Why don't we pray the "Confiteor" at Mass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lampo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe that your GRIM applies to the Mass of All Time.
The GIRM applies to the Missal it was issued for, theoretically the Pope could issue a GIRM for the EF (note: all Masses are for all time), actually as it is celebrated more widely I think one will be needed to clarify the myriad of issues like the 2nd (or 3rd, depending on how you count) confiteor and dialogue Masses that have been relegated largely to custom.
 
the official document is the GIRM, which governs the sacramentary for Mass. The form for Mass is in your missal or missalette. you seem to have an issue about this would you care to state it? this is not the forum btw for discussing the EF or pre-1962 Latin Mass rite.
I don’t have an issue with it. It just dawned on me a while back that we didn’t say the Confiteor anymore and I didn’t know why. I wish we still did. I like it.
 
A question regarding the OP title came up last week at a presentation given by the parochial vicar at my parish, He said it is to his discretion whether to use the Confiteor or Kyrie. Most of the time he uses the Confiteor.
 
the official document is the GIRM, which governs the sacramentary for Mass. The form for Mass is in your missal or missalette. you seem to have an issue about this would you care to state it? this is not the forum btw for discussing the EF or pre-1962 Latin Mass rite.
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa. I always thought this forum was for the discussion of the Liturgy and Sacraments of the Catholic Faith including the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

In the Roman Daily Missal 1962, the Confiteor [public confession] is included in Preparatory Prayers at the Foot of the Altar. No local options are listed.
*"The Confiteor creates an interior silence from the beginning of the Mass, as Priest and faithful turn away from their temporal concerns to face the reality of Calvary, for which their sins are responsible. It is the first expression of humility which will accompany us through the Sacrifice of the Mass.

Our sins offended God alone and our personal responsibility is before Him alone. By invoking all the saints, beginning with the Blessed Virgin Mary, we guarantee the value of our humiliation before God, calling to witness all of the sanctified that we are guilty and responsible before God."*
You seem to have an issue about this. Would you care to state it?
 
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa. I always thought this forum was for the discussion of the Liturgy and Sacraments of the Catholic Faith including the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

In the Roman Daily Missal 1962, the Confiteor [public confession] is included in Preparatory Prayers at the Foot of the Altar. No local options are listed.
*
"The Confiteor creates an interior silence from the beginning of the Mass, as Priest and faithful turn away from their temporal concerns to face the reality of Calvary, for which their sins are responsible. It is the first expression of humility which will accompany us through the Sacrifice of the Mass.

You seem to have an issue about this. Would you care to state it?*

Silly man. Didn’t you know that prayers at the foot of the altar were deemed unworthy of the, ahem, ordinary form mass?
​
​
 
The new English translation of the Mass (probably Advent of 2011) will have that new translation of the Confiteor.
And what are the odds they won’t be changing any more of the text between now and Advent 2011? 😉
 
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa. I always thought this forum was for the discussion of the Liturgy and Sacraments of the Catholic Faith including the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
(underline mine)

Look, I agree with the idea that the Liturgy and Sacraments forum should not be segregated, but when posters come in and make references the implicitly deny the validity or licity (I know I made it up) of the OF they only reinforce any decision to keep the EF in a ghetto.

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for All Ages is the Mass. EF, OF, Latin, vernacular, doesn’t matter objectively. Please, restrain yourselves out of love for the Church and the Mass, for you only do harm by insulting others.
 
In my experience … in the parishes I attend …

Most daily Masses throughout the entire year [actually I can’t recall a daily mass that did not 🤷 but I am sure there are probably exceptions] uses the Confiteor …

And All of the Sundays of Lent use the Confiteor - also during LENT this us eof the Comfiteor includes kneeling facing the Cross while the Confiteor is recited - including our priest [and I believe that this is at the direction of the Bishop as an extra penance - due to the priest abuse scandals situation …]

During the balance of the year - the most common form is either option B or C …

Which seems very well balanced to me - 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top