W
water
Guest
Jesus is God and Mary was an earthly woman. Why was He obedient to Her? What does He want to tell us?
This also tells us that Jesus follows the laws like anyone of us - his obedience.Well, for starters, Jesus lived His earthly life under the Law of Moses, which required Him to honor His father and mother.
In Jesus’ case, the two options are not exclusive. Luke’s Gospel is clear that Jesus, as a child, obeyed his parents. It could be no other way. Disobedience to parents violates the Fourth Commandment.He was obedient to her, to a point, but his purpose was not to be a model son, it was to be the Savior of mankind.
I don’t understand are you saying that adults don’t have to obey their parents?In Jesus’ case, the two options are not exclusive. Luke’s Gospel is clear that Jesus, as a child, obeyed his parents. It could be no other way. Disobedience to parents violates the Fourth Commandment.
But, as an adult, no adult owes their parents obedience.
– Mark L. Chance.
“Obedience toward parents ceases with emancipation of the children; not so respect, which is always owed to them.” CCC 2217. A person need not obey their parents once they are emancipated. However, a person must continue to honor their parents regardless of age. For instance, God does not require me (a 41 year old man) to obey my parents, but God does require me to honor them — to love and respect them — regardless of my age or status.I don’t understand are you saying that adults don’t have to obey their parents?
I find that hard to follow.
It’s actually rather simple. I, for example, am a 39-year-old married father of two. While I dearly love my mother and respect her for the sacrifices she made while I was growing, she is quite literally no longer the boss of me. If things were otherwise, I might not have married my wife, and I certainly wouldn’t have had my children baptized or been received into the Catholic Church.I don’t understand are you saying that adults don’t have to obey their parents?
I find that hard to follow.
I don’t believe he spoke sharply “to her” , he simply gave a rather sharp response when told his mother and sisters wanted him to come home.Being obedient to parents is part of honoring them, which is of course, the 4th commandment.
There is more to honor, though, and Catholics recognize that in His Perfections, Christ showered His mother with all the honor His Divinity could.
That is why she was assumed into Heaven, and why she was preserved from sin from the first moment of her conception, to point to His glory.
Additionally, to suggest He spoke sharply to her rejects His Perfections because it means he violated the laws of His Father. Clearly there is something else going on here.