M
mdgspencer
Guest
This is something I have sometimes wondered about. People often praise his “Summa Theologica,” but I do not recall anyone speaking about his holiness, so I am left in the dark about why he is considered a saint.
My dear friendThis is something I have sometimes wondered about. People often praise his “Summa Theologica,” but I do not recall anyone speaking about his holiness, so I am left in the dark about why he is considered a saint.
wow… I didn’t know that.There are other aspects of St Thomas’ life that merit the title of ‘Saint’.
For example, he grew up in a wealthy family which, while they always wanted Thomas to enter religious life, had a cushy post lined up for him in a local monastery (if I remember correctly). Instead, he defied them and chose the more difficult life of a Dominican. Someone even went so far as to send a prostitute into his room to try to get him to give up his vocation - of course he ran away in horror.
Then he went about his work in such a humble and holy way. Always, whatever he wrote, he would leave overnight before Our Lord’s crucifix in a church - clearly it was all done for His glory and without any idea of worldly fame or pride in his learning. Once Our Lord appeared to Thomas and asked him what he wanted most in the whole world. He could’ve asked for fame, or for the wisdom of Solomon for that matter. All he said was ‘just yourself, dear Lord’.
And at the end? After all his writing and teaching, he said ‘all that I have written is straw’. Not a trace of pride in him.