Will we know who went to hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeschoolDad

Staff member
If we die in God’s friendship and finally make it to heaven, will we know who “didn’t make it”? And what of our loved ones? If, God forbid, one of our loved ones ended up in hell, we do know that we will not be sad about it, as there is no sadness in heaven. Will we be satisfied, finally beholding God’s justice as well as His mercy, that this justice has been made perfect? And could this be part of the purgatorial process, that we will be freed of all earthly attachments, including our sentiments towards our loved ones who did not choose God as their last end?

I am sure God will explain to us if our friend, parent etc is not in Heaven and that we will at some point be freed of the attachment to that person. We don’t know whether that would happen in Purgatory or if Purgatory might not be necessary for that.

It is hard for me to imagine that I would feel content in heaven if I were informed by Gd that one of my loved ones or dear friends was in hell. I would hope that Gd would spare me the pain by not informing me of this.

Last edited:
Well, i hope i won’t go to heaven nor hell.
I hope i’ll end up in the otherworld with my gods.
But, i guess, if you end up in heaven and you’ll ask your lord nicely he might tell you?
I don’t know, but why shouldn’t he tell you?

Well, i hope i won’t go to heaven nor hell.
I hope i’ll end up in the otherworld with my gods.
But, i guess, if you end up in heaven and you’ll ask your lord nicely he might tell you?
I don’t know, but why shouldn’t he tell you?
There are no other gods!!

To you there aren’t, to me there are…
To me, your god doesn’t exist, yet i accept your beliefe.
We both do that “beliefing”, which means we both know nothing about the truth.
Otherwise it wouldn’t be called beliefing, it would be called knowing… 😉

As the Catechism says, at the end “We shall know the ultimate meaning of the whole work of creation and of the entire economy of salvation and understand the marvelous ways by which his Providence led everything towards its final end.” (CCC 1040).

We will understand how their sufferings are just and appropriate, etc. and in accordance with God’s perfect will.

St. Thomas discusses the following questions here:

Do the saints see the sufferings of the damned?
Do they pity them?
Do they rejoice in their sufferings?

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm

Last edited:
As the Catechism says, at the end “We shall know the ultimate meaning of the whole work of creation and of the entire economy of salvation and understand the marvelous ways by which his Providence led everything towards its final end.” (CCC 1040).

We will understand how their sufferings are just and appropriate, etc. and in accordance with God’s perfect will.

St. Thomas discusses the following questions here:

Do the saints see the sufferings of the damned?
Do they pity them?
Do they rejoice in their sufferings?

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm
This pretty well covers it all. Thanks for passing this on.

It’s illogical for more than one god to exist in the Universe. More than one infinity cannot share the same Universe because at some point, they would conflict.

To you there aren’t, to me there are…
To me, your god doesn’t exist, yet i accept your beliefe.
We both do that “beliefing”, which means we both know nothing about the truth.
Otherwise it wouldn’t be called beliefing, it would be called knowing… 😉
For everyone here in this forum, within 30, 50, 70, 80 years tops, we will all know one way or another, and the discussion will be over.

I think when it comes to believing in one Gd, several gods, or no god, logic and reason are overrated. Hopefully, we will know the truth one day, that is, if there is only one truth.

That’s not a very good approach to God. God is perfectly reasonable, and so is the Divine. It’s very simple actually, but at the same time it’s beyond our human understanding.

I didn’t say that Gd is unreasonable. It is humans whose ability to reason is faulty as well as human reason itself. Your last statement hints at this.

We know there is a general judgement. I think we will find out who is in hell and why then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back