Why Join a Third Order?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon_Tony560
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deacon_Tony560

While reading these boards, we find many members of Third Orders. To those who belong to a Third Order, what do you get out of it? To those who are interested in joining, What are you looking for?

Some years ago, I was discerning a spirituality. I found what I had been searching for in the Secular Franciscan Order (Old Third Order of St. Francis.)

I know we have some old boards on this, but would like to hear more experiences.

God bless…Deacon Tony

Deacon Tony560:
While reading these boards, we find many members of Third Orders. To those who belong to a Third Order, what do you get out of it? To those who are interested in joining, What are you looking for?

Some years ago, I was discerning a spirituality. I found what I had been searching for in the Secular Franciscan Order (Old Third Order of St. Francis.)

I know we have some old boards on this, but would like to hear more experiences.

God bless…Deacon Tony
Hello Deacon Tony, I joined so I could pray with Faithful people in a group and do works of charity. I also find that the people who are secular franciscans in my fraternity are very orthodox and they strengthen me when I get beat up by progressives.

Peace.

Michael C:
Hello Deacon Tony, I joined so I could pray with Faithful people in a group and do works of charity. I also find that the people who are secular franciscans in my fraternity are very orthodox and they strengthen me when I get beat up by progressives.

Peace.
What caused you to pick the Franciscans over the Dominicans, Carmelites, Oblates Etc?

Deacon Tony

thanks for starting this thread. I hope those interested and those that are members post here.

Peace,

Jen

I have not joined a thrid order yet, but have been thinking about it since this summer, when only then did I learn about the concept. There are none in my immediate vincinity.

What attracts me is the fomralized structure for prayer and spiritual development. I also like the idea of companionship, meaning that the opportunity to find support in developing a spiritual life and resisitng temptations posed by modern society while a participant of the secular world.

My problem is that the more I read about different spiritualities, the more I feel attracted by them - almost equally. I like the Franciscan approach to combatting materiliasm and promoting peace. I like the Carmelite focus on contemplation. I like the ideas of using learning to promote God’s kingdom on the earth, as articulated by Benedictine and Dominican communities. Each seems to address such important apsects, and no communities are less than an hour from where I live, which makes discernment very challenging for me.

40.png
serendipity:
I have not joined a thrid order yet, but have been thinking about it since this summer, when only then did I learn about the concept. There are none in my immediate vincinity.

What attracts me is the fomralized structure for prayer and spiritual development. I also like the idea of companionship, meaning that the opportunity to find support in developing a spiritual life and resisitng temptations posed by modern society while a participant of the secular world.

My problem is that the more I read about different spiritualities, the more I feel attracted by them - almost equally. I like the Franciscan approach to combatting materiliasm and promoting peace. I like the Carmelite focus on contemplation. I like the ideas of using learning to promote God’s kingdom on the earth, as articulated by Benedictine and Dominican communities. Each seems to address such important apsects, and no communities are less than an hour from where I live, which makes discernment very challenging for me.
What a very insightful analysis. Maybe there are some folks on this board that could share why they are in an Order or the Order that attracts them most.

Dear Deacon Tony

I answered my call to the Third Order Carmelite because of LOVE, it was where the Lord led me to love Him and my brothers and sisters as deeply as possible, to minister by prayer and works.

Many years ago I had the calling to the religious life and for a complex set of reasons which I won’t bore you all with I did not enter the religious life. However instead of this call fading away as the years went by, it grew and grew stronger. Because I am a mother now and this too is my vocation, I cannot enter religious life while my child is so young. I discussed with my Priest who suggested the third orders.

To be honest it frightened me,…why can I just not be satisfied with being Catholic without seeking third orders? I’m not a great person, I am sinner who is so undeserving, why would God ask this of me? Anyway I resolved not to be frightened and make that leap of faith and say yes to God.

I started looking at all the orders and their Saints. I has always been deeply drawn to St Francis and his way for many years, but as I researched Carmel I found I was already Carmel in my heart and soul and had been all of my life. Carmel is what my personality and heart was before I even knew about the Carmel way and instantly I knew this is where I should be. I prayed and prayed even though i did know it was right for me and all my prayer confirmed and led me further to Carmel.

So I telephoned the Sisters and told them all about myself in more detail than I have said here of course and arranged to meet with them.

Recently I asked the Sister in charge of my formation ‘You never questioned me Sister, you have never told me if you think i am right for Carmel and the community…am I?’ She just laughed at me and she said she knew straight away I was and if i hadn’t have been she would have said straight away.

My ideas were not God’s ideas for me and He is very persistant, He led me to Carmel and I pray that He sustains me there.

God leads us to where we are meant to serve Him and each of us in different third orders, the laity who are not in a third order and those in the Religious life are like different sections of a choir, we sing as one to the Lord with our lives but we all do it in different charisms…

I have finally found where I am supposed to be and great joy and peace in this though there are crosses and struggles , the joy remains in the Lord.

I still keep the charisms of the Franciscan order close to my heart, but Carmel is my spiritual home.

I would say to anyone don’t be frightened and make that leap of faith and God will help you to leap.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I am thinking about joining a 3rd order (lay Carmelites to be exact). They have a month long window in Sepetember where those seeking membership can apply. Though I still am discerning a calling to consecrated religous life as a nun, there are some very serious issues in my life that may get in the way.

Among them are financial situations as well as some of my past sinful mistakes of life that may make me unacceptable material for the sisterhood (I’ll just say it, a past same sex relationship). Also, it could be possible that God wants me to remain in the secular world doing his will here.

Either way, I ask for your prayers in my discernment.

40.png
ThornGenX:
I am thinking about joining a 3rd order (lay Carmelites to be exact). They have a month long window in Sepetember where those seeking membership can apply. Though I still am discerning a calling to consecrated religous life as a nun, there are some very serious issues in my life that may get in the way.

Among them are financial situations as well as some of my past sinful mistakes of life that may make me unacceptable material for the sisterhood (I’ll just say it, a past same sex relationship). Also, it could be possible that God wants me to remain in the secular world doing his will here.

Dear friend

I will keep you in myprayers before the Blessed Sacrament.

Remember that your past is just that, past, recall all of the great saints who’s past was not virtuous and very far from it, St Paul (murderer) St Ignatius (womaniser and drinker), St Francis (repulsed by illness and poverty) etc etc there are many more.

Maybe your parish would be willing to make a collection for you in order to help you with your debts? Either way, with your will joined to God’s will there is always a way to resolve everything, nothing is impossible to God.

Don’t let anything stand in your way and I pray you make that leap of faith.

In my prayers

Teresa

Deacon Tony560:
What caused you to pick the Franciscans over the Dominicans, Carmelites, Oblates Etc?
Hello Deacon Tony, I find St. Francis to be one of the most inspiring people to ever live. I think his messege of the poor man following the poor Christ is exactly what is needed today.

Why did you pick the Franciscans?

I naturally gravitate toward the Franciscan order because it emulates so much of my own personal values and, on self-reflection, my behaviour as I have lived my life over the past thirty years.

I have been naturally attracted to the great outdoors and spent a great deal of time backpacking up in Maine and New Hampshire as a kid. I have an affinity for animals. I have an affinity for the simple life and I have never been materialistic and own few things.

I believe in being out where the action is, and I think I can help a homeless person more by giving them a cigerette or money in their can than by an impersonal donation to a large charity. So if I were a Franciscan Friar you would find me under a bridge at night during a rainstorm giving out sandwiches or smokes to the indigent, or walking through the neighborhoods talking to the kids (the way the Brothers used to do in the 60s in my neighborhood.)

The Augustinians emphasize teaching and scientific study, stay in monestaries, and do some missionary work.

The Benedictines are also monastic, have hermits and silent orders, study theology & philosophy, and emphasize missionary work.

The Dominicans are the Friars Preachers, they study for preaching and the salvation of souls.

While the studious life in a monestary if very attractive to me, I like the Franciscan ideal of being ‘out in the world’ doing physical good for the poor.

At my age (near 48) I’m too old to apply to be a Friar, so the Secular Franciscan Order is a good alternative.

Michael C:
Hello Deacon Tony, I find St. Francis to be one of the most inspiring people to ever live. I think his messege of the poor man following the poor Christ is exactly what is needed today.

Why did you pick the Franciscans?
Mike, years ago my wife and I were involved involved in many church ministeries. We just happened to read a Catholic Digest article about the Franciscans and we called up our local diocese to find out where they were. We were looking for a spirituality to be the glue that binds ministeries. We joined together, however, my wife was never professed due to illness. There is a joke about the Franciscan Lay Order being one of the best kept secrets of the church.

Kevin Walker:
I naturally gravitate toward the Franciscan order because it emulates so much of my own personal values and, on self-reflection, my behaviour as I have lived my life over the past thirty years.

I have been naturally attracted to the great outdoors and spent a great deal of time backpacking up in Maine and New Hampshire as a kid. I have an affinity for animals. I have an affinity for the simple life and I have never been materialistic and own few things.

I believe in being out where the action is, and I think I can help a homeless person more by giving them a cigerette or money in their can than by an impersonal donation to a large charity. So if I were a Franciscan Friar you would find me under a bridge at night during a rainstorm giving out sandwiches or smokes to the indigent, or walking through the neighborhoods talking to the kids (the way the Brothers used to do in the 60s in my neighborhood.)

The Augustinians emphasize teaching and scientific study, stay in monestaries, and do some missionary work.

The Benedictines are also monastic, have hermits and silent orders, study theology & philosophy, and emphasize missionary work.

The Dominicans are the Friars Preachers, they study for preaching and the salvation of souls.

While the studious life in a monestary if very attractive to me, I like the Franciscan ideal of being ‘out in the world’ doing physical good for the poor.

At my age (near 48) I’m too old to apply to be a Friar, so the Secular Franciscan Order is a good alternative.
Good information. I always get my homework done by others, when I visit these forums.

Deacon Tony

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Deacon Tony

I answered my call to the Third Order Carmelite because of LOVE, it was where the Lord led me to love Him and my brothers and sisters as deeply as possible, to minister by prayer and works.

Many years ago I had the calling to the religious life and for a complex set of reasons which I won’t bore you all with I did not enter the religious life. However instead of this call fading away as the years went by, it grew and grew stronger. Because I am a mother now and this too is my vocation, I cannot enter religious life while my child is so young. I discussed with my Priest who suggested the third orders.

To be honest it frightened me,…why can I just not be satisfied with being Catholic without seeking third orders? I’m not a great person, I am sinner who is so undeserving, why would God ask this of me? Anyway I resolved not to be frightened and make that leap of faith and say yes to God.

I started looking at all the orders and their Saints. I has always been deeply drawn to St Francis and his way for many years, but as I researched Carmel I found I was already Carmel in my heart and soul and had been all of my life. Carmel is what my personality and heart was before I even knew about the Carmel way and instantly I knew this is where I should be. I prayed and prayed even though i did know it was right for me and all my prayer confirmed and led me further to Carmel.

So I telephoned the Sisters and told them all about myself in more detail than I have said here of course and arranged to meet with them.

Recently I asked the Sister in charge of my formation ‘You never questioned me Sister, you have never told me if you think i am right for Carmel and the community…am I?’ She just laughed at me and she said she knew straight away I was and if i hadn’t have been she would have said straight away.

My ideas were not God’s ideas for me and He is very persistant, He led me to Carmel and I pray that He sustains me there.

God leads us to where we are meant to serve Him and each of us in different third orders, the laity who are not in a third order and those in the Religious life are like different sections of a choir, we sing as one to the Lord with our lives but we all do it in different charisms…

I have finally found where I am supposed to be and great joy and peace in this though there are crosses and struggles , the joy remains in the Lord.

I still keep the charisms of the Franciscan order close to my heart, but Carmel is my spiritual home.

I would say to anyone don’t be frightened and make that leap of faith and God will help you to leap.

Teresa
We had a prospective member like you that longed for the Carmelite type of contemplative prayer. She left to follow that calling.

Deacon Tony

40.png
ThornGenX:

May God bless you for wanting to serve him any way that you can. Remember, the Orders that I am talking about are secular. You work in the world and join others for prayer and instruction. There is little or no expense and you might be able to ride with someone to eliminate the expense for gas.Through the Sacrament of Penance, God casts our sins behind his back. As long as you are a practicing Catholic of good standing now, you are elegible for any secular order.

Deacon Tony

I joined the Benedictine Oblates. I have always been attracted to monasteries and monasticism. It is a way for me to integrate it into my life in the world. I encourage people to investigate the third orders and consider if it is for them. Oblates are not members of a third order though. All Benedictines follow the same Rule. At oblation you “offer” yourself to God to live according to the Rule of Benedict. You are then joined to the monastery where you made your oblation. Lectio Divina and the Liturgy of the Hours are strongly encouraged. If there is a monastery near you make a retreat and see how it goes. The oblates have been booming recently, so ora et labora.

40.png
cestusdei:
I joined the Benedictine Oblates. I have always been attracted to monasteries and monasticism. It is a way for me to integrate it into my life in the world. I encourage people to investigate the third orders and consider if it is for them. Oblates are not members of a third order though. All Benedictines follow the same Rule. At oblation you “offer” yourself to God to live according to the Rule of Benedict. You are then joined to the monastery where you made your oblation. Lectio Divina and the Liturgy of the Hours are strongly encouraged. If there is a monastery near you make a retreat and see how it goes. The oblates have been booming recently, so ora et labora.
There are two retreats taking place at Benedictine monastaries. One Benedictine retreat on the East Coast and one out in Northern Alabama.

I like the Franciscan Order very much, yet I am extremely curious about the Benedictine monastaries. As an Oblate what is it that you do at the monastary when not praying? Thanks!

40.png
cestusdei:
I’m very curious about the Benedictine Oblates. My first retreat was at a Benedictine house nearby and I’ve been on retreat at another house many times, but the subject of Oblates has never come up. Can you fill us in a little?

40.png
cestusdei:
Thank you for the information. I think some would like to hear a little more about it. How long does the formation process usually take? Are the retreats silent?

It all sort of depends on the Abbey you join. Some are more active then others. Mine offers a monthly retreat for oblates. Usually there is Mass, the Office, and a talk. Some people stay over night. Also you can visit the monastery virtually any time and join in the liturgy with the monks. Often they give you a copy of the liturgy of the hours to say at home. And daily lectio divina, prayerful reading of scripture, is a major part of Benedictine spirituality. We also get a monthly newsletter. The oblates have been growing fast. Many people are seeking to live a monastic spirituality in the world.

To join you first become an oblate novice and are given the Rule. After at least a year you may petition to make your final oblation. So normally you can become an oblate faster then in other third orders. It is flexible though. The deacon might be interested to know we had some in prison who became oblates. They already lived in cells and apart from the world lol. But it was good for them to develop a sense of discipline and a plan of life. In the old days you could be buried in the habit, but I don’t think they do that any more. The emblem you wear is the medal of St. Benedict. For lots of info on oblates visit:

osb.org/obl/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back