Why is God a Trinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatima-Crusader
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are body and soul, plus spirit if you want to nuance things. Why is that? Can’t you be just one cohesive whole? Or would that not represent the completeness of you as a person?
 
Not exactly the best analogy, as you probably already know, because body, spirit (mind?), and soul can be divided even though they are interconnected, whereas Gd cannot be divided into parts. Further, the oneness of Gd, according to Judaism, is a oneness beyond human conception of oneness: it is a unique quality not to be compared to human unity.
 
Of course the counterargument is that a five-person god cannot be deduced from revelation. But I get your point.

BTW, there was a group who believed in a binatarian god, only Gd the Father and Gd the Son. I wonder what happened to them or if they still exist? And then there are the Jesus-only Pentecostals.
 
Last edited:
No because i have no way of knowing that God is infinite Knowledge and infinite Love and that there were even more than one Person in the Godhead or that a divine Person became incarnate or that God was even Personal unless he revealed it. These things are not known from reason, only by divine revelation.
 
This is answered in the Catechism.

God the Father, 1st Person of the Trinity, always was both God and Father. He didn’t become the Father after He begot the Son, because the Son also always existed from eternity, as did the Holy Spirit. All 3 Persons of the Trinity have always existed in eternity, none came into existence before/after the other.

Their titles regard to Their relation to each other, not one being first to exist or last, or greater/lesser than the other, since the Catholic faith professes equality within the Trinity.
 
Last edited:
Jehovah Witnesses believe that the supreme being is only God the Father. Jesus is a created lesser god. And the Holy Spirit is only an impersonal force. Not quite a binary god but close perhaps.
 
What I’ve stated is the Catholic Church’s simple answer to OPs question, as this is a Catholic forum. So I don’t want to detail too much with debate. But I would agrue the God you described is not love. That God feels love and does loving things, but is not in essence love.

In the Trinity the Father and the Son love one another. And that Love IS the Holy Spirit.
 
I agree that the Gd I describe is not love in that He is more than love alone. His essence is love and truth and justice and omniscience and omnipotence and life itself. Of course I respect your viewpoint based on what the Church teaches even though I somewhat disagree with it. Or perhaps we are saying almost the same thing in different ways.
 
The Roman Catholic Thomists would state that the psychological defense of the Trinity given above your post merely demonstrate that the doctrine is not contradictory, not necessarily because it can be proven to be logically necessary.
 
Ah, but each of those qualities and all of them are contained within the scope of love. David revealed much of this in calling G-d his “Father” but the New Testament fleshes it out fully.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top