Why Join a Third Order?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon_Tony560
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the Oblates. I think that it would be a great help to the inmates that I serve. There are many people that post here who might be interested in this type of spirituality. If just one person who reads about the Oblates finds what they have been looking for, then you have done a great service.

Deacon Tony

We have found that it is best to focus on the inmates who have already proven their interest and committment to Catholicism. They can make good oblates. I would require attendence at meetings and other evidence during their novitiate. It can turn incarceration into something more positive.

There are many books out now about Benedictine spirituality. Dwight Longnecker is an oblate. Even many Protestant clergy have become oblates. We have over 20 of them in my monastery. We had one Lutheran pastors son become an oblate at age 15. Most third orders are not open to non-Catholics, but Rome ruled that they can become oblates. A little quirk, but who knows how many of them will end up Catholic.

One of the books for Franciscan Spirituality is called, “Catch me a Rainbow.” Can you think of one off hand that the Oblates use?

Deacon Tony

Most read The Benedictine Handbook or a variation of it. I will have to check and see what other titles. There are a slew of them.

What is the difference between the Oblate spirituality and the Carmelite spirituality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back