Will the Brown Scapular protect one from committing mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben_Sinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If one wears the Brown Scapular, not as a presumptive ‘get out of hell free’ card…but with sincerity to avoid mortal sin, will they be protected from falling into mortal sin?

I wear mine every day and I struggle with very blasphemous temptations that tempt me to stop believing in the faith, but I still keep hope that as long as I have the Scapular on, I will never cross the line and actually go through with my apostasy…
Can wearing the Scapular be helpful in avoiding mortal sin?

Yes.

For one is seeking the grace of God - reminded of the “yoke of Christ” and to live faithfully your baptism - have sought the blessing of the Church --are seeking the intercession of Mary the Mother of God and those of the Carmelite Order pray in a particular way I imagine for those with this devotion… (tis not the object in itself…)

Such can be a good sign - a reminder - a profession of ones Faith in Christ.

But could one commit a mortal sin? Yes. We have free will.

But that free will is as one Doctor of the Church tells us a great defense against mortal sin! It is like a dagger that we can defend ourselves with. Even the devil - the noted - cannot force us to commit a mortal sin.

Let us continue to follow Christ - for him is* true life*!

And go forward bravely - with grace, the shield of faith and our dagger…
 
Very true. I will stick with placing my faith in Christ alone. To each their own.
It is through Jesus Christ alone that any sacramentals have value. A blessed crucifix is a sacramental. We use these objects to remind us of who we are (adopted sons/daughters of God) and to help us throughout the day to not forget that.

In a moment of temptation for any sin we see a crucifix or feel the brown scapular around our neck, that can help us to avoid the sin that we are tempted to commit. This is just one example of many. It only becomes superstitious when we think that it is the object in and of itself which has some kind of power apart from God.

Edit** “Jesus Christ alone…” of course does not exclude the Father or Holy Spirit". See how easily words can be correct, but also misleading.
 
IX is what the Priest said when he told us about 🤷
Jesus gave us his Mother…so I will go with his wish (as has been understood down through the centuries) - she is our Mother now too.
Unity with Jesus includes being united with Mary…and me and all the rest of the family…
I disagree with the unity with Mary but you having a right to believe that
In this matter. Yes.
For he wants us to know that there is the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit and to always have true life in him - the life of the Holy Trinity…
But yes as you can see it was “teasing”…
I already addressed that about my comment of Christ alone
 
It is through Jesus Christ alone that any sacramentals have value. A blessed crucifix is a sacramental. We use these objects to remind us of who we are (adopted sons/daughters of God) and to help us throughout the day to not forget that.

In a moment of temptation for any sin we see a crucifix or feel the brown scapular around our neck, that can help us to avoid the sin that we are tempted to commit. This is just one example of many. It only becomes superstitious when we think that it is the object in and of itself which has some kind of power apart from God.
I know about the Brown Scapular. I just respectfully disagree is all. My beef mainly is what you mentioned about the superstition many fall into. My grandmother was one of those.
 
I know about the Brown Scapular. I just respectfully disagree is all. My beef mainly is what you mentioned about the superstition many fall into. My grandmother was one of those.
I understand what you are saying, but feel the need to mention that because some people have an erroneous perception of something does not mean the sacramental is a bad thing. In fact, it can be quite beneficial.
 
I know about the Brown Scapular. I just respectfully disagree is all. My beef mainly is what you mentioned about the superstition many fall into. My grandmother was one of those.
Honestly I was one that fell into that for a very long time as well. I thought God was just waiting for me to take it off so he could have the chance to strike me dead. Now that has changed. The problem isn’t with the sacramental, it’s with the people that may sometimes use them in a sinful manner. That’s what makes it important to explain the truth of them in order to avoid that. But people can abuse prayer as well, but that doesn’t mean we should stop praying.
 
I understand what you are saying, but feel the need to mention that because some people have an erroneous perception of something does not mean the sacramental is a bad thing.
Totally agree Dorothy! I know all about the Brown Scapular and disagree with on many issues but do not damn those that find peace in it. 🙂
 
Honestly I was one that fell into that for a very long time as well. I thought God was just waiting for me to take it off so he could have the chance to strike me dead. Now that has changed. The problem isn’t with the sacramental, it’s with the people that may sometimes use them in a sinful manner. That’s what makes it important to explain the truth of them in order to avoid that. But people can abuse prayer as well, but that doesn’t mean we should stop praying.
Very well stated! I believe in divine healing but then we have the televangelist out there that ruin it for everyone.
 
I disagree with the unity with Mary but you having a right to believe that
Saint Paul is good to read on this great mystery of the “Body of Christ” that great wonderful supernatural unity.

“Jesus and me only” is not the will of God…

But I imagine you may have more to say (clarify that yes you want to have unity with all who are in Christ …that you do not really only want Jesus and me etc etc…) but this is though off topic of the thread…so let us leave it there.
 
Saint Paul is good to read on this great mystery of the “Body of Christ” that great wonderful supernatural unity.

“Jesus and me” is not the will of God…
Yes Paul is wonderful when it comes to the Body of Christ! I couldn’t agree more!

I am enjoying this conversation but feel we are extremely off topic now lol. Sorry
 
I am sorry that you did not bother to read the link that I posted, SJacob7, as it clearly explains what Sacramentals are to the faithful.

Here is an excerpt, from the Baltimore Catechism for you:

A sacramental is anything set apart or blessed by the Church to excite good thoughts and to increase devotion, and through these movements of the heart to remit venial sin. The chief sacramental is the Sign of the Cross.
– The Baltimore Catechism

Again, for those of you who do not understand, they have nothing to do with superstitions at all.

I provided a link for you to look at, in order to help you with understanding what they are.

It would truly help you if you would take a look at it and actually read it, instead of continuing to promote that Sacramentals are objects of superstition, which is simply untrue.
 
Very true. I will stick with placing my faith in Christ alone. To each their own.
You know there is a thread here which tries to deny the reasons why protestants think catholics are pagans ,and they deny it .By the way I am not protestant ,but a catholic who believes in Christ . They deny it is pagan when it is so evident ; they deny the truth .

I have no problem with certain people who wish to do these things because it makes them feel good,but for the Church to endorse them as ‘sacrements’ ?
 
You know there is a thread here which tries to deny the reasons why protestants think catholics are pagans ,and they deny it .By the way I am not protestant ,but a catholic who believes in Christ . They deny it is pagan when it is so evident ; they deny the truth .

I have no problem with certain people who wish to do these things because it makes them feel good,but for the Church to endorse them as ‘sacrements’ ?
Just a correction for your last sentence…it is “sacramentals”. They are to remind us of the importance of the sacraments (Eucharist, etc.) and to prepare our hearts for them.

As for the rest of your post, it seems to me to be a put-down of the truths that Jesus taught. Am I understanding that correctly?

Peace and all good things to you,

Dorothy
 
As for the rest of your post, it seems to me to be a put-down of the truths that Jesus taught. Am I understanding that correctly?

Peace and all good things to you,

Dorothy
I am confused as well:shrug:
 
Just a correction for your last sentence…it is “sacramentals”. They are to remind us of the importance of the sacraments (Eucharist, etc.) and to prepare our hearts for them.

As for the rest of your post, it seems to me to be a put-down of the truths that Jesus taught. Am I understanding that correctly?

Peace and all good things to you,

Dorothy
HI Dorothy,

I just wanted to say thanks for your comments. You always add such thoughtful comments to threads when I see them, and I appreciate your comments! 🙂
 
HI Dorothy,

I just wanted to say thanks for your comments. You always add such thoughtful comments to threads when I see them, and I appreciate your comments! 🙂
I agree. Dorothy is always so sweet and charitable!
 
You know there is a thread here which tries to deny the reasons why protestants think catholics are pagans ,and they deny it .By the way I am not protestant ,but a catholic who believes in Christ . They deny it is pagan when it is so evident ; they deny the truth .

I have no problem with certain people who wish to do these things because it makes them feel good,but for the Church to endorse them as ‘sacrements’ ?
Benotagoat, I do not want to take this thread “off topic,” but I would be happy to share the titles of some Catholic books with you, that can help you understand the Catholic faith better, if you like. Just let me know. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top