Why the emphasis on Confession/Sacrament of Reconcilliation only at Christmas and Easter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicMedic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheeniac, I will invite you to do what I finally feel “liberated” enough to do – and that is to ignore the mortal/venial dichotomy as far as the practice of confession goes, as far as my experience and consciousness of my own personal sin goes. If I’ve offended God enough to recognize the action as a sin, it’s confessable, to me. It should be confessed. It seems to me that to do anything else is to conceive of the sacrament as something benefiting a theology class, or something that a priest is going to quiz you on, or something that the penitent is oddly “holding” onto for some power-tripping reason.

If I’m questioning whether something is even a (minor) sin at all, then I probably don’t consider it confessional material.

No, of course it’s not necessary/essential, etc., to confess venial sins. But it is to the penitent’s benefit to confess them along with the mortal ones, because the graces are for us, not for the priest. To be most in union with another person – and God is a person – the way to do that is to hold nothing back. The quality of our relationships with others is based on the mutual giving and mutual disclosure in those relationships. As in human relationships, we will “get” from God & from the sacrament as we give and give forth – despite the fact that his giving is far more generous in response to our efforts than we deserve.

The classmate in scripture class is wrong: It’s very difficult not to commit any mortal sin (in say a year’s time – we had this discussion several months ago on CAF 🙂 ). However, it is very, very easy to lack awareness, not just because of bad catechesis & lukewarm preaching, but because the Devil is a fox & successfully plays with our minds & our ability to rationalize & repress what is ugly in ourselves. The cardinal sins are the motivators for the many sins committed by most people in a year’s time, and those motivators are heavy enough to lead to several grave occasions of sin unless the person is quite vigilant, prayerful, and frequently confesses ordinary sins during the year, obtaining the graces to resist the more serious sins.
 
Have you asked your Pastor these questions? My parish offers confession times 3x a week all year. Confession is offered every day during the last weeks before Christmas and Easter, but never a penance service.

Remember also that we are not required to go to confession a set number or times or frequency. I strongly believe that frequent confession is a wonderful gift, but we do have to remeber that we are only required to go in case of mortal sin.
Here we are in Advent season again and my Diocese will be hosting a plethora of “Penance Services” at the different parishes. I don’t have a problem with this. The same happens during Lent before Easter.

What I do have a problem with is the emphasis on this sacrament only twice a year. Throughout the year I will hear clergy lament that “Catholics don’t go to confession anymore.” I’ll admit the laity has gotten indifferent toward sin in general and the sacrament in particular. But to be honest, the Church is not help either.

Confession tends to be offered for an hour in the middle of Saturday afternoon only. Or as my bulletin says “by appointment” which is almost a joke in my parish. My Pastor is so busy that the only time you can receive Confession “by appointment” is if you also receiving last rites.

Really, why can’t Confession be offered more often? Perhaps, offer it early in the morning on a weekday (or multiple weekdays) before people go to work? Or how about offering it in the evenings? I think that offering it at more convenient times will encourage more people to participate. Also, by offering it frequently the Church will send a message that it thinks it is still very important.

Daily Communion is available, why not daily confession?

Borrowing a phrase from a famous movie; "If you offer it, they will come.”
 
Again, I don’t think that CatholicMedic is concerned about what’s “required.” He specifically posted that he’s in favor of daily confessional opportunities in the parish, and most people aren’t saying that necessarily because they themselves routinely “need” it (“mortally”) daily. He’s talking about the benefits of frequent available confession – and I presume, he means it for all, not just for himself. (I know I mean it for all, not just myself. I look to peers – other Catholics – as helpful role models, and I’m inspired when I see frequent partakers of Confession! 🙂 It makes me wonder if I can measure up to that!) Not to mention, people in a state of grace can be carriers of grace for others, so truly we all benefit when our fellow Catholics receive the sacrament often.
 
When I came to this parish Confessions were heard for 30 minutes before Sunday Masses (both actual and anticipated) ending 15 minutes before Mass so that Fr. could vest and greet his parishioners.

In 2004 we got a pastor who decided that since ‘no one comes’ he wouldn’t bother being in the reconciliation room for those 30 minutes. “If they want to go to confession they can ask me.” All well and good but he didn’t even show up until 15 minutes before Mass and at that point people didn’t want to bother him because he was in conversation with the people coming in. Plus, nobody wants to have to go get the priest by the hand, they want to slip in, confess and leave.

Unfortunately, the present pastor has maintained the same practice. I’ve been known to accost him while I’m at work and saying “Er, Fr., if you’ve got a minute can you hear my confession?” I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything more uncomfortable than confessing to my boss, though. At least he hasn’t suggested docking my pay for the time I’m in the reconciliation room.😉
**In 2004 we got a pastor who decided that since ‘no one comes’ he wouldn’t bother being in the reconciliation room for those 30 minutes. “If they want to go to confession they can ask me.” All well and good but he didn’t even show up until 15 minutes before Mass and at that point people didn’t want to bother him because he was in conversation with the people coming in. Plus, nobody wants to have to go get the priest by the hand, they want to slip in, confess and leave. **
In my parish the same identical circumstances takes place. One has to admit due to personal pride on behalf of the majority of the laity that they hate or dislike the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Yet; rarely if any does one hear a homily from a priest during the year, with the exception Lent and Advent outside of Mass at a special Penitential service

Having to search for a priest 30 minutes before Mass while he is chatting with people in the Sacristy can be embarrassing for many people. But perhaps this embarrassment thing of bending one’s ego in an act of humility is exactly what is needed since so few show up for private confession. I don’t know; maybe the blame rest equally on the laity and the priest for not finding better ways to avail themselves to this powerful Sacrament that is so little talked about. It is seriously sad that this Sacrament is becoming the least important in the minds of the laity and sometimes the priest himself.
 
centurionguard;6070940**Having to search for a priest 30 minutes before Mass while he is chatting with people in the Sacristy can be embarrassing for many people. [/quote said:
It also seems to compromise the faithful’s right to confess anonymously. This may not matter for some of us, but those who wish to confess anonymously should have a regular convenient way to do so.
 
It also seems to compromise the faithful’s right to confess anonymously. This may not matter for some of us, but those who wish to confess anonymously should have a regular convenient way to do so.
Respectfully; I can accept what you are saying to a point. And generally I too would share your sentiments. However; if one feels the need to confess ones sins; just how much onus would we attach ourselves to being anonymous when in the situation of private confession traditionally where a priest sits in a confessional and usually there’s a line-up outside the confessional. There’s “very little” anonymity when your lined-up amongst other sinners wanting to receive the Sacrament of Penance. Again I do respectfully understand your point. As I said in my last post it’s sad that so few of the laity show up for this important Sacrament. And it’s a shame that out of habit that “some” priest will not avail themselves after time and time again no person shows up to receive the Sacrament of Penance.

Yet for those who do avail ourselves like you and myself, unfortunately have to go through the embarrassment of seeking a priest to hear our confession. Two wrongs on behalf of the general populace of laity and some priests never make a right. It makes it difficult for those of us who do avail ourselves to this Sacrament often.
 
Remember also that we are not required to go to confession a set number or times or frequency. I strongly believe that frequent confession is a wonderful gift, but we do have to remeber that we are only required to go in case of mortal sin.
No we are not required to go a set number of times, but were required to recieve the Eucharist once a year. In order to do that we cannot be in a state of mortal sin. I find it hard to beilve that in a year’s time anyone has not committed mortal sin.

However, many Catholics today do not known what mortal sin is. Unfortunatley some clergy don’t either.

I remember my marriage prepartion class several years ago. A couple asked the priest they were still supposed to refrain from recieiving the Eucharist if they missed Mass.They were correct in thinking so since this is considered mortal sin (without just cause like an illness etc.). I was floored by his response. He actually told the couple that if they weren’t sure if they should receive, “just do it!”. I regret to this day that I didn’t stand up and call him on it.

If any sacrament should be approached with a “just do it” attitude, it should be Confession/Reconcilliation not the Eucharist!

If your not sure you should go to Confession, just do it!!
 
Again, I don’t think that CatholicMedic is concerned about what’s “required.” He specifically posted that he’s in favor of daily confessional opportunities in the parish, and most people aren’t saying that necessarily because they themselves routinely “need” it (“mortally”) daily. He’s talking about the benefits of frequent available confession – and I presume, he means it for all, not just for himself. (I know I mean it for all, not just myself. I look to peers – other Catholics – as helpful role models, and I’m inspired when I see frequent partakers of Confession! 🙂 It makes me wonder if I can measure up to that!) Not to mention, people in a state of grace can be carriers of grace for others, so truly we all benefit when our fellow Catholics receive the sacrament often.
Thank you Elizabeth…you got my point.
 
Respectfully; I can accept what you are saying to a point. And generally I too would share your sentiments. However; if one feels the need to confess ones sins; just how much onus would we attach ourselves to being anonymous when in the situation of private confession traditionally where a priest sits in a confessional and usually there’s a line-up outside the confessional. There’s “very little” anonymity when your lined-up amongst other sinners wanting to receive the Sacrament of Penance.
The anonymity is between the priest and the penitent. My parent thought nothing of standing in line with other sinners but they still preferred driving to the next parish to enter the confessional and confess their sins to a priest who didn’t know who they were – and they did it at least once a month on Saturday afternoon, usually with three kids who were also expected to also go in and confess.
 
At my parish we have the usual hour on Saturday, plus by appointment, but for whatever reason, people totally make appointments. I know of several people, myself included, who are not a bit shy about calling or even catching the priest before LotH to ask for confession after Mass. Whenever I’ve gone to the scheduled time, there are always half a dozen people there. When I phone, he always gets me in the same day, sometimes even when my schedule is very tight. It is clearly a priority for him. We don’t hear about it a whole lot in homilies, but certainly at the beginning of Lent and Advent, when he invites people to communal Reconciliation.
 
The anonymity is between the priest and the penitent. My parent thought nothing of standing in line with other sinners but they still preferred driving to the next parish to enter the confessional and confess their sins to a priest who didn’t know who they were – and they did it at least once a month on Saturday afternoon, usually with three kids who were also expected to also go in and confess.
My parent thought nothing of standing in line with other sinners but they still preferred driving to the next parish to enter the confessional and confess their sins to a priest who didn’t know who they were
I can certainly appreciate your thoughts here because I often would see the French priest at the Cathedral to hear my confession. One thing I found strange though in the course of working over ten years as a Sacristan with six different priests in the English deanery. My later priest would not hear my confessions for some unknown reason whereas he claimed it would put him in a position to judge me.

This caught me off guard because I never thought a priest could refuse to hear a persons confession unless he thought their was a serious question of contrite sorrow for ones sins. This same priest is now an Archbishop in western Canada.

It’s not that I’m questioning his reasoning although I do find it odd.
This Archbishop always flies home for Christmas to visit his mother in my city.
I happy to see him during Christmas and New Years where he usually celebrates one of the Masses at our parish.
 
My point is that questions like these can only be answered by your pastor. what you expereince at your parish is unique to that parish. My point is that Christmas and Easter are time that even lukewarm Catholics return to their faith and so it is an EXCELLENT time for parishes to have additional confession times.

Again though, if you want to encourage your priest to have confession more often throughout the year, than ask him. Pray for him and ask him in a spirit of humility and love.
No we are not required to go a set number of times, but were required to recieve the Eucharist once a year. In order to do that we cannot be in a state of mortal sin. I find it hard to beilve that in a year’s time anyone has not committed mortal sin.

However, many Catholics today do not known what mortal sin is. Unfortunatley some clergy don’t either.

I remember my marriage prepartion class several years ago. A couple asked the priest they were still supposed to refrain from recieiving the Eucharist if they missed Mass.They were correct in thinking so since this is considered mortal sin (without just cause like an illness etc.). I was floored by his response. He actually told the couple that if they weren’t sure if they should receive, “just do it!”. I regret to this day that I didn’t stand up and call him on it.

If any sacrament should be approached with a “just do it” attitude, it should be Confession/Reconcilliation not the Eucharist!

If your not sure you should go to Confession, just do it!!
 
This Archbishop always flies home for Christmas to visit his mother in my city.
I happy to see him during Christmas and New Years where he usually celebrates one of the Masses at our parish.
A bishop who doesn’t spend Christmas in his own diocese?

That’s like a husband not spending Christmas with his wife, I’d have thought…
 
I can certainly appreciate your thoughts here because I often would see the French priest at the Cathedral to hear my confession.

It’s always more comfortable confessing in your own language “Pardonnez-moi mon père, parce que j’ai péché” will always be more natural to me.

One thing I found strange though in the course of working over ten years as a Sacristan with six different priests in the English deanery. My later priest would not hear my confessions for some unknown reason whereas he claimed it would put him in a position to judge me.

This caught me off guard because I never thought a priest could refuse to hear a persons confession unless he thought their was a serious question of contrite sorrow for ones sins.

It’s awkward confessing to one of your bosses and it’s probably just as awkward for them to look at me the next day as it is for me to look at them. It’s a good thing neither one of the guys I work for refuses to hear my confessions though, since there is no one else to do so.
 
A bishop who doesn’t spend Christmas in his own diocese?

That’s like a husband not spending Christmas with his wife, I’d have thought…
…

I would have given the same train of thought you do but I’m not the Archbishop.

Then again bishops do have their privileges even if we the laity disagree.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top