Why isn't everyone given the gift?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gracelife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gracelife

Guest
If God give us the gift of faith through grace, why doesn’t he choose to give this gift to everyone?

He wants all to be saved, no?
 
What makes you think that He hasn’t given it to everyone?
Maybe some just haven’t opened the package yet.
 
It’s sort of like this:

Suppose I’m having a party & I invite everyone in my neighborhood - EVERYONE is invited and all can come - but I know which neighbors like parties & which never even say hello so I’m going to plan on 20 people showing up.

Same with God - he knows everything in advance… so although He’d like everyone to be saved (which is why He sent His Son to die) - He knows who will accept His gift of salvation & who isn’t interested. I think He gives the faith to those who’d want it.

That’s my very simple understanding.
 
Hi Gracelife, the spiritual gift of faith is not the same as saving faith. In Eph 2:8 we are told that God gives every christian the faith neccessary for salvaion for lack of a better label, I call this “saving faith”. But, the spiritual gift known as the “Gift of Faith” is the ability to discern God’s will and work miracles.
The Apostles had the Gift of Faith, and went around working miracles in Jesus authority, name.

I cor 12

4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to **another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then** workers of miracles**, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.

Ephesians 2:8 (New International Version)
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—**
 
In protestant circles there is the story of George Muller of England, who ran an orphanage on pure faith. When there was a need, he would pray and God provided the needs of the orphans. wholesomewords.org/biography/biorpmueller.html

Elijah of the OT, would pray and God would keep it from raining or make it rain ( James 5 ) inaccordance with Elijah’s prayers. He had the Gift of Faith.

You may be able to think of Catholic Sanits who had this gift.
 
Some call the saving faith as being grace of faith, while the spiritual gift is called the gift of faith.
 
I’m thinking more along the lines of Ephesians 2:8 with regard to salvation.

What does the Catholic church officially teach on this with regard to why some don’t have that ‘saving faith’?
 
If God give us the gift of faith through grace, why doesn’t he choose to give this gift to everyone?

He wants all to be saved, no?
I think that he does choose to give it to all, but only a few are opened to recieve. If you choose to walk through life with blinders on then you will miss the call from God .One of my husbands favorite sayings is that when my boat comes in I’ll be at the airport.I think that is the same thing with God . If you seek him you will find him , faith and grace. God bless as all:)
 
I’m thinking more along the lines of Ephesians 2:8 with regard to salvation.

What does the Catholic church officially teach on this with regard to why some don’t have that ‘saving faith’?
Jesus spoke of some of the reasons in the parable of the seeds that fell by the wayside.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top