M
mgoforth
Guest
Our fourth child (a girl) is due in mid December. The oldest was nearly 6 months old before she was baptized, and we’ve baptized sooner with each child - about 3 months with the second and 6 weeks with the third. It seems to be normal (at least with other families in my parish) to wait at least a month after birth to baptize a new baby. Is there any reason to wait so long?
With this child I just keep thinking how horrible it would be if anything happened and she died unbaptized. The only reason I can see that people postpone it is to give family and friends a chance to make plans, travel, buy presents, etc… Is any of that really worth the risk to her immortal soul? I’ve been thinking…why not just ask the priest or deacon to come to the hospital and baptize our daughter as soon as she’s born? Or why not baptize her ourselves immediately?
If we did this, could we still have a ceremony later for family and friends to attend?
With this child I just keep thinking how horrible it would be if anything happened and she died unbaptized. The only reason I can see that people postpone it is to give family and friends a chance to make plans, travel, buy presents, etc… Is any of that really worth the risk to her immortal soul? I’ve been thinking…why not just ask the priest or deacon to come to the hospital and baptize our daughter as soon as she’s born? Or why not baptize her ourselves immediately?
If we did this, could we still have a ceremony later for family and friends to attend?