Wicked, the Musical

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeff417
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff417

Guest
My wife loves the music to Wicked, the Musical but is apprehensive about going to the show. She is sensitive about the subject matter being occultish (forbids Harry Potter). Is there anything to be concerned about in this musical for the sensitive Catholic?
 
In the song No Good Deed, Elphaba is casting a spell (the “Eleka nahmen nahmen”). There is more of that in the rest of the musical.
 
I love Wicked but I don’t have issues with things like Harry Potter either. It is fantasy and I don’t believe it’s a problem for a person with strong faith. How does your wife feel about the Wizard of Oz (that’s what it’s sort of based on)? I don’t know… if she is anti-Harry Potter, etc. it might not be for her…
 
Yeah, if she has a problem with the Wizard of Oz, then it isn’t the musical for her.

But my husband LOVES that show, and he’s not a real big musical fan.
 
She has no problem with Wizard of OZ. As a matter of fact, our daughters performed in a musical production of WoZ last year and that is where we first heard of Wicked. It is more the spell casting element (a la Harry Potter) that she finds problematic.
 
It is as boring as watching paint dry. I feel asleep seeing it.

Go see Lion King, instead 🙂
 
She has no problem with Wizard of OZ. As a matter of fact, our daughters performed in a musical production of WoZ last year and that is where we first heard of Wicked. It is more the spell casting element (a la Harry Potter) that she finds problematic.
If she doesn’t find the idea of the magic offensive and she likes Wizard of Oz, she should like the show. Besides the good music, I love how Wicked weaves the “truths” that we’ve learned from the Wizard of Oz right along side this new view of what actually happened. Something as simple as learning why the monkeys fly made me really enjoy Wicked. It probably is my favorite musical but then again, I’m not bothered at all by storytelling spells and magic (after all, one of my favorite books is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe")

Kris
 
I’d see this one again and again too! I just love musicals in general 🙂
Me, too, if done well. Cats was good, too–but my jaw actually dropped at Lion King.

I don’t want to ruin it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but there was a certain “tall” scene that was :eek: 👍
 
Me, too, if done well. Cats was good, too–but my jaw actually dropped at Lion King.

I don’t want to ruin it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but there was a certain “tall” scene that was :eek: 👍
Loved the Lion King, but I never ever want to sit through Cats again. Ugh.
 
Loved the Lion King, but I never ever want to sit through Cats again. Ugh.
We can go to musicals together 🙂 then because I thought Cats was, well 🤷. Call it a concert with a few good songs but not a musical. You at least have to pretend there’s a better plot than a poem!

Kris
 
PS Jeff - do NOT have your wife read the book. I found it absolutely icky. Obviously some like the “adult themes” but not me. I only finished it to make sure everyone died! I really admire the person who took that book and made it into that musical.
 
We can go to musicals together 🙂 then because I thought Cats was, well 🤷. Call it a concert with a few good songs but not a musical. You at least have to pretend there’s a better plot than a poem!

Kris
LOL…that’s it exactly.😃

OK, Les Mis, then 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top