K
Keverlast
Guest
i know Jesus called himself that but why? Is it because Mary was related to King David ? my only guess…
Because his mother is a huMAN being. I’ve never been one to feel not included when we, as women, sometimes use the word man in prayer, for example, in the Creed, we pray “…For us men and for our salvation, He came down from heaven…” Man in these situations refers to human or mankind which includes everyone, male and female.i know Jesus called himself that but why? Is it because Mary was related to King David ? my only guess…
Man is human kind.Mary was a human.therefore He’s the Son of Man.i know Jesus called himself that but why? Is it because Mary was related to King David ? my only guess…
To extend that:if you read/watch "the case for Christ’ it explaines it pretty well
but here something i like to say “The son of God became the son of man so that we might be saved”
Yes, in the singular sense.Man in the singular sense? Mary is Jesus’ only blood line.
This describes Jesus’ kingship and about the authority given to him to triumph over evil. The Father would vindicate him, raise him up, seat him on a royal throne, and decree the destruction of his enemies.When Jesus is refers to Himself as the Son of Man, it is a reference to Daniel 7:13-14:
As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him,
14 He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.
Jesus’ use of the title “Son of Man” is enigmatic. He does not tell us why he uses this title, and neither does anyone else in the New Testament. Moreover, the crowds who hear him use this title do not react in any way that gives us a clue (each and every time people seem to just take it in stride). In light of all this, there may be different yet plausible answers as to what Jesus meant by this term.i know Jesus called himself that but why? Is it because Mary was related to King David ? my only guess…
Except for this explaination and reaction:Jesus’ use of the title “Son of Man” is enigmatic. He does not tell us why he uses this title, and neither does anyone else in the New Testament. Moreover, the crowds who hear him use this title do not react in any way that gives us a clue (each and every time people seem to just take it in stride).
The question is, exactly what was the high priest reacting to? All of Jesus’ statement, or part of it? I don’t think one can say with absolute certainty, but I think it is worth noting that the Pharisees and priests were aware that Jesus called himself “the Son of Man” throughout his earthly ministry but did not accuse him of blasphemy in the past. In light of this, it seems that the high priest’s reaction in Mt 26 is attributed to Jesus’ response to the question of whether or not he was the Son of God: “You say that I am.” Mark’s rendition (Mark 14:62) has Jesus simply saying, “I am.” To the Jewish mindset, claiming to be the Son of God was likewise claiming to be the equal of God. For example, consider what we read in John:Except for this explaination and reaction:
Then the high priest said to him, “I order you to tell us under oath before the living God whether you are the Messiah, the Son of God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “You have said so. But I tell you: From now on you will see ‘the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power’ and ‘coming on the clouds of heaven.’” Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! What further need have we of witnesses? You have now heard the blasphemy; what is your opinion?” They said in reply, “He deserves to die!” Then they spat in his face and struck him, while some slapped him, saying, “Prophesy for us, Messiah: who is it that struck you?” (Mt 26:63-68)
Peace![]()
My guess is he reacts to all of Jesus’ statement. The mystery behind Jesus’ use of “Son of Man” was being revealed by him for some time.The question is, exactly what was the high priest reacting to? All of Jesus’ statement, or part of it?
The scribes did.I don’t think one can say with absolute certainty, but I think it is worth noting that the Pharisees and priests were aware that Jesus called himself “the Son of Man” throughout his earthly ministry but did not accuse him of blasphemy in the past.
In light of this, it seems that the high priest’s reaction in Mt 26 is attributed to Jesus’ response to the question of whether or not he was the Son of God: “You say that I am.” Mark’s rendition (Mark 14:62) has Jesus simply saying, “I am.” To the Jewish mindset, claiming to be the Son of God was likewise claiming to be the equal of God. For example, consider what we read in John:
But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working still, and I am working."
This was why the Jews sought all the more to kill him,
because he not only broke the sabbath but also called God his Father,
making himself equal with God. (John 5:17-18, RSV)
Jesus makes the same divine claim about the Son of Man in (Mk 2:5-10) that leads to his death.Therefore, I think the reaction of the high priest was more towards the term “Son of God” rather than “Son of Man.”
Obvious I don’t disagree about the divine claim. But the title “Son of God” for the king of Israel is not unlike the Son of Man who is divinely given an everlasting kingdom and all people serve him. You may be right but I think there is more to it.But to be fair, it is also worth noting that in Matthew 26 Jesus cuts out the ambiguity of what he means by the title, “the Son of Man.” In the past one could infer that he was simply speaking about a human being in general (such as was done by the psalmist in Psalm 8:4). But when interrogated by the high priest, Jesus refers to himself as the Son of Man “coming on the clouds of heaven” which is a clear reference to the specific human described in Daniel 7:13-14. But whether or not claiming to be the mysterious human Daniel saw in his vision warrants a charge of blasphemy, I cannot say. It certainly can in Matthew 26 for the simple fact that this claim does not stand on its own, but is coupled with the claim of being the Son of God. So, once again, I attribute the high priest’s reaction mostly to Jesus identifying himself as the Son of God.
The scribes accused him of blasphemy because he told people their sins were forgiven (and therefore acted in the role of God), not because he called himself the Son of Man. Jesus, of course, connects these two aspects but I am simply analyzing the mindset of what the crowd heard and understood. After all, you and I are discussing what can be gleaned by the reactions of the people who heard Jesus call himself “the Son of Man” in an attempt to discern what Jesus meant by it. When exploring what Jesus meant by it, there are two perspectives: that of Jesus and that of the various listeners. I have already given my thoughts concerning what was probably Jesus’ perspective (i.e., that he identified himself with the mysterious human Daniel saw in a vision). But my point is that we don’t get very far in examining the perspective of the various listeners because they never seem to react to the term “Son of Man” (in and of itself) one way or another. I don’t see how your examples of Jesus being called a blasphemer are exceptions. Here’s why…The scribes did…
Yes, but in and of itself, the term “son of man” did not warrant the charge of blasphemy. It is only when Jesus elaborated upon the term, ascribing divine power to it, that results in certain people calling him a blasphemer. Had Jesus simply called himself “the Son of Man” in this passage without claiming the authority to forgive sins (nor telling the paralytic that his sins were forgiven), we can expect that the scribes would have had no reaction to it (as we see in the other occasions I mentioned above concerning the Pharisees and crowds in general).Jesus makes the same divine claim about the Son of Man in (Mk 2:5-10) that leads to his death.
I also think there is more to it. A biblical argument can be made for calling the King of Israel the “son of God” (without a divine connotation) but the Pharisees and priests purposely overlooked this in order to go with an interpretation of the title which would allow them to convict Jesus as a blasphemer. And, of course, from the perspective of Christian typology, we see that David and Solomon were biblical “types” of Christ, so the term “Son of God” has both a human meaning and a divine one.Obvious I don’t disagree about the divine claim. But the title “Son of God” for the king of Israel is not unlike the Son of Man who is divinely given an everlasting kingdom and all people serve him. You may be right but I think there is more to it.
My guess is he reacts to all of Jesus’ statement. The mystery behind Jesus’ use of “Son of Man” was being revealed by him for some time.
I disagree, and here is why.The question is, exactly what was the high priest reacting to? All of Jesus’ statement, or part of it? I don’t think one can say with absolute certainty, but I think it is worth noting that the Pharisees and priests were aware that Jesus called himself “the Son of Man” throughout his earthly ministry but did not accuse him of blasphemy in the past. In light of this, it seems that the high priest’s reaction in Mt 26 is attributed to Jesus’ response to the question of whether or not he was the Son of God: “You say that I am.” Mark’s rendition (Mark 14:62) has Jesus simply saying, “I am.” To the Jewish mindset, claiming to be the Son of God was likewise claiming to be the equal of God.
Therefore, I think the reaction of the high priest was more towards the term “Son of God” rather than “Son of Man.”
Having read your entire post, I am unclear exactly what you are disagreeing with. I said that during the trial of Jesus the high priest’s accusation was more of a reaction to Jesus claiming to be the Son of God rather than the Son of man. You quoted me stating this and then you said, “I disagree.” But then you proceeded to explain why Jesus used the title of “Son of man” to connect himself to Daniel 7. But this does not contradict anything I’ve said in this thread. Keep in mind that I stated that because Jesus (during his trial) used the term “Son of man” along with “coming on the clouds”, he was making a direct reference to Daniel 7. So this is why I say I am not sure what you are disagreeing with. Are you suggesting that a person who claims to be the “Son of man” referenced in Daniel 7 can be denounced for blasphemy? Please clarify.I disagree, and here is why.
Yes, the Jews in the time of Jesus were living in an era of high expectation for the coming of the Messiah. Nevertheless, based on the OT there was still a range of perfectly plausible interpretations as to what the term “son of man” is meant to convey. “Son of man” in Hebrew meant “Son of Adam” and in each case in the OT it meant “human being.” There were different nuances, however, such as:Everyone around Jesus would have been knowledgeable about the book of Daniel. Those who heard him refer to himself as the “Son of Man” knew exactly where that reference came from and what he was saying. The Pharisees no less so.
I agree. He was the one whom Daniel had a vision of and this is ultimately what he wanted people to understand.The fact that Jesus chose “Son of Man” from Chapter 7 of Daniel is no accident.
It would call to mind Daniel 7 to his listeners, but would not rule out the possibility of other interpretations based on the nuances I outlined above. There was an element of ambiguity that presented Jesus’ “Son of man” identity as something to be pondered, motivating people to examine his teachings and actions in greater detail to see if he was, indeed, the Messiah. But, as I said before, this ambiguity is no longer present at Jesus’ trial because he refers to the “Son of man coming on the clouds” which is a clear reference to Daniel 7.His reference to “Son of Man” would have been clear to the Jews present, and would have brought to their memory all the lessons they learned about the Book of Daniel including the Son of Man recieving kingship, and most importantly, the end of the 490 year exile and arrival of the messiah.
There was still the possibility of interpreting “Son of man” within the range of nuances I described (at least prior to his trial).No, I think the Pharisees understood exactly what Jesus was saying, as did most everyone present.
To be fair, Timothy, exactly where did I say otherwise? You seem to misunderstand the whole gist of my material in this thread. In terms of a scriptural examination of what Jesus means by a certain statement, we can look at a number of things:Lack of a description about reaction in the Bible does not mean that it was not present.
The first son of man was Cain. Then Abel too was a son of man Their humanity is a product of humanity as a whole. There doesn’t exist a missing part somewhere else.Gen. Ch. 1
[27] And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
A son in the image of the original human. The original man’s humanity is generated.Gen. Ch. 5
[1] This is the book of the generation of Adam. In the day that God created man, he made him to the likeness of God. [2] He created them male and female; and blessed them: and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. [3] And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and begot a son to his own image and likeness, and called his name Seth.