Will all the rich be punished?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Giod888
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are making me feel guilty about about having electricity, tv, and Internet access. Afterall we can all live without these luxeries and riches but who in their right mind with a family is going to choose to live in poverty.
 
You guys are making me feel guilty about about having electricity, tv, and Internet access. Afterall we can all live without these luxeries and riches but who in their right mind with a family is going to choose to live in poverty.
I do not choose to live without those things either, and I don’t feel in the least guilty about having them. Blessed? Yes. Guilty? No.

Alan
 
You guys are making me feel guilty about about having electricity, tv, and Internet access. Afterall we can all live without these luxeries and riches but who in their right mind with a family is going to choose to live in poverty.
It is not my intention to make anyone feel guilty. At the same time I feel it is extremely healthy to look at and recognize that the things you list ARE either outright luxuries (tv’s and vcr’s etc) or at least blessings (electricity, clean running water, plumbing etc)

I would also ask, if one gives up the “luxuries” are they “living in poverty”? I don’t mean turn of the electric etc, but living a more simple life, with fewer “things” can be very rewarding BOTH financially and Spiritually. Financially because you have more money to save, or contribute, for the really important things (college or charities). Spiritually because fewer things (especially noisy things) means more rest, time for prayer and reflection. Not to mention more “family time”.

Again - none of this is intended to make anyone feel guilty - or to dictate lifestyle. Just points to consider and reflect upon.

Peace
james
 
I agree with the consensus that being materially wealthy does not automatically prevent heaven. It did for the rich man who wouldn’t sell his possessions, because he was attached to them – therefore they had power over his decision making.
I believe the Church interprets Jesus’ second statement to the rich young man (i.e. on selling all you have, etc.) to be part of the evangelical counsels and thus not strictly necessary for Salvation.
 
We should use our possessions to in some way to serve God. If our possessions are simply to serve ourselves, we are on the wrong path.
How to use them to serve God? This is another question worth a thread here in itself.
 
I read Jesus’ famous quote:
[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 19:24[/BIBLEDRB]
Now, this question has been in my mind for a a while since then: Does he mean all the rich, or only the rich who are corrupted by their money and greed?
No. That would make no sense because later Joseph of Arimethea is described as being a “rich man” and a follower of Jesus. Jesus was probably just telling them not to get attached to their worldly posessions, like TV’s and refridgerators.

This is where you have to read scripture with sense. I mean, it makes no sense that Jesus would say rich people can’t go to heaven. There obviously have been rich Christians throughout history, and obviously a lot went to heaven.

End of discussion.

-Snakemauler
 
If that’s the case, then I suppose one would want to measure “rich” by his attachment to possessions, rather than the quantity thereof.

Alan
I also agree completely. There can be poor people, as well, who are attached to wordly possessions. It is not only the rich folks. Plus, is not *envy *one of the seven deadly sins? Greed is abundant, but people tend to forget about the envy within our culture. Are there not many of us trying to keep up with the Jones’?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top