Wife's menstural cycle,NFP, and softcup

  • Thread starter Thread starter A.Pelliccio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A.Pelliccio

Guest
So my wife and I were recently wed (Jul 8) and are currently practicing NFP because she is in her second year of med school (boards, et all very hectic) and I have yet to find a full time job since seperating from the army 😦 . We are trying to extend her safe days and I recently discovered a product called soft cup softcup.com/faqs

It seems to be an alternative to a tampon or pad but a selling point is less messy sex. In it’s FAQ - see above- it says that it is NOT a contraceptive, but I just want to bounce this off the faithful and see if they can confirm that it would be consistent with Catholic teaching.

Thanks

Anthony
 
So my wife and I were recently wed (Jul 8) and are currently practicing NFP because she is in her second year of med school (boards, et all very hectic) and I have yet to find a full time job since seperating from the army 😦 . We are trying to extend her safe days and I recently discovered a product called soft cup softcup.com/faqs

It seems to be an alternative to a tampon or pad but a selling point is less messy sex. In it’s FAQ - see above- it says that it is NOT a contraceptive, but I just want to bounce this off the faithful and see if they can confirm that it would be consistent with Catholic teaching.

Thanks

Anthony
It sounds like a version of a DivaCup or MoonCup, which is basically a “reusable silicone tampon” that can also be used instead of a pantiliner after intercourse. The ad specifically identifies that it’s not for contraception or preventing any STDs, so I don’t think there would be a problem with it. I was curious as to why it could be used during intercourse (since that’s almost impossible with a Diva or Moon cup), but apparently some couples want to use it if they are intimate during a menstrual cycle so things are so “messy”…
 
So my wife and I were recently wed (Jul 8) and are currently practicing NFP because she is in her second year of med school (boards, et all very hectic) and I have yet to find a full time job since seperating from the army 😦 . We are trying to extend her safe days and I recently discovered a product called soft cup softcup.com/faqs

It seems to be an alternative to a tampon or pad but a selling point is less messy sex. In it’s FAQ - see above- it says that it is NOT a contraceptive, but I just want to bounce this off the faithful and see if they can confirm that it would be consistent with Catholic teaching.

Thanks

Anthony
It covers the cervix which makes me think it must make it harder for sperm to get in which would in affect be a contraceptive affect. However they seem pretty adamant that it is not a contraceptive so my guess is that it although it covers the opening, it doesn’t do much to prevent sperm from reaching their destination. There is also the question on the FAQ about it possibly be used as a pregnancy booster, which seems odd. The question you should ask that would cover what you need to know is whether it would be allowable to use this device if by chance it made the chance of pregnancy somewhere even as low as 5-10% less likely. In my own mind I would think that as long as it had a pretty minimal affect at preventing sperm from getting to the cervix opening, it would be acceptable considering that is no way the reason you are using it. Hopefully someone more qualified to answer this question will reply. You could always try contacting the Pope Paul VI Institute in Nebraska that is a good source for handling tough question like this one.
 
I guess I might have misread the OP…is she wanting this to use as "“feminine hygiene” instead of a tampon? If that’s the case, I don’t see how it could possibly be an issue. As I stated earlier, it’s basically a “reusable silicone tampon”. I agree that the Pope Paul VI Institute might have a better answer if the plan was to have it in place during intercourse, during her period. If it was removed prior to and then after, it would be no different than a tampon or pad.
 
I guess I might have misread the OP…is she wanting this to use as "“feminine hygiene” instead of a tampon? If that’s the case, I don’t see how it could possibly be an issue. As I stated earlier, it’s basically a “reusable silicone tampon”. I agree that the Pope Paul VI Institute might have a better answer if the plan was to have it in place during intercourse, during her period. If it was removed prior to and then after, it would be no different than a tampon or pad.
I think the idea is to use it while having intercourse so that the days during the wife’s menstural period would be “available” for sex when using NFP to avoid.
40.png
nate13:
It covers the cervix which makes me think it must make it harder for sperm to get in which would in affect be a contraceptive affect.
I don’t see a problem even if it might impede some sperm. It isn’t being used as a contraceptive. It wouldn’t have more “contraceptive effect” than having sex while wearing a tampon (TMI, I know, but it’s possible). There are many things we do that make contraception more or less likely, from what we eat to what we wear. That doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with them.
 
It covers the cervix which makes me think it must make it harder for sperm to get in which would in affect be a contraceptive affect. However they seem pretty adamant that it is not a contraceptive so my guess is that it although it covers the opening, it doesn’t do much to prevent sperm from reaching their destination. There is also the question on the FAQ about it possibly be used as a pregnancy booster, which seems odd. The question you should ask that would cover what you need to know is whether it would be allowable to use this device if by chance it made the chance of pregnancy somewhere even as low as 5-10% less likely. In my own mind I would think that as long as it had a pretty minimal affect at preventing sperm from getting to the cervix opening, it would be acceptable considering that is no way the reason you are using it. Hopefully someone more qualified to answer this question will reply. You could always try contacting the Pope Paul VI Institute in Nebraska that is a good source for handling tough question like this one.
I would ask PPVI like the previous poster mentioned. It sounds like it could minimize the chances of getting pregnant since it does such a good job of blocking the menses from coming out, I am guessing it blocks the sperm from going in, but when you remove the cup to empty it, if the conditions are good, there could still be sperm in the area and could come in, plus its not a perfect seal. So the company is probably adamant about it not being contraceptive so people don’t go and try to use it as contraception and then blame them if they get pregnant, even though it may have very significant contraceptive effects… but then again maybe it doesn’t do all of this… which is why I like the pp suggestion of contacting PPVI. You could also contact the company itself and find out if it does affect the chances of getting pregnant if the cup is in place during sex. Also, my guess is that the question about using it to get pregnant is not to have in place during intercourse, but to put it in afterwards.
 
Side note, I think it’s awful that we’ve become such a sexual society that we have to invent ways to have sex during women’s periods. It is not the most comfortable time.

Is your wife actually interested in this or are you researching this on your own?

You know the answer though. If you’re using anything with the intent of avoiding conception, you’re sinning. And unlike the pill, there are no health reasons why your wife can’t use pads or tampons.
 
No, the intent of the object would to make the sex less messy, not for contraceptive. I did mention that we are practicing NFP and just wanted to clear this for use. @ dymphna, I am not inventing anything. Couples have sex during phase one, and many women prefer it.
 
Side note, I think it’s awful that we’ve become such a sexual society that we have to invent ways to have sex during women’s periods. It is not the most comfortable time.

Is your wife actually interested in this or are you researching this on your own?

You know the answer though. If you’re using anything with the intent of avoiding conception, you’re sinning. And unlike the pill, there are no health reasons why your wife can’t use pads or tampons.
Some couples who practice NFP have very few days when they can have intercourse. If they can get a few more days during the women’s menstrual cycle then good for them if thats what they want to do. Plus it can help with menstrual cramps.
 
I would ask PPVI like the previous poster mentioned. It sounds like it could minimize the chances of getting pregnant since it does such a good job of blocking the menses from coming out, I am guessing it blocks the sperm from going in, but when you remove the cup to empty it, if the conditions are good, there could still be sperm in the area and could come in, plus its not a perfect seal. So the company is probably adamant about it not being contraceptive so people don’t go and try to use it as contraception and then blame them if they get pregnant, even though it may have very significant contraceptive effects… but then again maybe it doesn’t do all of this… which is why I like the pp suggestion of contacting PPVI. You could also contact the company itself and find out if it does affect the chances of getting pregnant if the cup is in place during sex. Also, my guess is that the question about using it to get pregnant is not to have in place during intercourse, but to put it in afterwards.
I agree with Lifeisbeautiful. I will add that I think this could lead to the use of a diaphragm later on. sometimes the path to serious sin is paved with good intections and or venial sins. I’m not saying this is a venial sin. talk to a priest. also it can’t take cramps away so whats the point. the problem with it is it would work as a diaphragm (that also catches blood). its not contraceptive its for catching blood but it could work as one (little to no sperm would get in). its a menstrual flow catching diaphragm.
 
I agree with Lifeisbeautiful. I will add that I think this could lead to the use of a diaphragm later on. sometimes the path to serious sin is paved with good intections and or venial sins. I’m not saying this is a venial sin. talk to a priest. also it can’t take cramps away so whats the point. the problem with it is it would work as a diaphragm (that also catches blood). its not contraceptive its for catching blood but it could work as one (little to no sperm would get in). its a menstrual flow catching diaphragm.
This product does not work “as a diaphragm”, nor is it intended to be used as contraception. It is made of different materials which aren’t likely to block sperm either.

If the OP was going to use it as a contraceptive, he and his wife would just use something more effective. They would be using this as it is intended- a device to capture menstrual flow, not to block sperm.
 
I have, perhaps, such a misunderstanding of this whole topic. I was strongly under the presumption that intercourse during the menstral flow was forbidden, especially after now just rereading Leviticus 15. It seems pretty clear to me that this is not permitted. Please explain? :confused:
 
I have, perhaps, such a misunderstanding of this whole topic. I was strongly under the presumption that intercourse during the menstral flow was forbidden, especially after now just rereading Leviticus 15. It seems pretty clear to me that this is not permitted. Please explain? :confused:
No, it is not forbidden.
 
I agree with Lifeisbeautiful. I will add that I think this could lead to the use of a diaphragm later on. sometimes the path to serious sin is paved with good intections and or venial sins. I’m not saying this is a venial sin. talk to a priest. also it can’t take cramps away so whats the point. the problem with it is it would work as a diaphragm (that also catches blood). its not contraceptive its for catching blood but it could work as one (little to no sperm would get in). its a menstrual flow catching diaphragm.
Because anything that doesn’t work on cramps is worthless? Pads also don’t take cramps away, nor do tampons.

How would this lead to use of a diaphragm? 🤷 Yes, you may want to make sure it doesn’t reduce the chance of pregnancy but I don’t get that using a menstrual cup would “lead” to use of a diaphragm.
 
This product does not work “as a diaphragm”, nor is it intended to be used as contraception. It is made of different materials which aren’t likely to block sperm either.

If the OP was going to use it as a contraceptive, he and his wife would just use something more effective. They would be using this as it is intended- a device to capture menstrual flow, not to block sperm.
how would it “capture menstrul flow” and yet not block sperm (does it have a door that only lets sperm in?). it may not be made to be a diaphragm but it has a similar effect.
 
Because anything that doesn’t work on cramps is worthless? Pads also don’t take cramps away, nor do tampons.

How would this lead to use of a diaphragm? 🤷 Yes, you may want to make sure it doesn’t reduce the chance of pregnancy but I don’t get that using a menstrual cup would “lead” to use of a diaphragm.
you put it in a similar way and it may give a women thoughts of using a diaphragm. they are both similar. and you could use it for only the first few days, but like the effect (mess free) and keep using longer and longer. no question that it reduces/ blocks sperm entering into the uterus. I just learned about this “softcup” today. these are the thoughts that came to mind. well the softcup isn’t 100% effecive for preventing pregnancy but nothing is except total abstinence. you can get pregnant on your period so whats its % of preventing pregnancy using the soft cup? it would be altering the act. it is a barrier. yes it can leak but is that the point? yeah and condoms break too.
 
The FAQ section repeats various times that it is not a contraception.

The intent of the softcup is feminine hygiene protection. I would guess it would be fine to use during relations.

Maybe contact the National Catholic Bioethic center for their take on it?

ncbcenter.org/page.aspx?pid=404
 
you put it in a similar way and it may give a women thoughts of using a diaphragm. they are both similar. and you could use it for only the first few days, but like the effect (mess free) and keep using longer and longer. no question that it reduces/ blocks sperm entering into the uterus. I just learned about this “softcup” today. these are the thoughts that came to mind. well the softcup isn’t 100% effecive for preventing pregnancy but nothing is except total abstinence. you can get pregnant on your period so whats its % of preventing pregnancy using the soft cup? it would be altering the act. it is a barrier. yes it can leak but is that the point? yeah and condoms break too.
So what if they’re similar? You are making many assumptions. I use a lunette cup and like the idea of a softer cup that would allow us to have intercourse with it in. How you think that would lead to diaphragm use is beyond me, we are faithful and sacrificing Catholics and I find the idea very insulting. And no this product is not ‘100% effective for preventing pregnancy’ it is not effective AT ALL, because it is NOT a contraceptive. Period, end of story. It is not being used for contraceptive purposes and neither is it marketed or approved for preventing pregnancy, so yes, the OP can use it without fear of sin.

Also, I don’t know about the softcup, but the usual menstrual cups have good sized holes around the top rim, I think in case of overflow (sorry if that’s tmi!).
 
just because they say it isn’t so doesn’t mean it can’t be.
It doesn’t matter - that’s not what it’s intended for. Wearing tighty whiteys can lower a man’s sperm count. Does that mean that men who wear briefs are guilty of possibly decreasing the chance they can impregnate their wives? There are lots of things that affect conception probabilities. Only some of those things are contraceptive. A menstural cup is not contraceptive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top