C
ClearWater
Guest
I was just remembering something my grandmother told me (believe she was born at the turn of the century). She told me to pray the “beads” (rosary). Then, recently, I was looking up the rosary on the EWTN website.
It talked about the origin of the word “bead”.
…" in English it has been called “Our Lady’s Psalter” or “the beads.” This last derives from an Old English word for **prayers **(bede) and to **request **(biddan or bid)."
ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/rosary/
Again, we see nothing wrong with honoring and praying to saints, asking them for their intercession. I consider it an act of humility to acknowledge our sinfulness, need for intercessory prayer.
To me, this attitude that we must always “go it alone” seems a bit unnecessary. We have plenty around willing to help, but I hope we wouldn’t let pridefulness keep us from ever asking.
I may be a lowly sinner, unworthy to have God listen to me due to my lack of merit, but if I were able to have the Blessed Virgin ask God, that would be a whole different matter.
We can pray directly to God, but it’s recommended we not try to be an island, to acknowledge our sinfulness. The more people praying for us, in heaven and earth, the better.
It talked about the origin of the word “bead”.
…" in English it has been called “Our Lady’s Psalter” or “the beads.” This last derives from an Old English word for **prayers **(bede) and to **request **(biddan or bid)."
ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/rosary/
Again, we see nothing wrong with honoring and praying to saints, asking them for their intercession. I consider it an act of humility to acknowledge our sinfulness, need for intercessory prayer.
To me, this attitude that we must always “go it alone” seems a bit unnecessary. We have plenty around willing to help, but I hope we wouldn’t let pridefulness keep us from ever asking.
I may be a lowly sinner, unworthy to have God listen to me due to my lack of merit, but if I were able to have the Blessed Virgin ask God, that would be a whole different matter.
We can pray directly to God, but it’s recommended we not try to be an island, to acknowledge our sinfulness. The more people praying for us, in heaven and earth, the better.