M
marci
Guest
I was born post Vatican II, so I never experienced the church prior to NO masses, or eucharistic ministers, or anything else that changed after VII. I come from a very traditional family that basically feel nothing good came out of the changes.
My question is: What was wrong in the church at that time that the pope and council decided changes needed to be made? I know that many lay catholics have feeling about why things should or should not have changed, but I am more interested in what the thinking of the Holy Father (i believe John the VI–could be mistaken, sorry) and the Council members was. I have often read of a reference to “opening a window and allowing fresh air into the church” Why this thinking? Why was fresh air needed?
I don’t want this to be an argument about the rightness or wrongness of Vatican II. I know both sides on that issue. i would like to know the intention or thinking of those directly involved prior to the calling together of the Council.
Thanks
My question is: What was wrong in the church at that time that the pope and council decided changes needed to be made? I know that many lay catholics have feeling about why things should or should not have changed, but I am more interested in what the thinking of the Holy Father (i believe John the VI–could be mistaken, sorry) and the Council members was. I have often read of a reference to “opening a window and allowing fresh air into the church” Why this thinking? Why was fresh air needed?
I don’t want this to be an argument about the rightness or wrongness of Vatican II. I know both sides on that issue. i would like to know the intention or thinking of those directly involved prior to the calling together of the Council.
Thanks