A
alitaptap
Guest
Or why do Catholics have seven more books in their old testament?
The answer is simple. During the Protestant “Reformation” the Protestants removed these fully inspired books of Scripture from the Bible. As a result, Protestants have an incomplete Bible.
This subject crops up frequently here, and is more complicated than is obvious at first glance, hardly ‘simple’ as poster Holly suggests. She does not mention, for example, that these books’ canonicity was in dispute within the Roman Church for centuries.I was never taught why we lack the seven books, I was told thats the way it is. The Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry provides some reasons here: carm.org/reasons-why-apocrypha-does-not-belong-in-bible But these seems to be justifications presented after the fact.
The Reformers, esp. Luther, found great parts of Scripture (in the NT and OT) to be uninspired and/or doctrinally inaccurate and cut them out. They sort of “copy and pasted and deleted” parts of the Bible in order to fit their ideas. So, instead of building doctrine according to that which is set forth in Scripture, as they claimed on should, the rebuilt Scripture according to their invented convictions.
Thankfully, the Lord has been able to provide me with a set of Bibles that hold the full canon.
And yet this is not complete. The Dead Sea Scrolls have bits and pieces of 6 of the Deutero’s in Hebrew.My understanding is that the Jewish Canon only accepted Scripture that was written in Hebrew. The book of Maccabees, for example, was written during the Greek occupation, thus it was written in Greek. The Greeks did a pretty good job of imposing their culture on conquered territories. Funny, although the story of Hannakuh was never actually chronicled in Scripture, it occurred during this time.
The Protestants chose to adopt the Hebrew books already selected in the Jewish canon. Thus, no non-Hebrew books were admitted. This is known as the Proto Canonical books. The Catholic understanding of inspired Scripture included some non-Hebrew books and was known as (still is) the Deutero Canonical books.
Personally, I believe the books were removed in order to better match up with the theology that was being proposed…
- And the Jews didn’t close their canon until the 14th century.
- Even in Jesus’ day, there was much dispute on what constituted Scripture among the Jews.
- Follow your Dreams… Except for the one where you’re naked in Church.
So do many if not all of the protocanonical books.Macabees has errors in them. Dates are wrong, among other things.
Gee, I dunno, your sainthood, since “Peter” means rock, “You are Rock, and upon this rock…” seems pretty straightforward, The word in Aramaic is kepha.18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Jesus is looking at Peter making the above statement. Therefore, “this rock” cannot be a reference to Peter, or even Jesus, but rather Peter’s statement previously spoken.
Common sense tells you this; & the early church taught it.
The church was built on Peter’s statement.
If I could ask your source for your first statementAnd yet this is not complete. The Dead Sea Scrolls have bits and pieces of 6 of the Deutero’s in Hebrew.
And the Jews didn’t close their canon until the 14th century. Even in Jesus’ day, there was much dispute on what constituted Scripture among the Jews.
I find your interpretation interesting… So much of what evangelicals espouse is a literalist understanding of Scripture except when it doesn’t fit the theology. Then, there is an explanation that deviates from the exact wording…18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Jesus is looking at Peter making the above statement. Therefore, “this rock” cannot be a reference to Peter, or even Jesus, but rather Peter’s statement previously spoken.
Common sense tells you this; & the early church taught it.
The church was built on Peter’s statement.
Yes, all this is understood. Certainly not a simple matter. I thank you for pointing out the err in my post.This subject crops up frequently here, and is more complicated than is obvious at first glance, hardly ‘simple’ as poster Holly suggests. She does not mention, for example, that these books’ canonicity was in dispute within the Roman Church for centuries.
Nor did Luther ‘copy, paste and delete’. He viewed the deuterocanonicals as worthy of reading and study, but containing no doctrine. The KJV also included these books until a special edition without them was prepared for Calvinists, who for reasons now obscure regarded the books less favorably than Lutherans and Anglicans.
Today most new translations are the result of interdenominational scholarship and include the deuterocanonicals. No one in mainstream Christianity is trying to suppress them!
Wrong. The Council in Jamnia rejected the New Testament writings, but they did not close their Canon. There are still disputes among Jews as to the OT Canon. For instance, the Ethiopian Jews hold to the OT Canon of the Catholic Church… and they may include a few others, but I don’t recall.What is your source for the 14th century? How was the Jewish canon altered between AD90 and the 14th century?
- Wrong, the date was around AD90.
- Correct, that was prior to AD90.
- Actually, there are nudist churches.
Start a new thread.18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Jesus is looking at Peter making the above statement. Therefore, “this rock” cannot be a reference to Peter, or even Jesus, but rather Peter’s statement previously spoken.
Common sense tells you this; & the early church taught it.
The church was built on Peter’s statement.
Please give the complete details, instead of leaving out important facts.Evangelicals have 7 less books because those extra books are not inspired by God. St. Jerome was against adding those extra books but was forced to put them in the back of the Bible by the Pope. Eventually, as years went by, the books were moved into the middle of the Bible.
Macabees has errors in them. Dates are wrong, among other things.
I’ll have to look, but it won’t be til tonight. I understood that 6 of the 7 Deutero’s were found in Hebrew among the DSS.If I could ask your source for your first statement
I just posted a link on another thread that says three.