Why have a Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter garysibio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Misunderstandings occur when terms are unclear. I am surely not educated enough to present clear terms, true propositions, and valid arguments - for all of which I understand. Not that we attempted in that, but it would of helped.

Not so that it goes in vain, let me add the psalm-prayer from the Morning prayer series in the Church’s Liturgy. “Nourish your people, Lord, for we hunger for your word. Rescue us from the death of sin and fill us with your mercy, that we may share your presence and the joys of all the saints.”

It appears to fit well with what I have said, of the interrelationship of the Magisterium, Scripture, and Tradition.

As you say the divine dictation, would be his loving Nourishment expressed in the prayer I cited. And I would say they become the role of Christ, and through Christ, they share his mercy in the sacraments and all in the concern of the predestination of the Saints.
 
Misunderstandings occur when terms are unclear. I am surely not educated enough to present clear terms, true propositions, and valid arguments - for all of which I understand. Not that we attempted in that, but it would of helped.

Not so that it goes in vain, let me added the psalm-prayer from the Morning prayer series in the Church’s Liturgy. “Nourish your people, Lord, for we hunger for your word. Rescue us from the death of sin and fill us with your mercy, that we may share your presence and the joys of all the saints.”

It appears to fit well with what I have said, of the interrelationship of the Magisterium, Scripture, and Tradition.

As you say the divine dictation, would be his loving Nourishment expressed in the prayer I cited. And I would say they become the role of Christ, and through Christ, they share his mercy in the sacraments and all in the concern of the predestination of the Saints.
By no means was I attempting to call you uneducated! You have my deepest apologies if you felt I was being uncharitable in any way.
 
By no means was I attempting to call you uneducated! You have my deepest apologies if you felt I was being uncharitable in any way.
Oh you did no wrong, I am trying to do God’s will by following the path of self-accusation taught by the abbot St. Dorotheus, who of which the Church honors in the Office of Readings on Monday and Tuesday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time.
 
The Bible is one half of the Deposit of Faith (Sacred Tradition being the other half). After all, the Church IS the pillar and ground of TRUTH (1 Tim 3:15).

We need a Bible because it is an infallible source of priceless Christian teaching. Our Church (and breakaway Protestant communities) uses/use this gift from God daily for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work (2 Tim 16-17).

The Holy Bible is a teacher, a history, and a guide. There is no other book in human history that is as important as the Bible. The Bible is a Spiritual Heirloom given to us by our spiritual fathers, and the reading and study of this magnificent book should be a priority for every Catholic Christian.

You ask why have a Bible? I ask you “why NOT???”
 
The Bible is one half of the Deposit of Faith (Sacred Tradition being the other half). After all, the Church IS the pillar and ground of TRUTH (1 Tim 3:15).

We need a Bible because it is an infallible source of priceless Christian teaching. Our Church (and breakaway Protestant communities) uses/use this gift from God daily for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work (2 Tim 16-17).

The Holy Bible is a teacher, a history, and a guide. There is no other book in human history that is as important as the Bible. The Bible is a Spiritual Heirloom given to us by our spiritual fathers, and the reading and study of this magnificent book should be a priority for every Catholic Christian.

You ask why have a Bible? I ask you “why NOT???”
The Bible is all that. The Bible is teacher, history, guide. It is for “teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness.” It is all that.

But the Bible was given to us by God for one reason - so that we might be saved. Every word and ever punctuation mark, every breath breathed by Christ, is there so that we might be saved.

The answer to the question “Why have a Bible?” is because God loves us and wants us to be saved.

-Tim-
 
The Bible is all that. The Bible is teacher, history, guide. It is for “teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness.” It is all that.

But the Bible was given to us by God for one reason - so that we might be saved. Every word and ever punctuation mark, every breath breathed by Christ, is there so that we might be saved.

The answer to the question “Why have a Bible?” is because God loves us and wants us to be saved.

-Tim-
The name of Jesus means “God saves”, indeed it is in his name, He is the author.
 
The answer to the question “Why have a Bible?” is because God loves us and wants us to be saved.

-Tim-
Absolutely.

That is the whole reason for all of this. The salvation of souls. It’s what God wants, what Jesus wants, and what the Holy Spirit wants.
 
Is the NT more important to us in this day and age rather than the OT? Or are they needed to be read in harmony?
 
Is the NT more important to us in this day and age rather than the OT? Or are they needed to be read in harmony?
The OT is the context for the NT. Much of what Jesus says is an extension of the OT. He quotes it often. To understand the NT correctly we need an understanding of the OT. They are inseparable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top