Why the same sins over and over?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

Why do I keep commiting the same mortal sins over and over again? How do I keep from sin? I don’t fear it as I should, I don’t think I am sorry enough, sometimes I wonder if I’m sorry at all. How can I be more sorry for my sins (which are many). I go to confession weekly, because I have to, but I keep doing the same sind over and over and over, maybe I don’t love God, Maybe I’m not sorry. How do I develop a deep hatred for sin. I know one thing is to avoid near occassions of sin, what if you can’t, or won’t?😦

I don’t have any advice for you but I feel exactly the same way you do. All I can say is that prayer is our best weapon. But you are not alone.

It sounds like you have an affection to those particular sins, like the rest of us do. To stop that particular sin we must break the affection to it. Think about why you have this affection, and how you can break it. It is not a easy journey but with the graces from God you can overcome them. You are not alone in this journey we all have to take it if we want to come closer to God. May I suggest the book “Introduction to a Devout Life” by St. Francis DeSales. He speaks about this in here. Also “The Way of the Pilgrim” is another good book. They both can be purchased from Pauline books. They also are on the internet. Rememeber that if we all truly examine our selves that all of us are on this journey together. I will keep you in my prayers and may God bestow on you all of His blessings and Graces.

Glory be to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

Ya know Dizzy, that is an awesome question. I, too, struggle with the same sins over and over…confess them over and over again.
That is part of our humanness.

So I realized that I could not break my habit of sin by myself. I have come to know that I can only change through the gifts of the Spirit. And I also realized I was the one who needed to change.

I am determined to change and have completely centered my life around God now. I now spend time with God, the sacraments, Adoration, daily mass. I have found these things have helped me beyond belief! My use of free time has changed, my socializing choices have changed, what I think about has changed.

I am more conscientious about committing the sins which I would fall so easily to before. Mind you, I still fall but less frequently.

It has been a long road of prayer, devotion time, and faith.
May God help you on your journey.

Breaking a habit, whether good or bad, is difficult and takes a lot of effort.

It is usually not sufficient just to avoid doing the habit, but rather developing habits to replace and counter to old one.

Try to find a good habit that you can develop that counters the bad one you want to overcome. Work on both the good habit and on avoiding the bad habit.

When you fall, get back up and try again (and if sinful, go to confession as well).

Dear dizzy_dave,

I guess you can see that many people have the same problem. You’re not alone in the least bit. More than likely this sin is one you have a weakness for.

Don’t focus on your feelings about sin. Focus instead on doing God’s will. If you fall into it then fulfill God’s will by seeking forgiveness. Chances are when you fall into this sin you become lukewarm and it is hard to stir your mind or heart to any good feeling regarding God.

Also be prepared for temptation. Pray for the grace to overcome with special attention to this sin. Have an action plan for when temptation comes. For example, plan to call on Jesus immediately. Or move to some other location immediately and pray. Plan what you will pray. If you don’t feel love for God or aversion to the sin, just tell yourself, “God first. No matter what.” Don’t argue with yourself or with the enemy. Just repeat a phrase like this.

My experience is that immediate action helps alot. The more time goes by while you dwell on it, the worse it becomes. Respond boldly and immediately. I sometimes just yell, “STOP!” mentally when I see the enemy turning the corner (so to speak).

During the day, recite brief prayers or scripture verses as a way to stay in God’s presence. Lift your mind to God, feeling or no feeling.

Pray to the Holy Spirit. Remember that your sin casts the Divine Guest from your soul.

Don’t lose hope and trust in Him.

There are some very good suggestions on this thread, but another vantage point may help. Think of terms of athletics. Why does a particular athlete repeatedly make the same mistakes or suffer the same injuries? Similarly, why do some others with less talent find a way to win?

1.) Some fail in an activity within the game that uses a part of their bodies that is weak, leading to injury or a body foul. They need to work outside the game to strengthen that part of themselves. They also need to avoid overstraining the weak parts of their bodies.
2.) Some fail at an activity that was learned incorrectly and practiced incorrectly. This athlete can change only with difficulty, by consistent correct practice.
3.) Some athletes persist in a particular style of game, even though his or her strengths and weaknesses won’t support it. These athletes need outside criticism and coaching, as well as a willingness to leave behind their preferred style of play.
4.) Some athletes have not learned how to defend against a certain move of the opponent without commiting a certain foul, and the opponent knows it… thus the opponent has no need to change their plan of attack. These athletes need to consider a new game plan.
5.) Likewise, some athletes cede advantage by not knowing their opponent’s abilities and tactics, thus letting the opponent control the game.
6.) Some athletes do not give themselves enough rest or proper nutrition prior to competition. It is impossible for them to rise to the occasion, no matter how much other preparation they have done… or how well-rested and well-fed they were last week or last month.

And so on…

Most athletes are not granted the particular talent to reach perfection in every aspect of his or her game… these athletes just have to do the best they can to improve and then strategize so as to keep that part of the game from gaining undo importance in the final outcome, whenever possible. The champions win by keeping their eye on the prize, by using every opportunity to gain overall advantage, by keeping themselves “coachable”, and by never, ever giving up until the final buzzer sounds. In doing that, 99.9% of what leads to their win is done on the practice field… that is, when no one is there to cheer or hand out points, and when their opponent’s efforts are out of sight.

I think that within the spiritual life, as within athletics, we need to recognize that although we strive to improve, we aren’t going to reach perfection in our every move. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worth doing, only that we will have limited success. In fact, it is axiomatic in athletics that athletes must dwell on past mistakes only long enough to address them. After that, they have to put them in the past. (Doesn’t the sacrament of reconciliation just keep making more and more sense?)

What matters is that our success is sufficient to gain the prize. To do this, our striving has to include nutrition and self-care, persistence, self-discipline, outside direction, trust in the source of that direction, and an openness to change in order to submit to that direction. Sitting and wishing we were better won’t cut it. “Run so as to win!”

I, too, struggle with the same sins over and over again. One thing that has helped me in the past few months is that, when I’m tempted to commit certain sin that I continue to struggle with, I remember that I’m going to have to confess it on Saturday. The more I’ve done this, the less I seem to be tempted by the same sin. Granted, it hasn’t gotten rid of the temptation all-together, but it has helped significantly.

I would also encourage you to develop a great love for Confession. I absolutely love Confession, and I always go on Saturdays-after I’m spent an hour before the Blessed Sacrament. There’s something about praying the Stations of the Cross right before Confession that really humbles me and convicts me of my sin. When I’ve sinned greatly it is difficult to get myself to go, but after I’m done I’m always so grateful that I’ve gone and that I’m reconciled with Christ and His Church. Christ always reminds me, after I’m done, why I go to Confession and why I need it so desperately.

I’ll remember you in my Holy Hour this Saturday.
Scout :tiphat:

I was feeling the same way up until yesterday. But then I realized, or rather God showed me that His Love is greater than any sin that we can commit. No matter what we do, He still loves us. If we repent and turn to Him, He forgives us.

I feel like hatred of sin is not an end in itself. It should be an outgrowth of our love for God. If you truly love someone, then you fear to offend them. It should be the same way with God.

If we focus too much on our own sinfulness, we begin to think that it is all about us and what we do. But the truth is, it isn’t all about us. It is about Him and what He did for us on the Cross.

If it were up to us to achieve our own salvation, we would have no chance of getting to heaven. But, THANK GOD, it isn’t up to us. All we must do is believe.

40.png
Benignus:
If it were up to us to achieve our own salvation, we would have no chance of getting to heaven. But, THANK GOD, it isn’t up to us. All we must do is believe.
Yes! Yet it is an active belief, a deep trusting that will enable the gift of courage to prompt us to action. It is not enough to say, “I can never get myself across that chasm, but God can.” You have to go to the edge of the chasm, and when the call comes, you need let God disentangle you from yourself and then** throw** you across. (Ack!)

We can’t get ourselves into heaven… kind of like a cat can’t give itself a bath! (And Heaven help me, I have to admit: I still have those furry paws splayed.)

Well never forget that satan knows where we are weakest and also knows when to strike.

He is always looking for a way in and it will always be in those areas where we have the weakest control. That is why that same sins raise their ugly head over and over again.

satan will not try anything new when he knows that we fall easily in one particular area.

Remember always to try and recognise the temptation early then stand on it and openly reject it. Vocalise it if you have to.

I always say “St Michael Deal with him” 👍

Works a treat.

Fergal
Naas
Ireland

In addition to the other helpful suggestions here, I’d like to add a comment. Although it is certainly true that we often commit the same sins even when we are truly sorry for them (I know I do!), I think you’re right–lack of true sorrow could be the reason why you’ve had such difficulty.

One thing that has worked for me–when you perform an examination of conscience before Confession, you might try spending more time brainstorming the steps that you must take to avoid each sin in the future. What needs to be done to remove this sin from your life? Come up with concrete answers to this question. Then try asking yourself honestly, “Am I willing to do these things?” If not, as previous posters have mentioned, meditating on the Stations of the Cross, spending time before the Blessed Sacrament, etc., will often help you to see your sin in the light of God’s will and Christ’s suffering. It is important to develop, in addition to genuine regret or sorrow, the “firm purpose of amendment” required for a good Confession.

You might also want to try talking with a priest or spiritual director. They might be able to suggest exercises specific to your “problem sins” and to advise you in putting “new habits” into practice.

And remember: perfect contrition (sorrow for having offended God), though most holy, is not necessary for a valid Confession–your sorrow can also be motivated by fear of hell or desire for heaven. God understands that we are not always perfect in our intentions!

Good luck with your struggle–the battle against sin is frustrating for all of us!

40.png
dizzy_dave:
Why do I keep commiting the same mortal sins over and over again? How do I keep from sin? I don’t fear it as I should, I don’t think I am sorry enough, sometimes I wonder if I’m sorry at all. How can I be more sorry for my sins (which are many). I go to confession weekly, because I have to, but I keep doing the same sind over and over and over, maybe I don’t love God, Maybe I’m not sorry. How do I develop a deep hatred for sin. I know one thing is to avoid near occassions of sin, what if you can’t, or won’t?😦
Just from my own experience, I’d say try to pray the rosary for this intention and ask specifically for being able to hate sin be disgusted by it…if you keep asking our Blessed Mother for this, she is likely to be able to help obtain this grace from Jesus very easily as I have seen happen often since she know better how to ask it and what you may need to work on that your yourself would be able to see…and then she will help you to conform yourself to Jesus.

I love the Rosary for granting me the grace to help deal with temptation.

One other thing, “If it is your eye that troubles you gouge it out and cast it away, better for the eye to burn in hell than the whole body” I find this more than just a line, Jesus is telling us to physically remove the temptation, this is what works for me. Sometimes this is so tough to do but very necessary for overcoming repetitive sins.

and as you learn, gradually, over time, to overcome the sin, i encourage you, too, to see the good that God brings out of it.

i know it sounds crazy to think of God bringing good out of sin, but there is Biblical evidence for it (romans 8:28), and i’ve seen it happen so many times.

one of the main things that my own weaknesses and sinful proclivities do for ME is it makes me far more humble than i once was. i no longer look down on people for their weaknesses, because i only have to remember mine, and i am in their shoes.

another thing that God has done in my life, working through my sin, is to make me sensitive to others, and realize, without being told, when they might be leaning towards the same thing, or might be trying to avoid a near miss, and i can step in and help. a nudge in the right direction goes a long way, and the nudge is easier to give now that i’m familiar with the well worn path to that temptation.

don’t be discouraged! it’s hard - it’s our salvation! we are working it out with fear and trembling. let us pray for one another.

We are all in this together, and you have already received some wonderful help.

A couple of things that help me:

**Keep a crucifix nearby ** – on a wall where you are usually tempted, around your neck, in your pocket, on your computer – wherever you need it. When you feel tempted, look at Jesus and remember what He did for all of our sins. Then ask yourself if you really want to hurt Him again.

Our Lord knows of your struggle, so **lay it at His feet and ask for His help. ** If you are sincere in wanting to change, He will help you. It may not be in the way you envision the help, coming, however, so be open to His will in your life.

If you’re not already doing so, set up a regular hour at least once a week for Eucharistic adoration. This has greatly helped my relationship with Our Lord, and as I grow closer to Him, the less I want to ever do anything to hurt Him.

Just the fact that you are asking for help is a great grace! Our Lord will help you and you will be in our prayers!

40.png
eremos:
Don’t focus on your feelings about sin. Focus instead on doing God’s will. If you fall into it then fulfill God’s will by seeking forgiveness.

Also be prepared for temptation. Pray for the grace to overcome with special attention to this sin. Have an action plan for when temptation comes. For example, plan to call on Jesus immediately. Or move to some other location immediately and pray. Plan what you will pray. If you don’t feel love for God or aversion to the sin, just tell yourself, “God first. No matter what.” Don’t argue with yourself or with the enemy. Just repeat a phrase like this.
During the day, recite brief prayers or scripture verses as a way to stay in God’s presence. Lift your mind to God, feeling or no feeling.

Don’t lose hope and trust in Him.
You’ve got it, Eremos! 🙂
This is almost exactly what St John of the Cross advises in a rather obscure “spiritual saying” of his, that I have only ever come across a couple of times, but it was so good I wrote it out in full, and whenever I REMEMBER to use it, it works so simply and effectively. (Oh, how I wish I could always DO it!!!)
He says, basically, that rather than fight the temptation with “acts * of the opposing virtue” , just unite yourself at once to God in an act of love, such as by means of a phrase or quick prayer, and in so doing you absent yourself from the temptation, and St John of the Cross says then the devil finds nowhere to strike, because you have removed yourself, you are no longer “there”, because you’ve united yourself to God.
I guess for this to work (and IT WORKS!), you have to cultivate a close relationship with God, like you say, Eremos, so that this quick movement to God is sort of second nature.

A Te numquam separari permittas - never let me be separated from You*

This quote from Dom Augustin Guillerand might be helpful.

“This is the secret of peace, after committing a fault. What is past is past. And if we accept the consquences, while bracing our will, we can be sure that God will know how to draw glory even from our faults. Not to be downcast after committing a fault is one of the marks of true sanctity, for the saint knows how to find God in everything, in spite of human appearances.”

I do not know specifically what kind of sin we are talking about. Because you say that you “don’t feel like” you really sin. If you don’t think that you sin, then you cannot repent from it/them.

Here is one verse for you :
“Fear of the Lord is the begining of Wisdom”. Psalms 111:10

This verse means if you-- fear God-- then you know a little bit about Wisdom. This “fear of God” comes with knowing “the law and rules”. The Church teach us "which one is sin, and which one is not.

Hopefully by knowing Sin, and it’s punishment, one begin to “fear God”. Starting from this “fear”, God introduce Wisdom to man.

However, only “fearing rules and law” is not the fullness of Wisdom. Because later God comes and introduce His Mercy. But before man can understand God’s Mercy, he must know (and acknowledge) his sins, so that he can repent (or at least have a repentant heart, although not yet in actions). Repentant heart acknowledges God’s Holiness and one’s own sinfulness.

Because Apostle Paul say, one who know the Law will be jugded by the Law, but one who do not know the Law will not be jugded by the Law—> yet BOTH will NOT reach eternal life.

Romans 2:12
For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law;

Apostle Paul also say that from the Law, one knows sins (becomes sin conscious). But this is not salvation yet (Romans 3:20).

[continue]

Salvation only comes by knowing God’s Mercy.

Romans 2:15
in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts,…

“Heart-written Law” is old testament’s prophesy of the new testament (Jeremiah). It’s about FAITH in Jesus - Romans 3:27].

Search God with all your might with all your heart & soul (the first commandment) is fulfilled in you if you know God’s love. This love is introduced by many prophets but completely revealed and truely alive only in Jesus. Jesus is God who died because of His Love for man.

Jesus came spreading God’s Mercy : healing the lepers (lepers are cursed people according to the Law), giving pardons to adulterous woman, eat together with tax collectors. All of them are released from their problems and freed from the “clutch” of sin. Most of them are saved because of their own faith, and some because of their friend’s/ relative’s faith. This faith is to acknowledge Jesus as their savior. Jesus say “Youf faith has saved you” many times in the Gospel books.

Bring specific problem to God. Talk to Him as if He is your Father (And He truely is your Father). Believe that He love you and that you are “precious” in His eyes. Every tear you cry is precious for Him. And evenmore, He has died to wipe away your sins. This is how you battle sin : not by sin-conscious (this is good but don’t focus here because it does not help so much - Romans 3:20-24) but by Jesus-conscious . Acknowledge that you can win this war ONLY IF you do it TOGETHER with JESUS who has died for you, and believe His Resurrection truely.

Our coalition with God is always strong in God’s side, because He is Faithfull. The only weak point in this coalition is ourselves. Most of the time we are the one who betray Him (bible say that we are like harlots). But God who is Faithful would not leave us no matter what (surely He whip us like a father, but not for long— this is how David picture God in his psalms).

Now because we are “the weak partner”, most likely God is the one to do all the works : if we fail, God will be the one to “clean up our mess” all the time (although we take it for granted). If we are sick we cry out to Him, “as if He is evil”. But actually He is not. God does not will sickness or any other sufferings. He wants to heal us, free us from sufferings. Prophet Isaiah wrote that Jesus is stricken because of our infirmities and that He takes away our curses and deseases.

But why it’s difficult to stop bad habit? Not because God cannot wipe away sins in our life, but because WE LOOSE TRUST IN OUR PARTNERSHIP WITH HIM (and we do not believe that He has redeem us from our sins). In fact “not trusting God” is what Sin is. So to oppose your sin first of all is to acknowledge God’s faithfulness (having confidence in Him/ trust Him), acknowledge His Goodness in your life. Thank Him for your breath, your health, your family, your shoes, your clothes, your shelter, your school, your healed knee (although through doctor, God is still the healer!). Thank Him many times everywhere everytime. Ask Him to give you grace so that you can know His Love so that be free from “the clutch”, keep you away from temptations and deliver you from evil.

Sing praise and worship songs for Him, or just listen to those songs-- the ones acknowledge God’s goodness, His glory, righteousness, faithfulness.

Everytime you have problem, involve Him. Talk to Him about all of your problems. Bind your sins in Jesus Name (say it, claim it). Because in Jesus Name God has given authority to man to rule over all authorities and principalities. And this authority works throgh God’s love that WE MUST KNOW (at least acknowledge it in our life) : That He has loved us first.

Good luck and God blessl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back