And what kind of excuse is that, really? Of course we know that Santa is merely a fairy tale for children. So is Peter Pan and a lot of other fictional characters I once wanted to believe were real. The essence of Santa is faith and hope and belief in more than oneself–in generousity and kindness, etc. Only someone with a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Everest could ever really make such a ridiculous claim. So, they didn’t get the pony they wanted for Christmas so Santa doesn’t exist and God doesn’t exist? Really? Pretty lame reasoning and babyish, too.
I wouldn’t dismiss their claims so easily. There very well may be truth in an atheist saying that when their belief in Santa was taken away from them, that it also shook their belief in God.
Many of the attributes that are attributed to Santa, are also attributes that belong to God.
Omniscience for example:
- It is said to children that Santa: Knows when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake, he knows when you’ve been bad or good.
This is a myth. As if Santa is watching over them
Compare the above statement to God’s omniscience:
2)God knows when we’re sleeping, he knows when we’re awake, he knows when we’ve been bad or good.
This is a theological truth.
It’s a truth that I’m teaching my child already…
When he say’s “Mommy I’m afraid of the dark.” I say, “Let’s say a prayer to Jesus, he loves and watches you even as you are sleeping.”
Again, both of the above 2 statements are the same…the first one is a myth, the second one is a truth.
I think that depending on how fiercely a parent pushes the Santa myth, that they can possibly damage their belief in God. I’ve known parents who had their children so fiercely believe in Santa that they even placed reindeer turds in their backyard. I’ve also known parents who have told their children that as long as they believe in Santa that they’ll still receive a good “Santa” present. But, if they don’t believe then, no present.
But, there will come a time in that child’s life that intellectually, they will come to the clear understanding that the omniscient Santa, who has the Super power to be present all over the world on a single night is a myth…for some of these children this knowledge may shake their faith in God…because they have also been taught, that God is omniscient and present all over the world.
I think it is a matter of how a parent introduces Santa in their home…If they have made it clear with their child from the beginning that Santa is a “game” and include the child on the myth, such as peter pan and sleeping beauty, then there is no damage in that.
But, if a parent fiercely pushes the belief in Santa to obtain absolute belief in the man, and attributes powers to Santa that is attributed to God. Then yes, I think that this could introduce doubts to the child’s spiritual beliefs when the time comes for the child to stop believing in Santa. If they were so strongly taught by their parents to believe in Santa, who has all of these powers, and he is a myth…then how can God also not be a myth?