Wine preference....?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheresaLS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVE Lambrusco! 😃

I also like the Cafe Zinfandel (I think it’s by Beringer?)

My fave, though, is a good Riesling… not as dry as Chablis and sweeter than most wines, but not so sweet as to make it a dessert wine… I prefer it over champagne!

New Mexico (which, incidentally, was where the first wineries were established in the New World, thanks to the Spanish conquest and the missionaries who planted vines to grow grapes for communion wine) has FABULOUS wines… most notably St. Clair’s and Blue Teal, both from the Deming area (that’s in southwestern New Mexico) and they make the best Riesling I’ve ever had. Gewurtztraminner (not sure if I spelled it right) is also a fabulous white wine (German) that has a little more ā€œkickā€ than Riesling. Also excellent (my favorite is locally made by Tularosa Vineyards… fifteen miles from where I live!)
 
I really enjoy a full bodied red wine. Cabernet’s tend to be my favorite. I like ones with rich/complex flavors. I recently had a Stag’s Leap Artemis cabernet that was outstanding. I think one of the best full bodied cabernet’s that is quite affordable is: Raymond Reserve 2005(Napa Valley). You can find it between $19.99-$27.00 depending on the state and store.

I also enjoy Amarone,Chianti, Sangiovese. However, I generally find myself gravitating back to Cabernet.
 
Generally, I prefer whites for casual drinking, Pinot Grigio.

My wife, the French Canadian, prefers reds, so that’s what we drink more of. Often Merlots, but Cote du Rhone when we can get a nice one.

I did bring back a case of a late harvest Riesling from Traverse City, MI that I REALLY enjoyed ( Grand Traverse winery, 2006)
 
I like all kinds of wine. 😃 I buy wine based on the bottle or the name. I bought some wine called ā€œLittle Black Dressā€. It’s a merlot, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’m sooo not a wine snob, I mean expert, lol. 😃
 
I prefer a medium bodied sweet wine, but I won’t limit myself with the exception of Ports. Those are too bitter for me; not to mention expensive. The wine I make at home is from Wild Blackberry and is very good. It is a full bodied wine, but it is very sweet so I like it a lot. God has blessed me with a low tolerance so it doesn’t take much to satisfy me. šŸ™‚
 
Going slightly on your comments about Greek wine-- I absolutely love the ancient Greek literature (like Homer’s Odyssey) which talks about the epic heroes sitting down to meals, with great craters of ā€˜sweet wine’ (methu hedu) and trenchers of meat, or again, traveling on the ā€˜wine-dark sea’ (a notoriously problematic phrase… we really don’t know what he meant). Apparently they would dilute it by many parts.
Yup. Whoever drank undiluted wine was regarded as rash at best, barbarian at worst. The same was true in Rome. My guess about ā€œwine-darkā€ is that when you stare into a cup of deep red, you don’t see anything. Depending on the angle and distance, you’ll see the colour differently, too. I’ve never delved into Homer, though, apart from the translation that was done at school.
Here’s how the Nova Vulgata renders it. ā€œet vinum, quod laetificat cor hominis.ā€
Oh no, a comma! 😦 Just kidding. šŸ˜‰ And yup, there’s a translation with singular ā€œhominisā€ too, probably more frequently used, actually. I’ve also seen the version with singular ā€œhominisā€ translated into plural in a living language, obviously under the influence of the ā€œhominumā€ one. Wonder what it was in Hebrew.
 
what is an ice wine?? I tried the moscato this month for the first time. it was fun and the only wine I ever drank iced. It is VERY sweet. I wonder if there is a similarity.
Ice wine is made when the grapes actually are pressed after being slightly frozen from a frost, etc. It concentrates the juices and makes a very sweet wineā€¦šŸ™‚
 
I also really enjoy port…and no, it is not for everyone…but I also like sherry…not just for cooking withā€¦šŸ˜ƒ
 
I also really enjoy port…and no, it is not for everyone…but I also like sherry…not just for cooking withā€¦šŸ˜ƒ
I was thinking this, that probably if someone enjoys port wine, they’d like sherry:D…both have similiar textures. I think everyone’s tastes are so interesting! šŸ™‚
 
I was thinking this, that probably if someone enjoys port wine, they’d like sherry:D…both have similiar textures. I think everyone’s tastes are so interesting! šŸ™‚
It seems to be true…they are rather unique and I only drink them in small amount after dinner or something to that effect. I drink wine much more though…
 
I was thinking this, that probably if someone enjoys port wine, they’d like sherry:D…both have similiar textures. I think everyone’s tastes are so interesting! šŸ™‚
And the same person would also love spiced mulled wine! šŸ™‚
 
And the same person would also love spiced mulled wine! šŸ™‚
Oh my favorite was served at the Advent market in Austria!..you would be wandering the amazing stalls selling all kinds of Christmas things with a cup of steaming hot wine in your hand…oh I miss it! šŸ™‚
 
Oh my favorite was served at the Advent market in Austria!..you would be wandering the amazing stalls selling all kinds of Christmas things with a cup of steaming hot wine in your hand…oh I miss it! šŸ™‚
I can imagine. šŸ™‚

Oh, and I’ve had some Chilean wine today from Isla Negra valley (this). It was supposed to have same berry, plum etc. aftertaste I didn’t really feel, but it was a nice semi-dry red regardless.
 
Ice wine is made when the grapes actually are pressed after being slightly frozen from a frost, etc. It concentrates the juices and makes a very sweet wineā€¦šŸ™‚
That is often done with all sorts of fruit too. Often times winemakers, including myself, will take the fruits and freeze them for a short period of time, This allows the cells to lyse and break apart the overall structure releasing more concentrated juice during the time the must is given to steep. Since the sucrose has increased more, it will be in too much abundance for most it be converted to alcohol and that is wine you have sweeter wine. If you’re one for clarity though, more attention must be given when draining wine into the varies vessels as sediment (especially microscopic particles) will cloud up the wine. Sulfates are encouraged to bring it all to the bottom and overall time given to allow the sediment to fall should be lengthened a little.
 
Oh my favorite was served at the Advent market in Austria!..you would be wandering the amazing stalls selling all kinds of Christmas things with a cup of steaming hot wine in your hand…oh I miss it! šŸ™‚
Don’t get me started. Never did it feel so much like Christmas than going the markets to shop with gluhwein… ah the memories (you could also mix other alcohols into it, my husband would always get whiskey). I always bought a fresh advent wreath at the market every year.

We lived in Germany from 01-04 and Italy from 04-07 so we sampled wines extensively. (And beer in Germany, but not Italy ewww gross!)

Anyway, I love Chianti or most table reds and Reislings.
 
One of my favorite subjects…wine! I am a huge fan of all kinds of wine, but I mainly gravitate towards reds. Not a big fan of white wine at all.

If I have to choose a favorite it would have to a Red Zinfandel. There are a ton of great wines out there from Cabrenet, Merlot and Pinot Noir that I like as well. I am not overly picky and am not a wine snob…yet. Then again, with my taste for wines, I am not sure that I would become one as I like to buy the bottles that are near $5. Many of these are very good.

Also, my DW just bought me some very nice ā€œbowlā€ red wine glasses and a wine aerator that does wonders for you wine, it is the equivalent to swirling yoru glass 1,000 times

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Veni, vidi, vino.

I came, I saw, I drank. 😃

I love reds. Nothing beats a good red along with a good steak or piece of lamb.šŸ‘
 
btw, I know that’s not proper Latin. Just havin’ fun. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top