Why we love our pets

  • Thread starter Thread starter goodcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goodcatholic

Guest
Because they don’t talk back. They don’t argue. They don’t see our weak points. They don’t gossip about us. They accept us warts and all. They accept their lower status. They accept us as master. They greet us when we get home and are genuinely glad to see us.
My current amazing theory is that it is easier for us to love someone of lower status who cant hurt us. The ones who we bow down to, can hurt us so we find it harder to love them. The ones who challenge our comfort level, or who show little respect for us are harder to love.
The lesson is don’t fall in love with someone you put on a pedestal. Of course you can respect them, but be wary of making them your God or Goddess. Same with friends and family. have no one on pedestals.
 
Last edited:
is that why men tend to marry down? and i don’t know about you but my cat definitely does not accept me no matter what. she only loves me for the food/water/kitty litter
 
Last edited:
Oh I had my wife on a pedestal, don’t worry. And by doing so, nearly lost her. Thankfully she came around and saw what a great deal she was getting by accepting my proposal.
 
I have the opposite problem. I tend to care too little and then find a reason to stop seeing them before I develop feelings
 
Marry down? Are you serious? I married way over my head. My wife is saintly.
 
It means marrying someone below your social class. I’m glad you married “up” but in a way it’s like saying your wife married “down” so I’d caution against telling her that
 
I forgot to add that the disturbing trend in society to treat our pets as our children is a concern. Having less kids and more pets. My brother has no kids but 4 dogs! I couldn’t afford that.
Home is becoming our fortress where we don’t have to compromise. We can be masters in our own home, by avoiding the option of having “challenging” children.
 
My wife and I are both from the same class. Upwardly mobile working class/middle class. Similar values. Her strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa. We stay married because we have the same values.
 
in my experience I’ve seen more men marry down and women marry up than vice versa. Probably because the husband needs to make more $$$ to take care of kids when the wife is preggers
 
in my experience I’ve seen more men marry down and women marry up than vice versa.
I’ve never really seen marriage as going up or down. It seems such a negative frame to use.
This thread I am probably more interested in the context of “friends”. Do we choose friends that dont challenge us? Are we happy being a follower and leader in a relationship?
 
Sorry, I don’t think it’s that negative. I’ve just noticed women go after men with better jobs than them
 
I’d like to think my wife and I have moved beyond that. We are pretty equal now and can interchange leadership and follower roles. I admit there is some motivation of marrying up or down at the start, though not consciously expressed. Romantic love tends to blind you. Pragmatism is the last reason one gets married. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Because look at this face.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Perceived unconditional love. I ❤️ my dog. She is definitely on a pedestal. Lol.
 
Last edited:
In the long run, we put the most humble creatures on a pedestal. But usually after they have died.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top