Wicked the musical

  • Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angell1

Guest
has anyone seen it?

it’s in my city and I’m thinking of going.

what did you think? I know there are debates about making a traditionally villainous character seem misunderstood. I already know the storyline so you won’t be ruining anything
 
I saw it and can assure you that it is wonderful!!! I would kill for a chance to go back!
 
It’s a wonderful musical. The audience has to pay attention and do some thinking because the plot is quite complex compared to many of the traditional musicals which are basically boy meets girl, boy almost loses girl, boy secures girl and they live happily ever after. (Or nowadays, boy meets boy, etc. :rolleyes:). There are a lot of twists and turns in the plot, and I really liked this!

Please keep in mind that the Oz stories are fiction, and Elphaba is a fictional character. It’s OK to create stories about her background and upbringing. It’s OK for us to learn that she started out nice, and that there are reasons why she turned “wicked.” YOU can make up a story about her–that’s OK!

It’s not the same as if the writer of Wicked tried to make Hitler or Jeffrey Dahmer or any real-life villain into a nice person. Eugh.
 
It’s also OK to reject those stories, which is what I choose to do.

Besides, I really didn’t care for the excerpts I have heard.
 
I love this show - probably my favorite musical! Besides the amazing music, what impresses me so much is how nothing in this parallel story to Wizard of Oz contradicts any of the plot you already know. I see it every time it comes to my city and am hoping it makes it to our outdoor theater sometime soon - that would be spectacular.

On the other hand, I read the actual novel it’s based upon and that was awful. The person who took that book and wrote this musical is truly talented.

Kris
 
IT’S FANTASTIC! So smart, clever, uplifting, funny, dramatic…and a great message for kids about enduring friendships and not judging a book by its cover because people are not always what they seem on the outside.
You must see it!!! And take any kids you can grab!

What debates? I haven’t heard of any debates about the character.
I only read how people love the turn-around and background, “prequel” story.

Are some people unhappy about it?

.
Yes, I have several Christian friends, Catholic and Protestant, who hated it. They simply can’t get past the “wicked” or the idea of “witchcraft.” To them, it’s all wrong, and some even think it’s a subterfuge to get people comfortable with the occult and witchcraft (like Will and Grace helped people feel comfortable with homosexuality)

That’s OK. I absolutely HATE Les Miserables, which is considered “the most beloved musical in the world.” Not loved by me! I would sooner have a tooth filled than sit through Les Miz!

IMO, there is one “flaw” in Wicked. Every song in the musical is a huge production number. Not one song is quiet and reflective. “Because I Knew You” comes close, but if I remember correctly, it starts quietly and gets bigger and BIGGER! I think every musical should have at least one “ballad” that is one voice and minimal accompaniment, with no dance, no special effects, and no belting. Just a quiet song.

E.g., in Gypsy, the “quiet song” is “Little Lamb.” Louise sings it in her bedroom while holding her stuffed animals. No production, no choreography, no flashing lights–just a quiet voice and a few stuffed animals. Very powerful song.

Another example is “Goodnight My Someone” from Music Man. I LOVE that song–so pretty and quiet. It’s a respite from all the huge production numbers in the musical.

One more: “Ribbons Down My Back” from Hello Dolly. That musical is chock-full of huge production numbers with marching bands and dancing waiters and comedy. But “Ribbons Down My Back” happens in the hat store, and Irene sings it to Minnie–so simple and pretty.

But that’s just my opinion, and I still like Wicked, in spite of all the “production numbers.”
 
I absolutely HATE Les Miserables, which is considered “the most beloved musical in the world.” Not loved by me! I would sooner have a tooth filled than sit through Les Miz!
Cat - When I read your posts, I sometimes feel as if I’m meeting my internet twin. I despise Les Miz and most people thought I was crazy when that was the one show of The Muny (I know you know enough about the STL to know what I’m referring to) season that I traded out! Your posts usually make me smile and say “yep”!

Kris
 
The one with the one and only Adele Dazeem?

Haha, just kidding. I’ve had a crush on Idina since the Rent days.
 
aww, too bad, I love les mis.

anyways, I bouoght my tickets fo wicked. looking forward to it
 
what did you think? I know there are debates about making a traditionally villainous character seem misunderstood. I already know the storyline so you won’t be ruining anything
It’s actually a good way to keep any genre fresh instead of rotting from its own cliches. Think about it, it’d get really boring if there really was just one way to do a particular type of character.

By the way, I say this not as someone who has even watched Wicked but simply somebody who knows how boring knight-and-princess/saint-and-martyr endings can be in the realm of fantasy.
 
Cat - When I read your posts, I sometimes feel as if I’m meeting my internet twin. I despise Les Miz and most people thought I was crazy when that was the one show of The Muny (I know you know enough about the STL to know what I’m referring to) season that I traded out! Your posts usually make me smile and say “yep”!

Kris
Cool!

Yes, my daughter goes to the shows at the Muny! Lucky St. Louis for having this place.
 
Oh.That’s too bad.
They feel this way about the film The Wizard of Oz, too, then?
And…Peter Pan? And…Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella? And I guess, most fairytale type stories that have magic or evil witches or anything that would be seen as not normal or para-normal (“occult”)? I guess most of the classic Walt Disney stuff?
Yes. I’ve met plenty of Christians who have nothing–and I mean NOTHING–to do with any hint of the occult, and who consider these innocent stories a “doorway to involvement with the occult.”

One of my best friends down in North Carolina had good reason to feel this way–she grew up in a home where her mother was a practicing witch, and various occult practices and group meetings/masses were regular occurrences in their home. Even after she became a Christian, she was confronted with frightening manifestations in her home (she remained in her childhood home after her parents died–it was a gorgeous home because her daddy was a contractor and designed/built it himself).

So I think that some Christians have backgrounds that cause them to be wary or to avoid entirely any hint of occult, and I don’t think we should criticize Christians who avoid even the innocent-seeming fairy tales. For them, these stories might not be so innocent.
There are! When she sings about loving the prince–“I’m Not That Girl”–it’s a very sad, quiet, yearning ballad. And I think the love duet between Elpheba and the prince is also a sweet, simple ballad.
True. But to me, they still have the feeling of “big” numbers.

.
 
The story is fun and nice. The music… well, for me personally, it’s awful. Not crazy about the orchestration, the singing for much of it and the music in general. I’ve tried liking it because my best friend is ga-ga over this musical and has probably seen it about 10 times, but I just can’t bear it and sit through it. I will say that the text in some of the songs are nice and when I’ve had to perform a couple of the songs for a memorial service (not Catholic) I was able to focus on the words rather than the music.

That said, I’m more of a lover of classic musicals from the by-gone age. I just prefer the composition style and the level and style of singing needed for those musicals compared to what I hear in more “newer” ones. Not that many of the singers aren’t talented. They definitely are, especially the ones I personally know or have read about.

It’s definitely more of a preference thing for me, as my best friend is also a classically trained musician, but can’t get enough of it. I’m a classically trained musician and one time was enough. lol!

I say to just go and see it and then make an opinion for yourself.
 
I’ve seen it three times and would go today if it was playing in my city!!! (I also LOVE Les Mis :D)
 
I think you will really enjoy this musical. I LOVE “Wicked” and have seen it twice- and would go again tonight if it was here!! Funny story- my daughter and her husband saw it in New Orleans. Before the end, however, there was a fire down the street, and all electricity went out in the theater. Needless to say, the play couldn’t end- so the two main characters came out on stage and sang some of the more popular songs, accompanied only by a piano. My daughter ultimately attended the play again when she was doing an internship- but her husband hasn’t ever seen the end of the play. They weren’t unhappy as the experience was so unique! I hope you enjoy the play!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top