• Thread starter Thread starter Binney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Binney:
Will Catholics keep giving?

msnbc.msn.com/id/7575351/
Well yes, you poll the dissidents and then marvel at their answers. Why not ask the faithful? I know our Bishop’s appeal has continued to be funded and although there was a little blip the year the sex scandals were reported the levels of giving have returned.

FWIW as a former Protestant I was surprised to hear that on average Catholics give less but I am wondering if that is simply less at the parish level with the additional gifts to other Catholic oriented charities?

Lisa N

I’m here in Portland. The economy here has been a factor too. It’s not just the scandal. The wallets close when businesses leave, people lose jobs, and taxes are raised. But Catholics keep giving. It goes to Catholic organizations to help the needy more often now, probably less in the collection basket.

This also is not just about punishing the diocese, but also about not contributing to lawsuit winnings (won on allegations that most likely aren’t exactly true and accurate).

Also, our parish has been good about becoming more transparent as to where the money is going, so that we can act accordingly.

My parish is a Dominican Parish, so as we are in the diocese of Portland, we operate with a certainly autonomy. However, being a part of Western Dominican Provence has it’s own set of issues, quite parallel to the situation in Portland: liberalism has allowed these sex abusers the space to do their evil, and quite often, forgivness of their sins has come without proper justice (modern liberalism in a nutshell, eh??) Thusly, the idea of my hard-earned dollar going down to the Provincial in any way irks me. They have to get their act together down there.

I suppose we could benefit from a little cleaning out. If we are stripped bare and still keep on thriving, then what can they do to us? That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Let them come.
If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. Matthew 5:40
We faithful servants of the Lord will continue to do our duties.

Who’s to say that the people unhappy with the Church are contributing a great deal? I know I don’t donate to certain causes and organizations that are against my moral convictions. Maybe they stopped giving before, if they even gave at all ( I know that when I held views against the Church I didn’t contribute).

The Church is not a money-making-machine. It uses what it needs to keep running and gives the rest to the needy. By not giving to the Church you deprive people who are in need (unless you direct those funds to other charities, of course).

40.png
legeorge:
I suppose we could benefit from a little cleaning out. If we are stripped bare and still keep on thriving, then what can they do to us? That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Let them come.
If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. Matthew 5:40
We faithful servants of the Lord will continue to do our duties.
Your idea makes sense in light of my recent experience at some Carribean islands this past week. I was struck by the number of poor people on a couple of these islands which are mainly Catholic. It seems that Catholicism is a part of their earliest history yet the poor natives thrive and are extremely content and peaceful. Catholicism hasn’t changed their economic situation in life but simply has become a part of their culture. Too often we place accent on $$$$$ amount and not enough on the action of giving what we can.

40.png
Binney:
Your idea makes sense in light of my recent experience at some Carribean islands this past week. I was struck by the number of poor people on a couple of these islands which are mainly Catholic. It seems that Catholicism is a part of their earliest history yet the poor natives thrive and are extremely content and peaceful. Catholicism hasn’t changed their economic situation in life but simply has become a part of their culture. Too often we place accent on $$$$$ amount and not enough on the action of giving what we can.
I guess I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. When Jesus said “Give all you have to the poor and follow me” the rich guy just couldn’t do it. I have been wondering if I could do it. I think that if I didn’t have a family, I would get rid of everything except the bare essentials, store some momentos at my parents’ house, and go be a missionary somewhere. I think it is quite telling to note that Catholicism is growing substantially in 3rd world countries. It seems that, the poorer a country is, the more devout it’s people are. Perhaps we could benefit from a little poverty, no?

40.png
legeorge:
I think it is quite telling to note that Catholicism is growing substantially in 3rd world countries. It seems that, the poorer a country is, the more devout it’s people are. Perhaps we could benefit from a little poverty, no?
Money isn’t a bad thing. If used properly it can help provide basic provisions for the truly needy. There are many in need.

It was really striking for me to see the contentedness and peace of some of the Carribean natives who had so little. I could hear the joy in their voices and genuine loving warmth in their eyes.

40.png
legeorge:
I guess I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. When Jesus said “Give all you have to the poor and follow me” the rich guy just couldn’t do it. I have been wondering if I could do it. I think that if I didn’t have a family, I would get rid of everything except the bare essentials, store some momentos at my parents’ house, and go be a missionary somewhere. I think it is quite telling to note that Catholicism is growing substantially in 3rd world countries. It seems that, the poorer a country is, the more devout it’s people are. Perhaps we could benefit from a little poverty, no?
I think about those verses alot. The Gospels seem to call on us to live simple lives. I don’t think money is bad per se, but I think consumerism and excessive consumption are contrary to our calling. I agree that we could all benefit from a little poverty.

40.png
legeorge:
It seems that, the poorer a country is, the more devout it’s people are. Perhaps we could benefit from a little poverty, no?
Amen.

40.png
Binney:
Money isn’t a bad thing. If used properly it can help provide basic provisions for the truly needy. There are many in need.

It was really striking for me to see the contentedness and peace of some of the Carribean natives who had so little. I could hear the joy in their voices and genuine loving warmth in their eyes.
No, money isn’t always bad. But I am starting to feel more and more distaste for it. Maybe, if I didn’t have anything at all, I would be happier. As it is, we have to fight tooth and nail just to hold onto what we have. There are ever increasing demands on the little money we have coming in and no prospects of our income changing drastically in the near future. Since so much of my worry involves money, I guess I have a tendency to dislike it. I have this desire to shed my cloak of consumerism like a snake sheds it’s old skin. I hate it when I go to stores and see such beautiful things around me. I would love to buy my kids a great swingset, or a pool, or paint the house, or get some furniture that isn’t hand-me-down or just be able to fix things when they break. Then I realize what’s really important, and feel guilty for wanting those things. I know why this is happening to me, though. I confessed about it before Divine Mercy Sunday, and now God is trying to help me out of the consumerist trap. It is confusing and painful. I’m not sure where to go from here. I have a strong desire to simplify my life, but I’m not sure how I can do that with a husband and 4 kids under the age of 11. I guess I just have to keep listening for God’s guidance.

40.png
ansel123:
I think about those verses alot. The Gospels seem to call on us to live simple lives. I don’t think money is bad per se, but I think consumerism and excessive consumption are contrary to our calling. I agree that we could all benefit from a little poverty.
I work for rich people. They are not happy. For one, there is always someone richer which bugs them. Plus they have built up these overburdened lifestyles that increasingly cost to maintain. THey have to keep working harder to make up for the increasing cost of everything. Believe me I don’t think it’s the money that makes them unhappy. Their poverty is poverty of spirit. I try to push them to do more donations. That IMO would be uplifting. It’s their focus on themselves that makes them unhappy. Oh well. Worth a try!

As to simpler lives, I think we can all simplify a bit. I just feel for struggling young families these days. It’s getting tougher all the time to put food on the table, pay the rent/mortgage and car payment…then gas:eek: prices are up. It’s really tough but we in the US are so much better of financially than most that it’s all in how you look at it

Lisa N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back