M
Michael_Conard
Guest
Hey everyone 
I had some down time earlier today and started to ponder an idea; I wrote out my thoughts and this is what I came up with…
Interestingly, I have always heard the Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) mantra utilized by Protestants as a way to disprove the Catholic teaching regarding salvation; however, another common argument put forward by Protestants is that those individuals who, after a time, apostatize from their faith were “never really saved to begin with.” These two doctrines could be listed as two Premises for the purpose of this post:
After having eliminated Premise 3 due to its unworkability, and reworking Premise 2, we can introduce a completely new and logical 3rd Premise:
Anyway, I thought it was a different and interesting way to look at it.
Thoughts?
I had some down time earlier today and started to ponder an idea; I wrote out my thoughts and this is what I came up with…
Interestingly, I have always heard the Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) mantra utilized by Protestants as a way to disprove the Catholic teaching regarding salvation; however, another common argument put forward by Protestants is that those individuals who, after a time, apostatize from their faith were “never really saved to begin with.” These two doctrines could be listed as two Premises for the purpose of this post:
- Once you are saved you are always saved.
- If you fall away from your faith, even if you were the most devout Christian for decades, you were never actually saved to begin with.
- You can be absolutely certain of your salvation.
- If you apostatize, you are no longer in a state of Grace.
After having eliminated Premise 3 due to its unworkability, and reworking Premise 2, we can introduce a completely new and logical 3rd Premise:
- You can only be completely assured of your salvation at the moment of your death.
- At the moment of your death, your salvation (or damnation) is decided for all of eternity.
- As a Catholic, if you apostatize from the Faith, you are no longer in a state of Grace.
- You can only be assured of the absolute salvation of your soul at the moment of your death.
- At the moment of your death, your salvation (or damnation) is decided for all of eternity.
Anyway, I thought it was a different and interesting way to look at it.
Thoughts?