Why is Freemasonry bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HeartOfMercy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tis_Bearself
Do you know whether the stone was retrieved?
The stone was broken up before being thrown in the river. People were scavenging for pieces of it on the shore. Most of it was supposedly recovered but then mysteriously disappeared/ lost again, although some people claim to have pieces of it and one lady lent one to the Smithsonian for some exhibit.

More recently a priest got a new stone sent from Rome and installed.

Here’s some articles on it.



I note that it says the Know-Nothing Party, an anti-Catholic political party, was suspected of doing the dirty deed, but the Know-Nothings, who were themselves a secret society, were associated with freemasonry as shown by the writings of the 19th century philosopher Orestes Brownson.
 
Last edited:
People usually get killed in a revolution, and since most of the people in France were Catholic, it’s not surprising that some Catholics got killed in the French Revolution. Many of those who were killed belonged to the nobility, however, and the commoners were probably better off because of it.
 
Woah,Woah,Woah I don’t think we should start justifying death during the French Revolution. While yes the nobility treated the commoners terribly that doesn’t justify the mass killing that happened.
 
I also find it interesting that pope pius took the marble from the temple of concord in Rome this must mean he knew his American history or it was just a coincedence
 
I don’t think Pope Pius IX was thinking of Concord, Massachusetts if that’s what you mean. I am reasonably certain he had a decent grasp of US history given that the US was only about 100 years old when all this was going on, so there wasn’t much for him to learn.

The Temple of Concord was also called the Temple of Peace. He meant it as a peaceful goodwill gesture.
 
Last edited:
These people had clear intentionscon bringing down the church not just the nobility
And this
By the end of the decade, approximately thirty thousand priests had been forced to leave France, and several hundred who did not leave were executed.[26]Most French parishes were left without the services of a priest and deprived of the sacraments. Any non-juring priest faced the guillotine or deportation to French Guiana.[1] By Easter 1794, few of France’s forty thousand churches remained open; many had been closed, sold, destroyed, or converted to other uses.[1]

They also made the week 10 days just to screw with the church
 
Oh you know just some casual slaying and butchering being justified here in the forums.
 
Yeah, they hunted down priests and killed them.

St. John Vianney was a child then, and his parents would hide the priests who were trying to escape. That’s how he was inspired to be a priest.
He was eventually allowed to be a priest only because so many priests had been killed off or chased out of the country, France was desperate for priests. He was so bad at his seminary studies he almost didn’t get ordained but for the shortage.
 
Woah,Woah,Woah I don’t think we should start justifying death during the French Revolution. While yes the nobility treated the commoners terribly that doesn’t justify the mass killing that happened.
I don’t think that the mass executions and the terror were a good thing, but no one should be surprised when people rise up and commit attrocities against their oppressors after being mistreated for centuries. And the French were no doubt better for having broken the grip of the nobility on power.
 
Last edited:
I did I saw his heart a couple months back for the second time( the first time I saw it I was like 4 or 5) I picked up a book on him there it was very nice
 
I saw his heart twice and also saw a couple years back the one-man play about him done by St. Luke Productions. I’ve been praying to him ever since I saw the play.

It was nice that so many people in USA came out to see his heart.
 
Last edited:
No Napleon came then the monaracy came back then Napoleon the 2nd then a bunch of provincial government then the vichy then socialism yellow vest protest ok I guess if that’s your idea of better at least the government was stable
 
So, why was there so much hostility towards the Church? Surely, there must have been a reason. It could hardly have been because it had been a champion of the poor and oppressed in France for hundreds of years and had stood up against the monarchy and the nobility.
 
Last edited:
There was hostility towards the Church partly because some of the clerics behaved badly, but also because it was part of the establishment that maintained the social order, and the Church certainly wasn’t going to condone a revolution. Also, the thinking men who led the revolution saw the Church as a threat the same way every power-seeking leader sees the Church as a threat.

Therefore, even the priests and sisters who were saintly and spent their lives trying to do nothing but good had to suffer.

I note that France seems to have been rather sorry for its sins after all this was over…not only did lots of priests, religious orders, saints, visionaries etc emerge but the whole country went Jansenist and spent the next 100 years or so punishing themselves all day.
 
Last edited:
Several American Presidents were freemasons.
George Washington
James Monroe
Andrew Jackson
James Polk
James Buchanan
Andrew Johnson
James Garfield
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
Howard Taft
Warren Harding
Franklin Roosevelt
Harry Truman
Gerald Ford
 
Freemasonry in the USA has never been as contentious as freemasonry in Continental Europe. In USA it is seen as more of a social club.

However, the Vatican still prohibits us Catholics from joining.
 
I don’t think that the mass executions and the terror were a good thing, but no one should be surprised when people rise up and commit attrocities against their oppressors after being mistreated for centuries.
I doubt the Carmelite nuns they beheaded oppressed anyone.

 
I lived in France for several years when I was growing up and I still have some friends from there that I’ve known since I was about 12. Their family which is of commoner origin has owned a farm since the 19th century that is on land that used to belong to an abbey and was seized by the National Assembly during the French Revolution and then sold to the public. Some of the buildings on the farm such as the barn were originally part of the abbey and date back to 12th century. The Catholic Church was the largest landowner in France before the Revolution, and a lot of commoners like the family of these friends of mine benefited from the Revolution because of all the Church land that was seized and sold.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top