Why should i be a roman catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter MrPizzaDude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude,

I don’t put a whole lot of stock in what people state in their profile because things change, so I’d like to make sure of something. Are you a Christian? I know it says you’re a Calvinist, but I wanted to make sure I understood the question in the right perspective.

You’re a Protestant Christian who is considering becoming Catholic, is that correct?
 
Because it is the original, “full Gospel”, New Testament, Christian faith founded by our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

Also because we love life!

The Catholic Sun
by Hilaire Belloc

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s laughter and dancing and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
 
All of the answers to this question that I have read on this post seem to be thought out and from the heart. Please do not interpret my post to be anti-anybody, pretentious, or as an attempt to start conflict with anyone. I want to speak ,from my heart, the truth as it is recorded in history and by The Word of God.

When I look into Roman Catholic history, I do not see apostolic doctrines or principles. Roman Catholicism, including and especially the long line of Popes,has a documented history of torture, murder and rejection of Biblical Truths. Why don’t you look for yourselves in the history of the Last 2000 years and see just how far away the Catholic Church got away from Biblical Teaching. If you read Galatians, the apostle Paul, not even a century after Christ’s death and resurrection, was already trying to correct the doctrines of the Galatians who had gone back to foolish works based religion. The same thing with the Corinthians. So, just because a book was written by someone who lived in the times of the early church, does not make that book truth or equal with scripture. Satan was as hard at work then as he is now.

The only written word that we can go to for absolute truth is the Bible. Any written document that disputes or differs from the message that Paul and the other Apostles wrote through inspiration of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is not truth. God is incapable of being dishonest. That being said, when Paul wrote in 2 Timothy Chapter 3 verses 16 and 17 that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” he was saying that the Bible is the Actual Word of God. So when the Bible says in Ephesians Chapter 2 Verses 8 and 9 that “By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of God, NOT of WORKS, lest any man should boast.” it means just that!!! I didn’t see anything in that verse about sacraments or doing good works to be saved. What I see, and what anyone who can read will see is that we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. There is no amount of good works that we can do that will make us worthy to be in the presence of God. God describes our works in Isaiah as “filthy rags”.

Now, I am not saying that we should not do good works. Not by any means. James says in his letter that “faith without works is dead”, meaning that if you truly are a Christian, and have truly put your faith in Him, and only Him for salvation, that your life will show it by the good works you perform. When we receive Christ, by accepting his free gift of salvation, we immediately receive the Holy Spirit and are SAVED!!! See Acts Chapters 9 10. What James is trying to say is that if we truly have put our faith in Jesus (thus received the Holy Spirit) our lives will show it. Another way to put it is; “you say that you are a Christian? Where is the proof in your life then?” If your life doesn’t show it, then you never truly had faith and you are spiritually dead.

We can do NOTHING in this life to deserve salvation. If there were something that we could do, some amount of works that we could work, to please God enough to allow us into his presence, Why did He have to send His Son to die on the cross?? He sent Jesus to die because there are NO amount of good works that we can do to out weigh the sin that we have committed. We are not deserving of anything outside of an eternity separated from God. That is Why… Christ had to come!!! Only HIS Blood can wash away our sins. John 3:16 " For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son. That WHOSOEVER believeth on Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life." Whosoever!!! Not just Catholics!! Anyone!!! The word Gospel is actually translated “Good News”, and boy is that Good News or what? Here are a few more verses stating the same theme:

“For the wages of sin is death, but the GIFT of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord” Romans 6:23

“For WHOSOVER shall call upon the name of the Lord Shall BE SAVED” Romans 10:13

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be SAVED. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” Romans chapter 10, verses 9 and 10.

Its not about being Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox etc… It is about believing what the Word of God says. I encourage you to read the books of Romans, Ephesians, and Galatians, among other books in the Bible. I also encourage anyone who is reading this to stop what you are doing write now and ask Jesus to come into your heart and life and to Save you from your sins. Put your Faith in Him and only him for salvation. Nothing else, and the Bible says that immediately you will receive “the comforter” meaning the Holy Spirit and will be saved.

READ The Bible!!! It spells it out plainly!!! You don’t need a priest or the pope… you need Jesus Christ!!!

For the many of you who disagree with what I (from God’s word mind you) have said, just know that I wrote this out of love for people and want everyone to know the truth. I am tired of seeing so many put there trust is other things besides Christ Alone. I love you all and speak only from my heart and God’s Word.

I would continue if I did not have somewhere to be.🙂 May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Thank you.
 
In short, don’t join because they have Christ with the Cross.
Why should i be a roman catholic
Because we have Christ with the Cross. 👍
 
All of the answers to this question that I have read on this post seem to be thought out and from the heart. Please do not interpret my post to be anti-anybody, pretentious, or as an attempt to start conflict with anyone. I want to speak ,from my heart, the truth as it is recorded in history and by The Word of God.
Welcome to the forums. I hope that your time here is enlightening to you. It certainly has been for me.

I do not take your post as trying to start a conflict, and I hope you will take my replies in that same vein.
When I look into Roman Catholic history, I do not see apostolic doctrines or principles.
Actually to see the apostolic doctrines and principles it is best to look at the teachings of the Church rather than history…Not that history isn’t important…but the doctrines and principles are best seen in the teachings.
Roman Catholicism, including and especially the long line of Popes,has a documented history of torture, murder and rejection of Biblical Truths.
Yes, the history of the world is full of such things - war, torture, murder and such and the Christian community Catholic and Protestant has been guilty - may God have mercy on us.
As for rejection of biblical truths…We would be happy to discuss any that you would like to bring up (preferably in a new thread)
Why don’t you look for yourselves in the history of the Last 2000 years and see just how far away the Catholic Church got away from Biblical Teaching.
I have looked into the history - and have not found this to be true.
If you read Galatians, the apostle Paul, not even a century after Christ’s death and resurrection, was already trying to correct the doctrines of the Galatians who had gone back to foolish works based religion. The same thing with the Corinthians.
Yup one must be on guard all the time. I’m glad that the Catholic Church does not teach a works based faith.
So, just because a book was written by someone who lived in the times of the early church, does not make that book truth or equal with scripture. Satan was as hard at work then as he is now.
Interesting comment. My first thought was - if first century books could be in error, then how do you know that Paul’s writings are reliable? I think that this is a good question to ponder.
The only written word that we can go to for absolute truth is the Bible.
Why?
Any written document that disputes or differs from the message that Paul and the other Apostles wrote through inspiration of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is not truth.
God is incapable of being dishonest.
Agreed
That being said, when Paul wrote in 2 Timothy Chapter 3 verses 16 and 17 that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” he was saying that the Bible is the Actual Word of God.
And Jesus said that where there are difficult disputes among the brethren we are to “Tell it to the Church” and we are to listen to the Church" - for the Church has the authority to bind and loose (Mt 18:15-18). Paul reinforces this in his 1st letter to Timothy where he states that it is the Church that is the Pillar And Ground of Truth.
So - While Scripture is useful, The Church is thepPillar and the ground of Truth and is declared by Christ Himself to be authoritative.
Further Paul states in Eph 3 that it is, "10…through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.
Scripture says so.
So when the Bible says in Ephesians Chapter 2 Verses 8 and 9 that “By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of God, NOT of WORKS, lest any man should boast.” …
I’m a bit confused…Do you think that the Catholic Church teaches a works based salvation?
If you do you are seriously mistaken.
Its not about being Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox etc… It is about believing what the Word of God says.
I encourage this also for I am confident that if you truly believe the words of Scripture, you will find yourself drawn to the Catholic Church.
I also encourage anyone who is reading this to stop what you are doing write now and ask Jesus to come into your heart and life and to Save you from your sins
.
Now you’ve crossed a line. You are assuming that the people who populate this board are not true believers.
For the many of you who disagree with what I (from God’s word mind you) have said, just know that I wrote this out of love for people and want everyone to know the truth. I am tired of seeing so many put there trust is other things besides Christ Alone. I love you all and speak only from my heart and God’s Word.
I appreciate that you have done this out of Love. But let me ask you this.
Why should I assume that you and your understanding of Scripture (and history) is right and the many other forms, brands and flavors of Christianity are wrong?
It was the Holy Spirit who led me home to the Catholic Church.
I would continue if I did not have somewhere to be.🙂 May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Thank you.
Come on back any time. Like I said earlier, there are many here would love to discuss these matters with you further - and in all charity.

Peace
James
 
All of the answers to this question that I have read on this post seem to be thought out and from the heart. Please do not interpret my post to be anti-anybody, pretentious, or as an attempt to start conflict with anyone. I want to speak ,from my heart, the truth as it is recorded in history and by The Word of God.
Please let us know when you get accurate history and when you can show us where exactly in the Word of God it lays claim to the ultimate and final authority that you have been wrongly taught to ascribe to it.

The fact is that the Bible actually tells us that the pillar and ground of the truth is the church…not the scriptures. (See 1st Timothy 3:15)
When I look into Roman Catholic history, I do not see apostolic doctrines or principles. Roman Catholicism, including and especially the long line of Popes,has a documented history of torture, murder and rejection of Biblical Truths.
Posh…And your source is? Boettner’s lying propaganda? The “Boettner List”: Fact or Fiction?

Alexander Hislop’s lies? Or maybe one of these? The Five Most Influential Anti-Catholic Books
Why don’t you look for yourselves in the history of the Last 2000 years and see just how far away the Catholic Church got away from Biblical Teaching.
And which ones would that be? I notice that you don’t waste time enumerating all that. Why? Are we not worthy of your 'wisdom and knowledge"?
If you read Galatians, the apostle Paul, not even a century after Christ’s death and resurrection, was already trying to correct the doctrines of the Galatians who had gone back to foolish works based religion. The same thing with the Corinthians. So, just because a book was written by someone who lived in the times of the early church, does not make that book truth or equal with scripture. ** Satan was as hard at work then as he is now. **
Yeah, we can see that by all the anti-Catholic lies and propaganda that so many people like you come at us with. People who have been deceived by others with Bibles in their hands and who work hard to deter you from looking at what what authentic and verifiable history of the early Christians, who were most definitely Catholics. But you have never had the courage of your convictions to actually research them and weigh it against all the things that you have been indoctrinated with. You can begin that research with Church Fathers Index but I doubt you’ll prove that courageous.
The only written word that we can go to for absolute truth is the Bible.
Really? Exactly where does the Bible say that?
Any written document that disputes or differs from the message that Paul and the other Apostles wrote through inspiration of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is not truth.
Let me know when you can provide such and authentic and authoritative Catholic document because I happen to know that no such exist.
God is incapable of being dishonest. That being said, when Paul wrote in 2 Timothy Chapter 3 verses 16 and 17 that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” he was saying that the Bible is the Actual Word of God.
Yet that does not ascribe to it the final and ultimate authority that you do and as I have already shown you, above, the New Testament does indeed tells us what the basis for all truth is.
So when the Bible says in Ephesians Chapter 2 Verses 8 and 9 …
Which of course conveniently ignores Matthew 25:31-46 and the 6th chapter of John’s Gospel. Why is that? Oh wait! They disagree with your doctrines and yet are clearly spelled out in the Word of God. How will you resolve that? Gonna go ask your pastor? But wait…isn’t he the guy who taught you these errant beliefs to begin with? Then how can he be trusted?
(Cont’d)
 
When we receive Christ, by accepting his free gift of salvation, we immediately receive the Holy Spirit and are SAVED!!!
And where is that specifically found in God’s Word?
Another way to put it is; “you say that you are a Christian? Where is the proof in your life then?” If your life doesn’t show it, then you never truly had faith and you are spiritually dead.
You don’t even know any of us and you presume that we don’t live up to this by our faith. That’s definitely an http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/emo-epicfail.png
We can do NOTHING in this life to deserve salvation.
Again, please show me any authentic and authoritative Catholic teaching that says otherwise. I know that you can’t because 1. you haven’t got the courage to actually research what we believe from our own sources like the Catechism of the Catholic Church and 2. no such teaching exists.
That WHOSOEVER believeth on Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life." Whosoever!!! Not just Catholics!! Anyone!!!
Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ specifically tells us “He that is not with me, is against me: and he that gathereth not with me, scattereth.” (See Matthew 12:30 & Luke 11:23) which might well explain the thousands of different “churches” that have been founded by men in the last 500 years, but I doubt you’ve ever thought about that.
Its not about being Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox etc… It is about believing what the Word of God says. I encourage you to read the books of Romans, Ephesians, and Galatians, among other books in the Bible.
And I would encourage you to take the time to read the Word of God completely in it’s context and then ask yourself why you can’t find passages that specifically teach the doctrines that you have been taught by modern men. Sadly, (for people like you) I and many of my Catholic brothers and sisters have done exactly that and that is precisely why we are Catholics. (See My Testimony)
I also encourage anyone who is reading this to stop what you are doing write now and** ask Jesus to come into your heart and life and to Save you from your sins.**
Put your Faith in Him and only him for salvation. And that invitation is found where exactly in the Word of God? What? It doesn’t say that exactly? Then how can that be an authentic Christian teaching even by the standards of your own errant Sola Scriptura theology? The truth is that it can’t, because both are unscriptural new winds of doctrines of modern men. (See Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?)
READ The Bible!!! It spells it out plainly!!! You don’t need a priest or the pope… you need Jesus Christ!!!
Would you tolerate an individual coming into your own home (for that is what CAF is for us Catholics) and making such an offensive and uncharitable remark like that? Notice that we didn’t seek you out to do that to you…yet you seem to think that you are on some kind of justifiable effort at anti-Catholic evangelism and don’t seem to really care about us. That’s a real shame…
For the many of you who disagree with what I (from God’s word mind you) have said, just know that I wrote this out of love for people and want everyone to know the truth. I am tired of seeing so many put there trust is other things besides Christ Alone. I love you all and speak only from my heart and God’s Word.
You may be sincerely coming from your heart, but I’ll rejoin you with something I once heard a Baptist preacher tell his congregation. “You can be sincere, but you can also be sincerely wrong.”
I would continue if I did not have somewhere to be.🙂 May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Thank you.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/sSig_yeahright.gif Thanks for the nasty drive by lady. I’ll leave you with a link to something that I hope and pray will open your eyes and heart. God’s Love for You
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top