Withholding a sin due to ignorance

  • Thread starter Thread starter gfvh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gfvh

Guest
What happens if you withhold a mortal sin because you didn’t know that you have to state every mortal sin you remember? It didn’t happen to me, but I always wanted to know if it would be a sacrilege or not.
 
Last edited:
If a person deliberately holds back a mortal sin, there are consequences: the confession and any thereafter is/are invalid, and any other reception of the sacraments is sacriligious. When the person decides to rectify his situation, he must reconfess all the signs he confessed in the original invalid confession and all subsequent confessions, and he must also confess receiving sacraments sacriligious.

For a person who through no fault of his own misses confessing a mortal sin, there is no problem, and when he learns that the act is sinful, he should confess it the next time he goes to confession.
 
By “no fault of his own”, I suppose you mean “forgetting”, but is ignorance “no fault of his own” too?
 
sticking strictly to the original question, the confession is invalid. you should STATE EVERY SIN you remember at confession; both mortal and venial. that means you should not withhold any in the first place. you do not need to go into a detailed story of the origin and execution of each sin, but should at least mention as much as you remember. i understand the word “withhold” to mean deliberately not meaning one or more of the sins for some reasons.
 
I think of the following situation: one person, who had a poor catholic education, but nonetheless is a catholic, when he goes to confession, he does not know he need to state every mortal sin since the last confession, and more or less he confesses as he thinks it is ok in the moment. For example, a sexual sin, he confesses it, but he withhold a certain sin he’s not ready to confess, and maybe he, in a later confession, decides to confess it, but he is very “undisciplined” let’s say, in the way he confesses, due to ignorance. I am from Argentina, I had a very poor cathecism is school, I didn’t know anything about my faith until about 5 years ago. I went to a catholic school 30 years ago. I think that many catholics are in my situation, they don’t know the cathecism. Nonetheless they confess, because I see them in my church. What if they die, not knowing that all the confessions they made were invalid. But by no fault of their own.
 
If they were truly ignorant, the confessions aren’t necessarily invalid. Having said that, it’s hard for me to imagine that someone could regularly attend church and confession for decades and somehow never learn that they were supposed to confess all the mortal sins they remember and not just cherry pick a sin here and there to tell the priest.
 
But in my own country I think is different. Maybe the people skips some mass on sundays and they are never worried for it. They think it is not necessary to confess it or that is not a sin. If you tell them it is a sin, they will think you are the Opus Dei murderer from Da Vinci Code*. I think it is due to lack of catholic education. But I don’t blame the cathechists, because if they teach kids they will go to hell for not attending mass on sunday, they will have all the parents and the TV picketing in the front of the school.
  • I need to say I hate that portrayal of the Opus Dei, but is a common misconception in my country that the Opus Dei are like that.
 
Last edited:
If their ignorance is through no fault of their own, then the confession would, as far as I can tell, be valid. God realizes our limitations, and does not ask the impossible from us
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top