Will God Judge me as a Catholic or Protestant?

• Thread starter Thread starter Leonel1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All others are sinful separation from that one body.
Yes, you are correct. The separation itself is sinful and needs to be repented of, and then unity restored. Unity was very much on the mind of Jesus just before his crucifixion, as we see in John 17. And yet, amongst those who call themselves Christians who are separated from us, there is much good and much truth in some of what they say. It can be helpful to the building of one’s faith. There’s a danger of course as well, of being led away from the church. But the picture is a little bit more complicated than they’re all wrong and we’re right. For instance, it’s probably a lot better to listen to evangelical protestant Christian radio than, for instance, rap radio.

Last edited:
If you come from a faith tradition where only faith is needed, that explains it.

If you come from a faith tradition where a living & active faith producing good works out of love for God matters, it may confuse.

Last edited:
God will judge you by your faithfulness to your beliefs not what those beliefs are? That cannot be what we really think right?

It’s not. We’re called to follow the laws of God on our hearts and from the Church, not just what we think is true.

There is a teaching that goes something like;

I think

If someone leaves the Catholic Church knowing that it is necessary for salvation is excommunicated.
If someone knowing the Church is necessary for salvation and fails to enter it…is damned?

I wrote it that way on purpose, but the concept of the question is exactly the same

Anyone who received a valid baptism, whether Catholic or protestant is a member of the body of Christ and has been cleansed of original sin.
However, they can and do commit personal sins (venial and mortal).
Remember that the Church teaches there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church (there are various ways this can be achieved other than sacramental baptism).
Also, everyone in Heaven is Catholic.

Remember that the Church teaches there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church
The Church also teaches that those who are not Catholic will be saved.
If someone leaves the Catholic Church knowing that it is necessary for salvation is excommunicated.
If someone knowing the Church is necessary for salvation and fails to enter it…is damned?
I’m not sure about the excommunication issue, but it’s my understanding that those who leave the church, knowing that it is the Church Christ established (aka necessary for salvation) would also be damned?

Last edited:
No it doesn’t. Show me in the CCC where it says that.
Invincible ignorance for those who are not Catholics would, if applicable to a particular person, put them inside the Catholic Church.
Same applies to catechumens.

There are no non-Catholics in Heaven.

By the way you cannot even say Catholics “will” be saved. There is no salvation assurance. Only those who die in a state of grace are saved. Nobody knows in advance who will be saved.

Last edited:
I am unable to answer your question except to say that God will judge all of us fairly and justly and with mercy based on our faith, love, and by what we do in this world.

In other words, we will be judged by our love of God within our hearts, mind, and souls, and by our love for our fellow man. (Matthew 22:37).

Some people think that it’s just our faith that matters, but I think it’s our faith put into action that is key.

I am reminded of the Willie Nelson song, “You Were Always on my Mind” about a guy who didn’t put his love into action towards his beloved even though he often thought of her, and subsequently loses her, which is sad because it reminds me that it takes more than good intentions in this life to make it to heaven. It’s a living faith that is put into action that really matters, in my opinion.

Last edited:
By the way you cannot even say Catholics “will” be saved. There is no salvation assurance. Only those who die in a state of grace are saved. Nobody knows in advance who will be saved.
Arent you contradicting yourself?

Arent you contradicting yourself?
With what? If you mean salvation assurance that is something Protestants believe. It means (according to them) if you believe in Jesus you are saved no matter how much you sin and keep on sinning. That is why I said there is no salvation assurance. Nobody knows while they are alive that they are assured of being saved.

Last edited:
That there are no non-Catholics in heaven but that salvation has no assurance?

If only those who die in a state of grace are saved and since not all Catholics have salvation then why would it matter to God whether or not you are Catholic?
if you believe in Jesus you are saved no matter how much you sin and keep on sinning.
That is not a true belief of all Protestants any more then all Catholic worship Mary.

Last edited:
40.png
Lucy_1:
No it doesn’t. Show me in the CCC where it says that.
[818] “However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”

[819] “Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth” are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: “the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements.” Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him, and are in themselves calls to “Catholic unity.”
I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m saying the same thing in a different way. Catholic is a term encompassing all believers in Christ. Catholic refers to the universal church, so in a very real sense, many protestants are already a part of the “catholic church,” they simply have not come in to the Catholic Church.

Last edited:
not sure about the excommunication issue, but it’s my understanding that those who leave the church, knowing that it is the Church Christ established (aka necessary for salvation) would also be damned?
That sounds more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back