Why is the warning in Revelation applied to the whole Bible? (Revelation 22:18-19)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Angelic_Rose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Angelic_Rose

Guest
I’ve been wondering about this and I’ve heard plenty of Christians use the particular warning in the book of Revelation to relate to the WHOLE Bible.
I warn everyone who hears the prophetic words in this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words in this prophetic book, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city described in this book.
I’m wondering if the Catholic Church teaches that this warning is included on to all of the books of the Bible or just the book of Revelation.

I would assume it would be just for the book of Revelation because all of the books of the Bible were written individually before being put together in one book. (background info)

I’m hoping someone can shed some insight into this for me. 🙂
 
Angelic Rose:
I’m wondering if the Catholic Church teaches that this warning is included on to all of the books of the Bible or just the book of Revelation.
If this was the only place with this type of warning, it could apply just to the book of Revelation. However, Proverbs 30:5-6 says, “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you, and you be found a liar.” (RSV). I would assert this applies to all of Scripture since it begins “Every word of God…” (certainly the OT and NT books that had not been written yet are still God-breathed).

Just curious, are you wanting to justify adding something to Scripture, but not to the book of Revelation?
 
Proverbs 30:5-6 says, “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you, and you be found a liar.” (RSV).

Just curious, are you wanting to justify adding something to Scripture, but not to the book of Revelation?
Nope, I just wanted to know why some pastors I’ve listened to use the warning in Revelation to mean the whole Bible. I truly believe all of His Word is inspired, though I don’t personally use the verse in Revelation to prove it.
 
Angelic Rose:
Nope, I just wanted to know why some pastors I’ve listened to use the warning in Revelation to mean the whole Bible. I truly believe all of His Word is inspired, though I don’t personally use the verse in Revelation to prove it.
Of course I can’t speak for everyone, but the few times I’ve heard it used, I had the distinct feeling that it was being used because the book of Revelation is a lot more “exciting” (for lack of a better term) than the book of Proverbs. Furthermore, since Revelations deals with the “last days” and Christ’s return, that has been tied into the warning as well (at least by most of the pastors that I’ve heard). I’m not sure what the official RC Church position is, but that’s my 2 cents worth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top