, I married you because you are beautiful and a Kantian.”
Well, I wasn’t talking about going that deep. Not everyone took college philosophy. I’m talking about the subjective examples pervading modern society, like “If it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad,” individualism as it leads to selfishness and distance from the opposite sex, blaze your own trail (which codes for create your own truth). Happiness is determined how I feel therefore give me frequent lust, drugs and sex to feel good. Then, once the temporary feelings wear off, the person is left enslaved to the desire for more. It’s no wonder many of them choose to invent artificially hyped activism to feel like their existence on the planet matters. They seem to want to almost “manufacture” love. I can’t tell if the progressive message intends to lead people in that direction to get control of them, or is it a more reactionary appeal to the basest instincts?

Versus objective truth, which can lead us to God: “there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Love of the Lord and laying down our lives for spouse and kids, others first, me last (the opposite of pop culture’s messages), etc.
 
Well, I wasn’t talking about going that deep. Not everyone took college philosophy. I’m talking about the subjective examples pervading modern society, like “If it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad,” individualism as it leads to selfishness and distance from the opposite sex, blaze your own trail (which codes for create your own truth). Happiness is determined how I feel therefore give me frequent lust, drugs and sex to feel good. Then, once the temporary feelings wear off, the person is left enslaved to the desire for more. It’s no wonder many of them choose to invent artificially hyped activism to feel like their existence on the planet matters. They seem to want to almost “manufacture” love. I can’t tell if the progressive message intends to lead people in that direction to get control of them, or is it a more reactionary appeal to the basest instincts?

Versus objective truth, which can lead us to God: “there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Love of the Lord and laying down our lives for spouse and kids, others first, me last (the opposite of pop culture’s messages), etc.
Exactly. Fr. Larry Richard often says that the song “I did it my way” is the theme song for almost everybody in hell. Its the American message.

Suffering and “offering it up” is not often preached at Mass, but I have noticed a subtle change in recent times. I go to masses in 5 or 6 different places in our diocese and have seen this shift “back to the basics” coming out. Its good to see!
 
because most of the faithful would start browsing the bulletin or nod off if the priest started using words and concepts like that?

because such a discussion would not be germane to the readings of the day?
 
because most of the faithful would start browsing the bulletin or nod off if the priest started using words and concepts like that?

because such a discussion would not be germane to the readings of the day?
I think it can be tied into the story of the prodigal son.

Colleges and the liberal entertainment media are promoting moral relativity. What’s the harm in giving parishioners some advance warning of what temptations our kids will be facing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top