Why is the Church so rich?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrooklynBoy200
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the Friendly Neighborhood Methodist take a shot at answering this question?
šŸ˜‰ Thank you; here goes: It’s paid for.
Every so often, someone asks me, a single lady with a cat, why I ā€œneedā€ a 4 bedroom house. The answer is: It’s paid for. It’s the old family homestead, long ago paid for by those who went before me. I’m not rich–I live on social security–and this place is paid for. Just taxes & utilities to pay. Works out great…

I think of the Vatican like this. Nobody in Rome, or around the world, has to meet a mortgage payment, or cough up a rent check every month.
I’m sure, knowing what I do of:) thriftiness in those of Middle European lineage, that Pope Benedict doesn’t insist on keeping every single room in the whole of Vatican City at 70 dgrees Fahrenheit, 365 days a year. That saves on fuel…

It was very interesting to hear that most of the pope’s vestments are gifts. I wonder, don’t popes also use things that have been used by previous popes? I bet they do…
So, here he is, in a home that is paid for, it doubles as his office, he wears clothes people gave him, & clothes that were passed down to him.
Sounds pretty sensible to me…I mean, they aren’t giving that ;)cave away, & the ā€œsimple clothingā€ would have to be paid for, too…Even 😃 Goodwill & Sally Ann charge something for their merchnadise.
So, I kinda think that going on as usual & using what is all ready provided makes a lot of good sense.
What do you think???
Makes purrrrrrfect sense to me!!

Love and peace, Mom of 5
 
Fr. Serpa had an excellent explanation of this issue some time back. In essence, he said the treasures of the Vatican belong not to the pope or the hierarchy, but to the Church as a whole, which all humanity is invited to be a part of. And since they are free to view, everyone, poor and rich alike, can enjoy them.

LT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top