Why marry? Why have kids?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bubba_Switzler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bubba_Switzler

Guest
Let me preface this by saying: I’m happily married with children. One reason that I’m thinking about this question is that, sooner or later, I’m going to be having this discussion with my own children.

So it occurs to me that I don’t know how to explain why one should get married and have children. I certainly can’t say that I thought through either decision with the seriousness they deserve.

And maybe there is no good explanation: either people feel the call to marry and have kids or they don’t.

I suspect that these decisions rest, at least in part, on whether you had a good family experience with your parents. Most people I hear arguing against marriage and children come from broken homes. Most people I know with big families come from big, stable families.

But the more I think about it the more strange it seems that I can’t explain why this is a good life choice.

A related question is this: when ought people get married? The modern tendency is to wait longer, at least until out of college but often until after some financial stability has been achieved. In many cases this strategy results in lonliness as college is probably the best opportunity to browse a large number of prospective mates whereas office romance is fraught with difficulties.

I know that the Church has lately relaxed its emphasis on marriage and family, accepting the single life as a legitimate vocation. (And, of course, people have always been urged to consider religious vocations.) But what does the modern Church teach about marriage as a vocational choice?

Can anyone suggest any good books on the subject?
 
One reason that I’m thinking about this question is that, sooner or later, I’m going to be having this discussion with my own children.

So it occurs to me that I don’t know how to explain why one should get married and have children. I certainly can’t say that I thought through either decision with the seriousness they deserve.

But the more I think about it the more strange it seems that I can’t explain why this is a good life choice.
Your quote about a “good life choice” is challenging to address: How do you determine what is a good life choice? Are your values tied to material benefits? Opportunities to deepen your relationship with Our Lord?, Helping others grow closer to Christ? How you answer this question may help you to determine the way that you think about the value of marriage and of raising children.
I think the place to start precedes literature. your children will have a sense of why to get married and the value of having kids by watching the way you and your wife live out your marriage and through the experience of being loved by the two of you. May Our Lord support you as you live out your vocation to the married life and to parenting. Amen.
 
First of all, what is a Zen Catholic? Do you sit around contemplating Jesus’ belly-button?🙂 God’s first action involving man was to create a woman from his rib because it was not good for man to be alone. Then His first commandment to man was to be fruitful and multiply. Strong families are the basis for any society, by God’s design. If we look at the great civilizations of Greece and Rome we see they were weakened and fell when hedonism became widespread. It didn’t happen overnight, but eventually as the family structure fell apart so did the empires. A good spouse makes life infinitely better. Hard times are more bearable, two heads are better than one when solving problems, good times are better because of shared joys. And kids, well ask your kids if they enjoy being alive. If they do then don’t you think life is a gift you’d like to give someone else? Besides, someone’s gotta pay for Social Security for all us geezers. 😃
 
Marriage is very useful in helping people grow up, turn from selfishness to care for others. I think a woman feels this strongly, however I’m sure it’s true for men also. I can remember being very concerned about what I needed when I was single, but once I had children those concerns were out the window: it became about what they needed.
Also being married helps rub our rough spots out, as they say, since living with another person will invariably strain our charity. We have to learn how to communicate, how to argue/discuss issues fairly, how to compromise, at times how to put another’s welfare before our own, how to maintain boundaries. It’s all useful in helping us grow to be the people God intends us to be.
I got a lot of benefit of reading Jane Austen – her heroines are good role models! Another excellent book I just gave my highschool aged daughter is “How to find your Soulmate without Losing your Soul” by Jason and Crystallina Evert.
As for when to marry, it does seem as if getting engaged toward the end of college would be ideal. Ideally you would spend your first few years making friends, which is essential to a good marriage, and then begin dating seriously in the last year or two.
 
You might also have to answer the why become a religious? question. Generally though, we must do what God wants from us in order for us to be sanctified.
 
Let me preface this by saying: I’m happily married with children. One reason that I’m thinking about this question is that, sooner or later, I’m going to be having this discussion with my own children.

So it occurs to me that I don’t know how to explain why one should get married and have children. I certainly can’t say that I thought through either decision with the seriousness they deserve.

And maybe there is no good explanation: either people feel the call to marry and have kids or they don’t.

I suspect that these decisions rest, at least in part, on whether you had a good family experience with your parents. Most people I hear arguing against marriage and children come from broken homes. Most people I know with big families come from big, stable families.

But the more I think about it the more strange it seems that I can’t explain why this is a good life choice.

A related question is this: when ought people get married? The modern tendency is to wait longer, at least until out of college but often until after some financial stability has been achieved. In many cases this strategy results in lonliness as college is probably the best opportunity to browse a large number of prospective mates whereas office romance is fraught with difficulties.

I know that the Church has lately relaxed its emphasis on marriage and family, accepting the single life as a legitimate vocation. (And, of course, people have always been urged to consider religious vocations.) But what does the modern Church teach about marriage as a vocational choice?

Can anyone suggest any good books on the subject?
The Catholic Church teaches that each person can choose their state of life. There is no compulsion to marry or receive holy orders. In the Gospel we read that marriage will complicate life and is not the preferred state, which is understandable considering the number of martyrs and maimed Christians. St. Paul thought that for those with great sexual desire, marriage could be a safeguard. Of course children are often the natural result of the exercise of the marital gift of the proper and just conjugal act. And this also provides mankind with the help of Catholic children. In Genesis, garden of Eden, we see a higher state of life that Adam and Eve had, yet they fell. Man and women help each other in life with their companionship, yet this is not a heavenly state, for in heaven there is no marriage. It is not necessary to marry, but it is also not required to consummate a marriage, if there is mutually no request for the conjugal act.
 
The Catholic Church teaches that each person can choose their state of life. There is no compulsion to marry or receive holy orders. In the Gospel we read that marriage will complicate life and is not the preferred state, which is understandable considering the number of martyrs and maimed Christians. St. Paul thought that for those with great sexual desire, marriage could be a safeguard. Of course children are often the natural result of the exercise of the marital gift of the proper and just conjugal act. And this also provides mankind with the help of Catholic children. In Genesis, garden of Eden, we see a higher state of life that Adam and Eve had, yet they fell. Man and women help each other in life with their companionship, yet this is not a heavenly state, for in heaven there is no marriage. It is not necessary to marry, but it is also not required to consummate a marriage, if there is mutually no request for the conjugal act.
The Council of Trent also had some statement on this topic, like for example:
Council of Trent, pg. 225: “If anyone saith that the marriage state is to be preferred before the state of virginity, let him be anathema.”

Not that marriage is bad:
Catechism of the Catholic Church, p.1620: “Whoever denigrates marriage also diminishes the glory of virginity. Whoever praises it [marriage] makes virginity more admirable and resplendent. What appears good only in comparison with evil would not be truly good. The most excellent good is something even better than what is admitted to be good.”

But like St. Paul said:
“So then, he who marries the virgin does good, but he who does not marry her does even better.” (1 Cor 7:38).
 
Why marry? Why have kids?
Because we don’t have hindsight. My children don’t have to marry. I only discuss it when the daughter sometimes mentions, like a lot of girls, what they want to wear when they get married etc

If I knew how hard it can be raising teenagers I would have become a nun.
 
A vocation is a personal call. It is offered freely and must be accepted freely. Attraction to a certain way of life or to a specific person can be a good sign of being called. Most often a person comes to recognize and accept a vocation gradually. This process, sometimes called discernment, is an opportunity for growth. It can be helped by prayer and guidance from trusted mentors, friends and family.
 
I want to thank everyone for the replies so far. I will certainly take your observations and suggestions to heart.

But I’d like to offer a word of caution against complacency. In the good ol’ days, the popular culture was awash with positive signals toward, and views on, marriage and family. That is no longer the case.

I’m not suggesting a return to arranged marriages but I do worry that being passive on the subject might amount to a surrender to the popular culture which values marriage and family less and less.
 
Well my oldest is only 6. When this sort of topic comes up, we talk about things like how to know if someone is a good person, and finding out that you have shared values, making sure you really know the person & their family, have similar hopes & expectations about having & raising children, being engaged, getting married, and then having kids. We don’t make the conversation “about” those things, but make sure we mention matter-of-factly the right order to do things in (find a good person with whom you have shared values, then get married, then have kids…) but we also point out not everybody has to get married, for example mentioning Sister #1 and Sister #2 as women who have intentionally chosen not to be married and have children, and so forth.

PS, I sometimes fudge the ending of stories, so that the prince & princess spend a lot of time getting to know each other and determining they have a lot in common, and spend a long time courting each other, rather than getting married based on love at first sight.
 
I want to thank everyone for the replies so far. I will certainly take your observations and suggestions to heart.

But I’d like to offer a word of caution against complacency. In the good ol’ days, the popular culture was awash with positive signals toward, and views on, marriage and family. That is no longer the case.

I’m not suggesting a return to arranged marriages but I do worry that being passive on the subject might amount to a surrender to the popular culture which values marriage and family less and less.
One safeguard is for Catholics to only marry with approval of the Catholic Church. The Church requires preparation for this. To achieve this approved marriage, Catholic catechesis is needed, which requires the parents to ensure that the children receive it.

I believe that to ensure child catechesis requires that the Catholic parents or guarians remain faithful active Catholics. When Catholic parents fall away from active practice of their faith they could fail to obtain catechesis of their children, then the next generation, being ignorant or recalcitrant, may fail to marry with approval of the Catholic faith.
 
Human beings are designed by God to get married and have kids. The first commandment is to be fruitful and multiply.

St Paul outlined exceptions as those men and women who wish to put a greater priority on pleasing God rather than a spouse: “The unmarried man/woman is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord.”
 
1 Corinthians 7:9
But if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry, since it is better to be married than to be burnt up.


This is really the only thing marriage has going for it.
 
1 Corinthians 7:9
But if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry, since it is better to be married than to be burnt up.


This is really the only thing marriage has going for it.
Marriage is a sacrament that expresses Christ’s love for the Church.
 
“This is really the only thing marriage has going for it.” My marriage has much more going for it.
 
When did it do that (at least officially)?
I can’t say “officially” but I do remember being told by nuns and priests that the Church had added single (and, presumably, celibate) to married and religious as licit vocations. This was probably in the '70s.
 
1 Corinthians 7:9
But if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry, since it is better to be married than to be burnt up.
This is really the only thing marriage has going for it.
Yeah, I’ve heard variations on this. Essentially, marriage is the only licit way to have sex and so if you want to have sex, get married. With all due respect to St. Paul, I think we can do better than that.
 
**2231 **Some forgo marriage in order to care for their parents or brothers and sisters, to give themselves more completely to a profession, or to serve other honorable ends. They can contribute greatly to the good of the human family.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top