Why tithe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DPMartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DPMartin

Guest
Why tithe?

What could the Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth need of you?
 
Why tithe?

What could the Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth need of you?
Hmmm…

See… I tithe, but it’s not because of what the ‘Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth’ has as a need.

But I see the NEED for me to go to Mass. Not just to receive the Eucharist, but to learn from others around me and to be fed, not only in the READINGS of the scripture, but from the celebrant contemporizing the Readings so that I can get a better understanding of how the Readings relate to my every day life.🙂

I go to Mass, and the Mass takes place in a church.

The church cannot function without lights or heat - ok, it could, but I wouldn’t want to be there. :rolleyes:

I live in the midwest. I need to know that the snow will be shoveled in the winter months. I need to know that in the summer months, the lawn will be mowed. I see the exterior of my church as part of my religious experience. I see how God is touching me in all five senses, so I want all those avenues to be opened for Him to be heard by me.

I pay tithes and contribute financially to the church because I see the other parishoners and me as family. We work together. We can’t help the less fortunate if we don’t ante up together. Not just at my parish, but within the entire Archdiocese. If possible, the world.👍

God could take care of all of our needs so easily, but as part of the family, and as a family, we need to work together, and to also we need to be a part of the family and contribute what we can.

I would never expect my parents to do for me and I never help them out in the ways that I can.

Just curious: do you tithe or otherwise contribute? Why or why not? :confused:
 
Why tithe?

What could the Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth need of you?
One is of course not obliged ordinarily to do so…but only to give according to ones means in support of the Church and other good things…such as the poor…
 
One is of course not obliged ordinarily to do so…but only to give according to ones means in support of the Church and other good things…such as the poor…
But doesn’t tithing mean, indirectly, ‘according to one’s means’? :rolleyes:

I say that because it’s only 10%… hopefully, the first ten percent… but for so many, things like concerts, movies, parties, new clothes, etc are ‘necessary’, but support for the church and the work of the church falls by the wayside when one relegates it to ‘according to one’s means’… since that would mean, ‘what you can spare’ to a lot of people.

Right? :confused:
 
Why tithe?

What could the Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth need of you?
your gratitude and your acknowledgment that all you have is as gift from him. That is what tithing does for you. You do it for yourself, not Him.
 
But doesn’t tithing mean, indirectly, ‘according to one’s means’? :rolleyes:

I say that because it’s only 10%… hopefully, the first ten percent… but for so many, things like concerts, movies, parties, new clothes, etc are ‘necessary’, but support for the church and the work of the church falls by the wayside when one relegates it to ‘according to one’s means’… since that would mean, ‘what you can spare’ to a lot of people.

Right? :confused:
Tithe really means 10%.

The Universal obligation is (though it could be added to):

The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability. (CCC 2042)

Canon Law:

Can. 222 §1. The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for divine worship, for the works of the apostolate and of charity, and for the decent support of ministers.
 
Since God gives us everything, He expects us to be good stewards of those resources. The 5th precept of the Catholic Church is to contribute to the support of our Pastors. The corporal works of mercy instruct us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, to clothe the naked, to shelter the needy, visit the sick and the imprisoned. No need to set up an arbitrary amount, therefore the Church does not dictate that specifically. Some of us have more financial resources than others, some have a lot more time than money. Make a difference in this world, especially to those who are needy in any way, physically or spiritually. We are all called to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. Giving of our time and other resources is really giving ourselves to Jesus, confirming our love for Him.
 
thanks everyone for your replies

I am sure there are many reasons men can come up with, mostly one’s own reasons, or reasons that are of the recipients thereof. But what is the reason that carries Weight, in the Kingdom of God?
 
The first tithe was a freewill offering made by Abraham of the spoils of war to Melchizadek.

The second tithe was an obligation borne by Jacob because of his unbelief. He promised to give God ten percent IF he would really keep his promise.

In sensus plenior 1000 is king and 100 is the church, being the tithe of the king.
The church belongs to God. So if you are the church, then all of you belongs to God.

So you shouldn’t tithe… you should be consecrated.
 
I am sure there are many reasons men can come up with, mostly one’s own reasons, or reasons that are of the recipients thereof. But what is the reason that carries Weight, in the Kingdom of God?
The reasons given by Paul and the Church…one is not under the Torah…

one is obliged to give …and yes we should be generous…but this is usually according to our ability …not as a tythe.
 
The reasons given by Paul and the Church…one is not under the Torah…

one is obliged to give …and yes we should be generous…but this is usually according to our ability …not as a tythe.
Why do you say ‘not as a tythe(sic)’? :confused:

I’m asking because I need to understand the point you are making.

I realize that unlike some other groups and faith communities, we don’t, from the pulpit, typically say, ‘one should tithe’, but that doesn’t mean that if Larry Brown and his family make a point of contributing the first 10% of their income makes them bad, or less Catholic.

Right?

And since the giving of the first 10% IS tithing, it’s not bad TO tithe

Right?

While The Church doesn’t say, ‘we are required to tithe’, The Church does say that we should contribute to the church and support the church - the structure, the clerical needs, the room and board of the priest, the upkeep of the grounds, the education of those coming into the church, the education of those coming into the church.

Right?

So, with all these things, the idea of a family contributing, say, 2% of their income to the needs of the church is sad… dismal. 😦

Why NOT tithe?😊
 
Why do you say ‘not as a tythe(sic)’? :confused:

In the since that one is not ordinarily ‘obliged to tithe’…so the use of this term for the what we are to give from our means…can lead some into all sorts of scruples

tythe --I think old english…sorry

I’m asking because I need to understand the point you are making.

I realize that unlike some other groups and faith communities, we don’t, from the pulpit, typically say, ‘one should tithe’, but that doesn’t mean that if Larry Brown and his family make a point of contributing the first 10% of their income makes them bad, or less Catholic.

Right? yes if such a practice is not harmful …it can be a very good one…

And since the giving of the first 10% IS tithing, it’s not bad TO tithe

Right? correct (unless it harms ones family or other obligations

While The Church doesn’t say, ‘we are required to tithe’, The Church does say that we should contribute to the church and support the church - the structure, the clerical needs, the room and board of the priest, the upkeep of the grounds, the education of those coming into the church, the education of those coming into the church.

Right? yip

So, with all these things, the idea of a family contributing, say, 2% of their income to the needs of the church is sad… dismal. 😦

Why NOT tithe? one may…but for many such would be problematic…it can be very praiseworthy and spiritually helpful…but it needs to be said that such is not obligatory…I have seen some think it was…and even those who get into office in the area of finance in Church positions --i have seen myself some make this mistake once…(which they corrected when I pointed it out to them…) also a good influx of evangelical protestant converts…can bring this concept in with too much gusto…and some families can suffer for it…

remember too…much in the time of the OT was “agracultural” (Sic) on gave from ones flock etc…if you had 10 sheep …one went as the tithe…you still had nine…
 
Just a side note: the way that you quoted me is VERY hard to reply to and follow… the way it happens by default is much easier to follow.
one may…but for many such would be problematic…it can be very praiseworthy and spiritually helpful…but it needs to be said that such is not obligatory…I have seen some think it was…and even those who get into office in the area of finance in Church positions --i have seen myself some make this mistake once…(which they corrected when I pointed it out to them…) also a good influx of evangelical protestant converts…can bring this concept in with too much gusto…and some families can suffer for it…
Ok 🙂

I disagree, but ok

I disagree because this comes to my ears just like, 'I don’t want my kids to have sex before [fill in the blank]… but if they do… :rolleyes:

Either it’s yes, or it’s no

Either you contribute to the church to help to maintain the church, or else you toss the church the side change you didn’t have a chance to hand to the vagrant outside of your shoe repair shop!

To say to people, ‘give in support of the upkeep of the church as much as possible’, and then say, ‘but for some, it’s a hardship’ reads like, 'I need to be sure to get my season tickets for the local NFL team… if there is anything left, and we have our vacation paid for, then I can put in something for the church.

Rather, it should be, ‘I am ABLE to do this much and this is where I’ll start. If I can do more, great’ 🤷
 
Just a side note: the way that you quoted me is VERY hard to reply to and follow… the way it happens by default is much easier to follow.

Ok 🙂

I disagree, but ok

I disagree because this comes to my ears just like, 'I don’t want my kids to have sex before [fill in the blank]… but if they do… :rolleyes:

Either it’s yes, or it’s no

Either you contribute to the church to help to maintain the church, or else you toss the church the side change you didn’t have a chance to hand to the vagrant outside of your shoe repair shop!

To say to people, ‘give in support of the upkeep of the church as much as possible’, and then say, ‘but for some, it’s a hardship’ reads like, 'I need to be sure to get my season tickets for the local NFL team… if there is anything left, and we have our vacation paid for, then I can put in something for the church.

Rather, it should be, ‘I am ABLE to do this much and this is where I’ll start. If I can do more, great’ 🤷
The Catholic Church does not require one to Tithe. Jewish Christians were freed from such by Christ (as Paul points out…they are not under the Torah) and Gentile Christians never were under the Torah.

WE ARE all of us REQUIRED to contribute to the Church…“according to our ability”…(this does not mean tithe.)

( I never said one should not or is not required to give…one is)

ONE MUST contribute …(unless of course one can not…like one is in prison etc…then one can only pray etc)

What I said was that while tithing can be a very good thing…one is not obliged to do so…and for some …such can be a real hardship on their family etc. So they would not be recommended to do so…( I was always talking about the idea of Tithing here…never about giving according to Church teaching/discipline…one must do that…but I do suppose it could be possible for a family not to even not be able to do much of that…some are really in a bad place…no job…have to beg for food etc…impossibility excuses …thought they can still give a little if they have it…but above I was talking about tithing)

But yes one may tithe. It is good to do.

YES one MUST give according to ones ability…

And we need to be “generous” in our Christian giving.

There is nothing to disagree with here. 🙂
 
Genesis 14:18-20-Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine, and being a priest of God Most High, he blessed Abram with these words-

“Blessed be Abram by God Most High, the creator of heaven and earth, and blessed be God Most High, who delivered your foes into your hand”
Then Abram gave a tenth of everything.

Who is Melchizedek? According to the geneologies and time lines in the Bible he could have been Shem- Noah’s son

In my limited view could it have been Jesus to foreshadow the Eucharist.
 
The first tithe was a freewill offering made by Abraham of the spoils of war to Melchizadek.

The second tithe was an obligation borne by Jacob because of his unbelief. He promised to give God ten percent IF he would really keep his promise.

In sensus plenior 1000 is king and 100 is the church, being the tithe of the king.
The church belongs to God. So if you are the church, then all of you belongs to God.

So you shouldn’t tithe… you should be consecrated.
rcjones

thanks for the reply

That’s a good point in your ref to Abraham, and Jacob. I would suggest that it goes farther back then that. When God placed the Man in the Garden, God gave the Man the job of tending the Garden. Also Cain and Abel also made offerings in accordance to the work they did. But God had respect for one’s offering, and not the other’s, and yet both desired to be accepted.

BookCat

thanks for the reply

I believe it boils down to God has respect for His Work in the Name of the Lord. We now know that the Name given is Jesus Christ. To tithe I believe is to respect God’s Work in the Name of Jesus Christ with what ever work we are privileged to have. And if one does not show this respect, before the Lord. Then why should the Lord our God have any respect toward, or give blessing to the work we are privileged to have that He has provided.
 
rcjones

BookCat

thanks for the reply

I believe it boils down to God has respect for His Work in the Name of the Lord. We now know that the Name given is Jesus Christ. To tithe I believe is to respect God’s Work in the Name of Jesus Christ with what ever work we are privileged to have. And if one does not show this respect, before the Lord. Then why should the Lord our God have any respect toward, or give blessing to the work we are privileged to have that He has provided.
Tithe is not Binding on Christians… As expained above. One may of course still do so…it can good…but one is of course to support the Church (details above)…

Not to tithe does not in any way disrespect God etc…

God does not require a Tithe from us…nor lambs being sacrificed…nor circumcision etc

We are now “in Christ” …we are Christians…

But yes give according to ones ability…and be generious

and of course “God loves a cheerful giver”
 
Tithe is not Binding on Christians… As expained above. One may of course still do so…it can good…but one is of course to support the Church
Why do so many react as if ‘tithe’ is a dirty word? :confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top