agapewolf;7888116**:
Did you not read the above post that said “mittere” is “sent”? Why is YOUR definition the correct one?
The dictionary definitions today accommodate common understandings of words. Not necessarily what the actual meanings are.
The church, in her wisdom, uses words in a very specific way and applies them in specific ways…that don’t always stay true to the commonly held understanding of the word. The church actually has invented words “incardinate” being one.
such as referring to Mary as “coredemtrix”. This is not applying the word “co” as in “co chairman”. It’s used differently and interpreted differently.
Explaining submission in this way is not dumbing it down, nor making it an easier pill to swallow because the job is more difficult than what originally thought. While the word submit may not originate the way it is explained (and I never claimed the meaning was from the origin— but it turns out from the Latin as explained here it IS!!!) that never the less this is what is meant by the passage, as explained by Theology of the Body.
What I offered was not the definition, but the etymology (origin) of the word. I fully understand how the Church uses words. In Casti Conubbi, submission in marriage IS explained as obedience. Not blind, slave-like obedience but “honorable and trusting obedience”.
At any rate, I was not arguing with the idea of the wife being “under the mission” of her husband; I was simply stating that it is not correct to call that the definition of the word submission. I maintain that it is often explained that way because it is a more pleasant way to look at things (if I’m under his mission, and his mission is to take care of me, I’m helping him help me, not making myself subject to him) than something along the lines of obedience. Again, I’m not saying the concept is wrong; just that it is not accurate to call that the definition of the word.