C
Corki
Guest
Stay away from the ARCC site. It is not an authentic representation of Church teaching.After 8 years of marriage, my wife committed an adultery, got pregnant and told me our marriage is over and there is NO chance of reconciliation. I did not give up easily. I fought for a year to convince her for recon but to no avail so I am filing for a divorce then annulment. I did my research about annulment and discovered adultery cannot be used as a reason to annul my first marriage. I was sadden about this because I want to remarry again in the House of God. Then I stumbled on this sife arcc-catholic-rights.net/internal_forum.htm and this Catholic forum. I read many of the discussion about IFS and I fully support it despite some people disagree about it.
Why I support it?
I think a lot of Catholics who left the church because they were turned away due to remarriage did not know about this IFS.
- Adultery cannot be used for a successful annulment
- Process is not long compare to up to 18 months for annulment. Imagine waiting that long and at the end, it is rejected.
- The hassle of facing the tribunal and its intrusive investigation.
In fact the same article you linked admits that the position of the ARCC board (who wrote the statement) is different than official Church policy. ARCC wants policy to change but wishing does not make it so.
That doesn’t mean that the Internal Forum is not authentic but only that you need to look to the real teachers of the Church (the Bishops) and not dissident organizations if you want to get real information.
Post #2 in this thread links to a statement by the Pennsylvania Bishops which is a good description of the Internal forum - what it is and what it is not.
This is an article from the diocese of Lexington. The interpretation is a bit different than that of the PA bishops. tribunal.cdlex.org/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=93578&From=Home
There is an old(er) thread on this same topic that has some quotes from the tribunal office of the diocese of Bilings. The link to the original article seems to be dead but there are many sections quoted in the CAF thread here. forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=52913
While the applications are slightly different in each diocese, the core reality is the same. The Internal Forum is a non legal (not illegal) process that can be used when the Tribunal won’t or can’t work. It is applied to situations where the couple and the priests believe the original marriage was not valid. If the reason the original marriage ended was other than one that would indicate invalidity, the Internal Forum won’t work either. At least one of the dioceses requires, in fact, that the Tribunal process be pursued first before the IF can even be considered.
The “classic” example of a valid use of the IF is an older couple where all the witnesses of the previous marriage are dead. The lack of documentation is what makes the IF an option, not a difference in grounds. The priest and the individuals involved must be convinced that, if documentation or witnesses WERE available, the original marriage would be found to be invalid by the tribunal. So if adultury is not sufficient grounds for a tribunal decree of nullity, it isn’t sufficient grounds for the IF either.
I am very sorry to hear about the end of your marriage and commend your efforts to defend it. I am sure that your parish annulment advocate and the diocisan tribunal office will give you a lot of help.