Why go to church ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jaybones
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaybones

Guest
I need help getting through to my family . They say that they believe in GOD but they don’t go to church or anything . What strategy {scriptural} can I use to show them that there is more to it than just saying "I believe " ?
 
I am curious to read what responses you get because any of my Christian friends that I have are not church attenders. They believe church has become far too corrupted to attend…

Of course they aren’t Catholic. 🙂
 
I need help getting through to my family . They say that they believe in GOD but they don’t go to church or anything . What strategy {scriptural} can I use to show them that there is more to it than just saying "I believe " ?
“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” John 6:53.
 
Thanks so much for the replies !! They are Great responses !! Please keep them coming and if you have any extra comments to help me along with my evangelizing I would appreciate it . I don’t really even know where to begin with them . They can be tough (my family) . They get angry just if I mention the name JESUS .
Thanks Again and God Bless
 
Thanks so much for the replies !! They are Great responses !! Please keep them coming and if you have any extra comments to help me along with my evangelizing I would appreciate it . I don’t really even know where to begin with them . They can be tough (my family) . They get angry just if I mention the name JESUS .
Thanks Again and God Bless
Catholics go to Church because Mass is heaven on earth!

At the Last Supper Jesus told his disciples to “Do this in memory of me”, and he explained further what it was all about in John 6…so we partake of his Risen Body in the Eucharist at Mass! At our church, with the rest of the community we do this.

I suppose that some Protestants, if they believe in “Once saved always saved”, may not feel the same hunger and need of the Lord’s grace in the Eucharist.
 
When I was a Baptist I run into the same situation myself because I am not a person who likes to mingle with people, and I felt much closer to God in my own house compared to putting on the happy face for church on Wednesdays and Sundays. And the reason is is because my view of worship in church was based upon the preaching, music, and going through the motions. I felt so much closer to God when I was reading and meditating on the Bible and praying when I was at home. Going to church only led to me not fitting into church clicks and feeling like I was among the world even in the pews.

But thankfully I found true purpose in the Catholic Church, which is Mass and with the Sacraments. In Mass I get to partake of something that I could never get anywhere else, especially in my own home, and that is the Sacraments!
 
When I was a Baptist I run into the same situation myself because I am not a person who likes to mingle with people, and I felt much closer to God in my own house compared to putting on the happy face for church on Wednesdays and Sundays. And the reason is is because my view of worship in church was based upon the preaching, music, and going through the motions. I felt so much closer to God when I was reading and meditating on the Bible and praying when I was at home. Going to church only led to me not fitting into church clicks and feeling like I was among the world even in the pews.

But thankfully I found true purpose in the Catholic Church, which is Mass and with the Sacraments. In Mass I get to partake of something that I could never get anywhere else, especially in my own home, and that is the Sacraments!
Thanks for sharing that!
 
I would just like to thank all who have replied !! You all had some really GREAT (name removed by moderator)ut . I am new to catholicism and already I have a lot of people around me day by day trying to press my buttons !! I am in the trenches trying to spread the word with love !!
Thanks everyone !!
 
Here are some ideas…

Go to church because it is advantageous to obey our Christian leaders:
Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you. (Hebrews 14:17)
Go to church for the mutual Christian encouragement:
and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
Go to church because there are special promises associated with communal Christian prayer:
Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:18-19)
Go to church to hear the Sacred Scriptures publicly read and to receive public instruction from those ordained to preach and teach the Christian faith, pastors and teachers, who are God’s gift to his Church that we might avoid being “tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles” (Ephesians 4:11-14):
:
Command and teach these things. Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Till I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophetic utterance when the council of elders laid their hands upon you. Practice these duties, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress. Take heed to yourself and to your teaching; hold to that, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. (1 Timothy 4:11-16)
Go to church to participate in the body and blood of Christ that you might abide in him and he in you:
The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? (1 Corinthians 10:16)

He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. (John 6:56)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top