J
JamieMc
Guest
Well, I figured if I was going to throw something out there I might as well make it a whopper!
During the middle ages puffin was declared a fish so that people could eat it during lent.It is my understanding that the capybura, the world largest rodent, was declared to be a fish for religiuos purposes. Meaning the natives in South America were free to eat them on Fridays, seeing as they are semi-aquatic and all.
Try only TWO days for we poor Latins (Ash Wednesday and Good Friday) - the other Fridays of Lent (and the other Fridays of the year) are abstinence only rather than fasting.LilyM is quite correct.
The Latin church does not actually prescribe fasting normally any more, but in the late antiquity it did. These days it is mostly just abstenance from certain types of foods without much concern for the amount of intake. Not much of an ascetic excercise.
I think these days there are only three or four days of actual fasting in all of Lent and Holy Week combined? I’m not sure about the details. In the distant past true fasting was every day duing Lent except Sundays, which were days of abstenance only.
![]()
It is my understanding that the capybura, the world largest rodent, was declared to be a fish for religiuos purposes. Meaning the natives in South America were free to eat them on Fridays, seeing as they are semi-aquatic and all.
Holy MackeralI can see the connection based on your general discription of the critter, but that still has be going :bigyikes: I wonder what else has fallen in & out of accepted list over the years
I think it’d be fun to know. But like I aluded to before … I love food history.
Thanks for the point of info. It was fun :tiphat:
Try googling “barnacle goose”…In the Middle Ages, this bird was believed to grow on trees, & to live in the water after it (hatched??) fell from said trees.During the middle ages puffin was declared a fish so that people could eat it during lent.
Catholig
yep, languages that come from the Latin have this distinction., for ex. Portuguese or Spanish “carne” also for meat and you would say “carne de____” specifiying the animal it comes from, ex. “Carne de vaca” beef, or meat of cow.It’s a quirk of English usage… to us “meat” tends to imply the muscle & soild tissue of any animal.
Other languages have more words to describe the flesh of different kinds of animals, which are somewhat exclusive of each other. Words from other languages that get translated as the English “meat” may refer specifically to the flesh of warm-blooded land animals like cows & pigs & sheep (what we might call “red meat”), or to the cows & pigs & sheep plus birds. I believe the latter is what is referred to by the Latin text describing the rules for abstinence.
As kind of an analogy, have you ever heard anyone say they’re a “vegetarian”, and then need further clarification as to whether or not they (a) eat no animal-derived products, (b) will eat eggs (c) will eat dairy, (d) will eat dairy and eggs, (e) will eat dairy, eggs, and fish, (f) will eat everything except “red meat”. This, I think, goes along with the broad range of meanings which the word “meat” can have in English.
(Leaving aside the dubious claim of streams and rivers teeming with edible fare)Don’t forget that the streams and rivers used to run with a lot more edible fish, mussels, crayfish, frogs, etc. than they do today. Also, spring is the time when fish run upstream to spawn. This sort of thing really did impact the average European peasant.
Can anyone point me to this thread? I’ve looked but so far been unsuccessful to find it. Thanks.there is a rather recent thread on the topic of fasting which gives quotes from church sources on the topic and indeed, it was preached that the rich needed the disciplines of fast and abstinence more, because their spiritual need was so much greater, since the poor already were fasting by virtue of their condition, and hence, closer to becoming poor in spirit in the gospel sense.
Does anybody have any citations on this?Back where I grew up (in Michigan) there was occasional discussion of whether or not muskrat (being a semi-aquatic rodent) was acceptable for Lent or not…
I assume the same would go for capybaras.The article linked above doesn’t provide what I’d like in the ideal–a quotation from a legal document issued by one or more dioceses in Michigan. It doesn’t do that because–apparently–there isn’t such a document. That’s okay (legally), though, because canon law recognizes the possibility of custom attaining the force of law, and it seems to me that in this case that’s the current basis for the Michigan muskrat exception. In other words, unless someone produces a legal document that we don’t currently know about, it looks like the faithful in some areas of Michigan are allowed to eat muskrat on days of abstinence, according to legitimate local custom.
It is my understanding that the capybura, the world largest rodent, was declared to be a fish for religiuos purposes. Meaning the natives in South America were free to eat them on Fridays, seeing as they are semi-aquatic and all.
That vegetarian haggis sounds so good. There are no suppliers in the USAVegetarian haggis & caviar would be really yummy. Especially if preceded by a salmon or sardine entreé.