Will the damned taste Heaven momentarily when they die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelka

New member
As everyone has their particular judgement with Jesus does that mean they will be at the edge of Heaven for this judgement? Surely Jesus isn’t going to Hell to do it? Is this what makes it worse for them in Hell because they felt the loss of Heaven? Or would Heaven for them feel like Hell due to their choice?

Thanks.
 
I also wonder where particular judgement takes place. If I had to guess, it would be a place designated for the particular judgement but I have no clue.
 
C.S. Lewis I think was on the right track. I think, personally, that when a person dies he is not in a particular place per se but simply with Jesus. Now, since our destination depends on what we choose before/as we die, and not ‘after’, but just a continuous kind of ‘now’, the person who has chosen to reject Jesus at death will experience Jesus’ presence, and the judgment, as hell, while the person who accepts Jesus will experience that presence and judgment as heaven.

Even though Jesus is the same in both cases, let’s say that the experience of Jesus’ pure light is warming, welcoming, and opens up vistas of incredible beauty to the person who accepts Jesus, while that very same pure light is cold, blinding, and opens up vistas of ugliness untold to the person who rejects Him. The person who accepts Jesus is seeing then that person’s pure clean soul; the one who rejects is seeing that person’s dead, rotten soul, both by 'The Light" of Christ.

That’s a possibility I lean toward .
 
I don’t think they will see Heaven when they die. However, I do think that at the resurrection, when the damned and the elect are all gathered for the Final Judgment, the damned will see what the elect are experiencing, they will see the pure bliss and contentment that the elect are experiencing, and that will probably fill them with a greater sense of loss than they had before. That sense will stick with them for the rest of eternity.
 
As everyone has their particular judgement with Jesus does that mean they will be at the edge of Heaven for this judgement? Surely Jesus isn’t going to Hell to do it? Is this what makes it worse for them in Hell because they felt the loss of Heaven? Or would Heaven for them feel like Hell due to their choice?

Thanks.
No. The Church teaches infallibly that if a person dies in a state of mortal sin they go immediately to Hell.
 
Do you have to wait in like to see him and be judged? Suppose someone dies the same time you do, who would be first in line?
 
AFAIK there is no ‘time’ in heaven.
And thus, no ‘line’ either.
 
Given that God is everywhere, at all times, and equally present at each point, no, we will not wait in line.

Not gonna lie though, I’m a little concerned about the final judgment. I mean, is it just going to start with Adam and be like: “Adam, these are all the negative results of your choices, and here are the positive. queue the cycle of all of human history. Alright, Eve, your turn…” That’s… I mean… I know that there’s no impatience in Heaven, and that time doesn’t really matter, but that would take a looooooonnnnnnng time…

Personally, I hope it’s a sort of instantaneous infusion of knowledge, kinda like what happened to Paul.
 
Last edited:
If near death experiences are an indication, people experience either hell or heaven very soon after death.
 
“I’m sorry, sir, but this line is for sins of weakness only. Sins of malice need to be judged in the next line over. Please proceed to the end and fill out these forms…”

🤬
 
I used to think eternal punishment was unthinkable. Now the cherry on time is taunting?
 
The problem with this theory is that it supposes God forces people to stay with Him, even if they don’t want it.

I prefer more the “Hell is voluntary retreat from God” theory.
 
A priest whom I wholly trust has compared Judgement, and the life eternal, to the government hall in Coruscant, where everybody sees the One at the center equally. I.e., you aren’t waiting behind anybody, and the “effect” of Judgement would take effect at once.

Heaven as a “place” should be carefully rethought, as if that was essentially what it was, one could travel there. Rather, it is a new kind of life.

ICXC NIKA
 
“I’m sorry, sir, but this line is for sins of weakness only. Sins of malice need to be judged in the next line over. Please proceed to the end and fill out these forms…”

🤬
That was great XD

But I was thinking more along the lines of literally going through every last person who has ever lived, one at a time, and showing the full impact their choices had on all of salvation history for everyone to see… the thought of it hurts my brain. XD
 
Last edited:
Any taste of Heaven is a great reward. I doubt it.

Here’s a quote from medieval Dominican Meister Eckhart:
And I have often said that there is a power in the soul that touches neither time nor flesh. It flows from the spirit and remains in the spirit and is wholly spiritual. In this power God is always verdant and blossoming in joy and the honor that he is in himself. That is a joy so heartfelt, a joy so incomprehensible and great that no one can tell it all. For it is in this power that the eternal Father ceaselessly bring his eternal Son so to birth, that this power also is bearing the Son of the Father, and bearing itself, that same Son, in the single power of the Father. If a man possessed a whole kingdom, or all the riches of the earth, and gave up the whole of it for the love of God and became one of the poorest men that ever lived on earth, and if God gave him as much to suffer as he has ever given any man, and if he suffered it all until his death, and if God then gave him one single glimpse of what he is in this power, his joy would be so great that all his suffering and poverty would be too little. Yes, even if after this God never gave him the kingdom of heaven, he still would have received a reward great enough for all that he had ever suffered…"
 
Isn’t that theory a modern solution for our squeamish generation, having no stomach for the classical teaching about Hell?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top