Why "Yahweh" and not Zeus?

• Thread starter Thread starter FatherMerrin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, being familiar with Middle Eastern Christianity, just the Arabic word for God.
Many Native Americans’ conception of the Great Spirit was also very similar to the Christian God
Yep, I was at a Pow-wow with a friend of mine (girlfriend at the time), and she is mostly of Spanish and Portuguese descent (lapsed Catholic…), and being quite familiar with American Indian and Alaska Native traditions, I didn’t feel the need to ask this question, but she asked one of the Indian women there what they believe, and she goes “Jesus”. Turns out, most American Indians are some sort of Christian. Cherokees are largely Methodists and Baptists, Navajos are largely Catholic, Lakota are largely Lutheran and Catholic. To evangelise a culture, it’s always best to find common ground. I’d advise our friend here to look into the Chinese rites controversy.
Sorry if that was off topic, just an interesting experience.

48.png
FatherMerrin:
Please bear in mind the link below contains dialogue that would be considered extremely offensive,
Why so offended? I was expecting a bunch of bad language or a disrespectful exchange. It was just two people debating their beliefs. That is a healthy thing
Yeah… maybe I missed it, but I didn’t hear any offensive language, either.

What I did hear, though, was a re-hash of a tired old atheist soundbite – “I don’t believe in all the gods you don’t believe in and just one more, besides” – and I saw polemics in play which give rise to weak writing. After all, the believer raised issues, but had no ability to counter. (Worse yet, she pooh-pooh’ed the Big Bang. Heck… that was a theory first developed by a Catholic priest!)

(And what was with that whole “Yahweh?” / “No, what about just ‘God’?” business? Was Gervais trying to depict that character as if she were a strict deist, and not a believer in the Jewish / Christian God?)

So, basically, that scene was an exercise in self-congratulation and stroking one’s ego: “look at me! I’m a ‘Bright’! Others are big dummies!”. * sigh *
In my opinion, as an atheist, all gods are equally likely to exist in so far as those believing in them do not make testable claims.
I’m not quite convinced that you’re being as logical as you think you are.

If I asked you about the assertion “Hannibal crossed the Alps on elephants”, would that be a testable claim? And if so, what would you be able to use to test the claim?

I’d assert that the answers are “yes” and “reports from contemporary sources”. And, in fact, those are exactly what we have at our disposal to demonstrate that Jesus is who we say he is.

And, of course, if you say “no”, then you’ve just spiraled down into the illogic that denies most of history, simply because there wasn’t anyone taking selfies of those events.
I would say that the God of young-earth creationists certainly does not exist
Hang on a second, though: you’re not talking about a belief in God, as such, but about beliefs in actions. The two are not the same, right?

So, really, you’re conflating “belief in God” with “beliefs in certain doctrines”, no?

Last edited:
Nahuatl speakers used Teotl for various Aztec deities, and it’s also used for the One True God of Catholicism. Still, the concept of Teotl in Aztec paganism is not the same as in Catholicism. In a similar way, Arab Christians can use Allah for God Almighty without implying He is the same being as Muslim Allah.

God is unique compared to other putative gods.

God is non competitive: God is not in battle with anyone else or anything else for supremacy. God simply is. This is expressed beautifully in the burning bush; the presence of God manifested in the bush, which is ablaze with the presence of God, yet is not consumed. The powerful presence of God does not consume it’s creation.

Only God is true and complete love. God so completely identifies with his creation that God becomes one with the creature’s condition. In God’s love we see self sacrifice to the point of being gravely injured unto death. No other god accomplishes the well being of creatures with such an unselfish act. And all done through non-violence on God’s part.

God is non competitive: God is not in battle with anyone else or anything else for supremacy. God simply is.
But that statement kind of contradicts the very first Commandment (i.e. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me”), doesn’t it? If God was truly non-competitive, why would He go out of His way to expressly ban the worship of other gods?

God is non competitive: God is not in battle with anyone else or anything else for supremacy. God simply is.
How is that contradictory to the non competitive God? The first commandment point blank tells you: don’t try to put anything else before me, because it’s folly, and a pointless effort.

God doesn’t give us this commandment because he feels threatened and needs to compete.

Last edited:
If God was truly non-competitive, why would He go out of His way to expressly ban the worship of other gods?
Because people were worshipping (fake) gods back then. This was God’s way of saying “hey – cut out that silliness, eh?”

48.png
Gorgias:
Because people were worshipping (fake) gods back then
Especially when you realize those gods are actually demons.
Not necessarily. If I take a pine cone off the pine tree in my front yard, set it up on the mantle, and then offer sacrifice to it… it’s not a demon. It’s actually nothing. (Well… it’s a pine cone.)

The vice here is treating the creature with the dignity due the creator. (We still do that in modern times; it’s just that the local football team has replaced the hallowed pine cone.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back